• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350,ASUS CROSSHAIR V,G-SKILL 1866 32GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baahoot

Registered
This is my first build in a few years. Last time was in 1999. things sure changed!
First thing is the base build as follows:
mobo Crosshair V, CS:RD9x0 Rev1.xx SB910/950 Bios 1703
CPU FX-8350
RAM G-SKILL 32Gb 1866MHz 10-11-10-30 L10 V1.5
water cooler h-80

I have clocked it to 5.15GHz just over heated under load.
I do have it @ 4.5 now with good heat spread.
FSB:DRAM 1:4 want to have better i just don't understand all the seting in the bios for this board could some one help? Also the temps look good right now
low max
cpu40 54
mobo 33-35
sb 39-42
nb 55-61
and i will get some cpu-z up here soon
Is there any one that could help out with this set-up ??

That's a very good overclock with only a Corsair H80 cooler.

What have you been using to stress test for stability? Our standard tool for that around here is the Prime95 blend test which we advise passing successfully for at least two hours before we concluded a system is stable.

Are you overclocking with the CPU multiplier or the HT Reference (we often call it the FSB but technically that is no longer correct) or some combination of both?

Also, you reference the CPU temp. Nowadays we take that to mean the CPU socket temp but there is another temp we need to know about which is just as important and that is the Package temp (also referred to as "core temp"). If you use HWMonitor (non pro version) to monitor your temps and voltages it will display both plus a multitude of other valuable temps and voltages. HWMonitor is another standard tool around here.

please do your downloading of hardware monitor and prime 95 from the vendor sites, we have seen a few get the crabs a time or two.

thanks for the replies so fast.
i was useing burnit in to test but i real world i just load 50 dvi movies and run them at the same time. lol
clock speed was set at 23 and i had the other set at 220 i think i just was doing it balls deep style

i think this will work never used this file upload before
I had to back the Dram back down to 882 with a fsb:dram of 1:4
i am finding the hard part is with windows8 crash from memory i don't know yet why but thinking its the voltage.
where is the starting point for most people the ram or just clock the **** out of the cpu? i mean i can clock it 23 x 223 and have a good temp but i want to keep the ram at a good rate. 5gz is not hard with this cpu just runing 24/7 will be the key.

Attachments

• cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    37.8 KB · Views: 635
  • ram.PNG
    ram.PNG
    28.4 KB · Views: 599
  • tep.PNG
    tep.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
I'm not sure which one of those temps would be the equivalent of package temp. Do core or package temps show up in the part below Fans PWM? And it looks like that pic was taken with the system idling so it's not very helpful. Could you have HWMonitor open while you run a 20 minute Prime95 blend stress test so we could see what temps under full load are like?

Also, when you post pics of CPU-z, please include the SPD tab. That one shows us what the RAM manufacturer's recommendations are for timings and voltages for your RAM at various frequencies. As it is all we have is the Memory tab which only shows what you have it set to in bios. It would be nice to be able to compare that with what is recommended by the mfg. Looks like you have your ram overclocked from 1866 yo 2000 mhz.

ok this seam to run better with this ram seting

Attachments

• tep 2.PNG
    tep 2.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 534
  • ram1.PNG
    ram1.PNG
    30.5 KB · Views: 609
  • newbaseram.PNG
    newbaseram.PNG
    28.8 KB · Views: 548
ok here is my 5Gz as you can see i tested with 7 zip to get it a max temp of 87 way to high so ether get more cooling or run slower with less :bang head

Attachments

• speed5.PNG
    speed5.PNG
    44.2 KB · Views: 558
How long did you run 7 zip to get that max package temp of 87?

You seem reluctant to run the Prime95 blend test for stressing? As I explained, it's one of our standard tools around here and it's difficult to help folks when people aren't using the same tools.

i will use Prime95 soon i just have not download it yet. tring to figure out a good setting first. and its only 9 pm here using it to watch movies right now with kids
And i don't know how to use prim95

Last edited:
Just double click on the Prime95 program icon. Choose "just stress testing" and accept the default "blend" test which should already be checked. Then just let it grind away. You will see one "core worker" window for each of the eight cores of your processor. If any of the following happen, you fail the stress test: blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or one or more of the core workers stops.

