• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 8320E cooling for mild overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nothing alarming sticks out. Two things concern me, first check and see what slots your ram sticks are in. According to Cpu-Z it's saying it's in the #1 slot. I don't know what Cpu-Z is considering the #1 slot but the sticks should be in the second and last slots when counting them from the Cpu. It's likely not the issue, but i could be. The other thing I noticed is really low voltage with the multiplier at 17.5. Assuming you have the power saving features on, usually the voltage will drop in accordance with the multiplier. If some reason, the voltage is dropping and the multiplier isn't it could be causing the issue. This may explain why you're able to run Prime 95 but it freezes under low load situations.

It could be a BIOS issue, but you did say it was running fine before the previous heatsink died correct? What BIOS are you on? F8f seems to be the only one that supports the 8320e chips.

You can try turning off all the power saving features, cool and quiet, c1e etc and setting Windows power options to high performance. If this takes care of the low load freezing then at least you know it's is the issue and we can address it from there.

Ok, got my hyper 212 installed, left cool and quiet off since last night around 10pm. now almost 5pm, no freezes. i think im gonna start overclocking and go from there. just ran IBT on high for 10 runs, 6 mins and core temp only reached 28 max. my office is located in my basement which is around 68 degrees. will update with overclock trials. test.jpg

Just a suggestion, if you have spare fans lying around. Put a fan blowing on the VRM heatsink which is to the left of the Cpu Socket and also one on the backside of the mother board if possible. It will help keep the socket temperatures in check. G/L

Unfortunately i have windowed case so i cant mount a fan to cool the vrms. i do have an extra cpu heatsink fan i may mount behind the socket. the right side of my case does have a spot for it. Here is my most recent overclock..anything look like a red flag? oc 4.0ghz 1.296v.jpg

I have LLC at medium, seems to be the best for not overshooting and way undershooting the volts. Not sure what is better for stress/stability testing..IBT or prime95?
Looks like the 212evo is performing better than my seidon 120v did. I'm also using some Gelid GC-Extreme TIM. Does it look like I still have headroom voltage and temp wise to go for more of an overclock!? 4.2/4.3 would be ideal, more is always better though, if I can make it!

Well i passed ibt on high, put after p95 for 10mins i had a reboot. Upped volts one notch and am running p95 again.
Had a freeze up during p95 test, not sure if it was an overclock issue or my previous issue. Up the volts a notch again and am retesting.

Last edited:
Well i passed ibt on high, put after p95 for 10mins i had a reboot. Upped volts one notch and am running p95 again.
Had a freeze up during p95 test, not sure if it was an overclock issue or my previous issue. Up the volts a notch again and am retesting.
I have found that if I only use IBT to stress test, I've run into situations where I will bluescreen during my usage. If I can pass 2 hours of Prime Blend I have yet to have an issue with instability. As far as temps, recommended max temps are 70 on the Socket, which I believe is TMPIN 1 on your board and 62 on the Package temp. For cooling the VRM if you have an 80mm fan or smaller you can use double sided tape or a zip tie to mount it to the heatsink. Though, it really is only necessary when one is water cooling and also pushing hard on the Oc. When one moves to watercooling, the Air flow that would usually be running across the VRM heatsink is taken away so they will run a bit hotter then when being cooled on Air.

mandrake is so very right, IBT is a great cooling system test, lots of heat
with amd i also use prime95, it's still overkill but still good.

well after many runs of prime 95 i constantly rebooted after about 6-7 mins, no matter what voltage i was at. so i switched ram slots, left the volts at 1.35, dialed back to 4.0ghz. ran p95 for over 3 hours, no reboots or freezing! going to leave voltage where its at and dial up the ghz 100mhz at a time and see how far i get. i think i'll stick with running p95 for 2 hours, if it passes, ill call it stable.

Motherboards can be fussy about which slots are used

Well I got too 4.1 w/1.362 volts, p95 for over 2 hours, max temp was 53 on the package. Tried to go higher but rebooted. Don't really want too take the volts up higher so I think I'm settling at 4.1. 8 cores at 4.1ghz for $99, i 'm happy!

Well I got too 4.1 w/1.362 volts, p95 for over 2 hours, max temp was 53 on the package. Tried to go higher but rebooted. Don't really want too take the volts up higher so I think I'm settling at 4.1. 8 cores at 4.1ghz for $99, i 'm happy!

Nice OC!
Yea those are really nice chips. My FX-8300 was about the same price 114$ 3.3ghz stock, would easily do 4.4ghz stable on liquid loop.

I'd try lowering the multiplier a little and run up the reference clock and OC some other pieces :D

Yeah. I'm happy with it. The multitasking is great, and like I stated, it shreds thru encoding! If I had the budget, I would've bought an i7 5xxx series, but the price difference is huge and too me it didn't offer the same price/performance ratio.

First, i really do appreciate everyones help, very friendly forum here! Secondly, whats considered to be a safe 24/7 voltage on the 95w fx chips? I run my pc as a plex server so its on all the time so id rather not run a voltage thats gonna shorten my cpu lifespan. But i do wanna see if i can get a few more mhz out of it! Im at 4.1 @ 1.362 right now, my guess is i`ll hit a heat barrier before maxing the chipout with my 212 evo.

This taken directly from AMD.
fx.PNG

I've been running my Fx 8350 at 4.7 Ghz @ 1.46 Cpu V on H20 since I purchased it new when they first came out. I've never had an issue with it.

From this PDF.

Attachments

• AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Thanks, ive downloaded the fx guide, made notes. Since switching ram slots my overclocks seem to be more stable in p95, so ive been able to go up 100mhz at the same voltage. Going to try another bump up from 4,2 to 4.3 at 1.362v. I may be able to go 1 or 2 more steps in voltage before i hit my thermal limit. 4.2 after 2 hours of p95 maxed core at 54c and socket was 58c. 4.3 or 4.4 would be great, but if i'm stuck at 4.2 i'll be happy! 1ghz overclock isnt to shabby!

Here is my most current overclock/screens. 4.3 @ 1.356v. Since switching ram slots, I"ve been able too go from and unstable 4.0ghz at 1.356 to 4.2 p95 stable for over 2 hours, now as the screen shows over an hour of p95 at 4.3 at the same volts! I may try 4.4 if you guys think everything looks good. I will be hitting my thermal limit soon I think. Ignore my other voltages except vin1 and cpu, for some reason hwmonitor gives wrong readings for 12v,5,etc. 4.3.jpg

Thats a good point, ill keep and eye on ambients from now on as i have an indoor thermometer. my office is located in my basement which stays a pretty stable temp wise during this time of year, gets a little cooler in the fall and winter but during summer months it reaches 68-69F. never goes above 70 unless i use my space heater.

Back