Make sure you have HWMonitor open already on the desktop to monitor CPU (socket) and package temps. If the package temp exceeds 65c or the CPU temp exceeds 75c, stop the test as you would be getting into unsafe temp ranges, though you may find temp-related instability before that.

wow i have done a test and ya i need to work on the setting allot i put everything on auto backed to clocks down 19 x 198.7 did step up ram to 927 3:14 still went to 76 degrees
Thanks for the help the only instability i find is with the ram when clocking over 4.5 Gz on cpu it seams to be stable around 1.8v with even tho temps over 80. I tried 7-8-7-27 i just need to know what to start at. would be nice if i know what each seting on this mobo did ... why have a cpu that can run at 5gz if you can only run max st 3.9 for temps just pissing me off now that it won't hold

Last edited:
A 20 minute Prime95 blend test will pretty much max your temps out to give you a good idea what is the highest they will get under full load. A minimum of two hours passed will give you some good assurance that you are truly stable.

Are you back on stock CPU volts?

Have you disabled Cool N Quiet, C1E, C6, Turbo Core Boost and APM? We generally advise disabling the "green" stuff when overlocking as it messes frequencies and voltages.

I have significant doubts that your H50 water cooler is up to the challenge.

Yes i have disabled all auto over clocking items in bios, did set votage back to stock auto setting. and run the test for a good 20 watched a movie, no crashing. so now put cpu votage at 1.48 and reset @ x22 200.7 dram is still stable 3:14 936.5 mhz core temp keeps going around 38-46 with a load at 66 deg max with a 50%load. the cooler is not going to work for sure. going to run to ax-man get a pump and line. lol use a fish tank pump or may be a beer cooler. Dam here goes more cash again. next month puting a ssd on to it. I only have $600 so far spent. but i will need a better cooler if going to run at full load.

baahoot, if you really want that processor to run 5.0 you are going to need really good cooling. You are also going to have a really tough time getting it stable if you don't take your time and methodically tune it. If you try change too many things at once you are going to have a very difficult time getting it stable and also figuring out what is causing the instability. You need to have patience and take your time. Using the tools that were suggested above will help you find stability. Setting the chip at 5 ghz and running 7zip is by no means considered stable. Unfortunately, these FX processors run hot, so like you said either run slower or get some big cooling.

Furthermore, you mentioned a beer cooler and fishtank pump. Anything is possible, read this thread just read through the stickies in the watercooling section and look at the fundamentals.

Here is a suggested methodology for overclocking which is fundamentally sound and systematic:

1. Return all frequency and voltage settings to stock and disable all the green stuff as I explained earlier (Cool N Quiet, Turbo Core Boost, C1E, C6 and APM).
2. Lower ram frequency from 1866 to 1600
3. Open HWMonitor on desktop and have it open during every stress test
4. Start increasing the FSB (HT Reference) in 5 mhz increments
5. After each 5 mhz increment increase run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to check for stability and temps.
6. When you first begin to encounter instability, add .025 volts to the vcore
7. Continue increasing the FSB until your ram frequency reaches approximately 1866 mhz which is it's rated frequency. At this point, switch over to the multiplier for further overclocking of the CPU. Add a little more vcore as necessary to maintain stability.
8. Make manual adjustments as necessary to the HT Link frequency and the CPU/NB to keep them from exceeding 2400 mhz, which is stock I think. With a little more voltage to the CPU/NB you might get it to 2600 stable but not sure it's worth the hassle. These parameters don't seem to overclock as well as they did on the Thubans and Denebs.
9. When package temps begin to exceed about 60c and CPU temps begin to exceed about 70c, don't add anymore vcore. You have hit the wall.
10. Switch over to a longer Prime95 blend run to confirm stability, at least two hours. If this long test proves the system not quite stable, lower the CPU multiplier by .5x and retest.

This approach will require patience but it's safe and effective.

Please create a “Sig” so that your system information travels with every post you make. Component information listed in the body of a post early in a thread tends to get buried and lost as a thread gets longer. The “Sig” is a common courtesy to those entering the thread to help you. To create a “Sig”, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Create Signature. We like to see information about these components: CPU, CPU cooler make and model, RAM make and speed and amount, motherboard make and model, PSU make and wattage, video card make and model and last but not least, case make and model and information about the case fans (number of intake fans and exhaust fans and their sized, like 120 mm, 140 mm, 200 mm, etc.).

baahoot, follow these guys and they will have you maxed out in a safe manner in no time.

Back