• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New WC build, looking for help to test its OC ability.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CD I think I see what your taking about in your early post (dropping #6). In the last test I dropped #4 and #6 right? Its strange I didn't see it report the error?

no, you dropped core#6, so go into bios and raise the cpu vcore 1 click and retest.

I bumped it one more click.

Before

CPU_Manual_Voltage-1.468750.jpg

After

CPU_Manual_Voltage-1.475000.jpg

I re-tested with the lastest CPU volts shown above, it was going strong for about 15 minutes but #6 core fail again (It showed it in Prime95 when it dropped out). :bang head Should I increase CPU voltage again or ????

Last edited:
Raise the Cpu/Nb voltage to 1.25 V and give the Cpu V a bump. Sometimes adding Cpu Nb voltage will help even if you're not pushing the Nb frequency yet.

After studying this thread and also the p-states of the particular processor, your running Cpu socket temp too high with not enough voltage. Boosted P-state requirement of 4200mhz is 1.4250v. After viewing failed Core number 6 at 57c, it's not possible to acquire a higher clock frequency without lower temps and or more volts.

THIS THREAD is a great read with no doubts. However, knowing the processor was under some type of chilling and not ambient cooled does not help in your situation.

Again, processor family FX-xxxx is not voltage restricted, it's cooling restricted.

OP may like to do as suggested and seek new ways to cool the processor. Remove GPU and MB water blocks and run Cpu loop stand alone with decent amount of radiator surface area may help quite a bit. If you take notice to the thread I linked for you above, you will see considerably lower temps in comparison to yours. Inherently, lower temps helps for lower volts used.

Good Luck - your chasing the magic space heater with a lit candle which produces you a very dim amount of light here......

After studying this thread and also the p-states of the particular processor, your running Cpu socket temp too high with not enough voltage. Boosted P-state requirement of 4200mhz is 1.4250v. After viewing failed Core number 6 at 57c, it's not possible to acquire a higher clock frequency without lower temps and or more volts.

THIS THREAD is a great read with no doubts. However, knowing the processor was under some type of chilling and not ambient cooled does not help in your situation.

Again, processor family FX-xxxx is not voltage restricted, it's cooling restricted.

OP may like to do as suggested and seek new ways to cool the processor. Remove GPU and MB water blocks and run Cpu loop stand alone with decent amount of radiator surface area may help quite a bit. If you take notice to the thread I linked for you above, you will see considerably lower temps in comparison to yours. Inherently, lower temps helps for lower volts used.

Good Luck - your chasing the magic space heater with a lit candle which produces you a very dim amount of light here......

SH, I believe everyone here agrees with you including me. The point to this exercise is to find that point where it can't be pushed and at what temps. Thank you for your input and stay tuned there will be more.

Raise the Cpu/Nb voltage to 1.25 V and give the Cpu V a bump. Sometimes adding Cpu Nb voltage will help even if you're not pushing the Nb frequency yet.

OK, I'll give it a try and see if she'll pass! If not, I think I will call 4.5 stable for this loop configuration and move on the next configuation.

You're already there. And this type of exercise is what brought guys like you and I into better cooling, chilling and de-lidding processors. Round and round we go in search for better temps.

I think 4.5ghz is not out of the reach of what you could call normal overclocking. Think of it this way.... your 200mhz shy of a stock FX-9590! :D

You're already there. And this type of exercise is what brought guys like you and I into better cooling, chilling and de-lidding processors. Round and round we go in search for better temps.

I think 4.5ghz is not out of the reach of what you could call normal overclocking. Think of it this way.... your 200mhz shy of a stock FX-9590!

I ran stable for a little over 4 hours with Prime95 (w/blend) at 4.5 already. That FX-9590 is on my buy list for next year.

Well I tries a few more times to get it stable and with ~1:30-1:40 left to go on a 20 minute run I would still get an error. It "seems" that temps of 55c with this configuration might just be the limit. I can't say I'm disappointed, I think I have proven that with 3x120 rads. and a small pump/res. a person could game all day long at a stock clock (4.0) and even maybe a little higher without any worries.

Test9BIOS.jpg

Ambient Temps.: Idle 26.0, Load 27.8

Idle

Test8idle.JPG

Load
Test8Load.JPG

Fail
Test8P95Fail.JPG

Last edited:
Did I miss your post of passing 4 hours of Prime Blend at 4.5 Ghz? I thought it was at stock clocks when you passed 4 hours?

I ran stable for a little over 4 hours with Prime95 (w/blend) at 4.5 already.

Got pic?

Well I tries a few more times to get it stable and with ~1:30-1:40 left to go on a 20 minute run I would still get an error. It "seems" that temps of 55c with this configuration might just be the limit. I can't say I'm disappointed, I think I have proven that with 3x120 rads. and a small pump/res. a person could game all day long at a stock clock (4.0) and even maybe a little higher without any worries.

You proved nothing. All you did was re-affirm everything that everybody else has been telling you the whole time.

Yes your right I may have miss-spoke, that was a 2hr run not 4hr at 4.5. I'm sorry you may have misunderstood my intentions, these are personal goals. I'm not looking to prove anything to anyone but myself.

I just looked for the screen shots and didn't find them, I saved that run under its own profile so its not a problem to document it. I will re-run the 2hr test at 4.5 and document it here.

CMOS-Profiles.jpg

Last edited:
Eddie, you're doing a great job with the stress testing. On the right track. Just don't over extend the testing so mush that you can't enjoy the darn PC. I base my clocks with simplicity. If 4.5ghz is my max stable, I'll lower the clock to 4.4ghz and enjoy without worries.

You could also focus on single peripheral overclocking such as HT seperate from NB and Memory and so on to max out individual hardware. The Cpu matters most for raw power, but you'd be surprised what some memory tweaking may accomplish also.

Just keep having fun with it. Hit your goals and enjoy.

I also did recall you mention buying FX-9590 next year? I'll give you a very fair warning. A) that 9590 is very difficult to cool. You'll look into 300$ give or take just for a cpu loop with a lot of radiator and reservoir. B) is very picky on how you overclock it because of the very little headroom with the cooling situation. C) Your choice in motherboard would be no less than Asus Sabortooth 990FX rev 2.0 or my suggestion to be using the Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z which has better voltage controls and bios essentially written for the FX-9590 and LN2 plus high frequency clocks regarding the memory configuration. Will easily run 1067 - 1200mhz (effective) daily.

Eddie, you're doing a great job with the stress testing. On the right track. Just don't over extend the testing so mush that you can't enjoy the darn PC. I base my clocks with simplicity. If 4.5ghz is my max stable, I'll lower the clock to 4.4ghz and enjoy without worries.

Thank you! I run mine at 4.0ghz when I'm just putzin around having fun. When I get the system where I want it I might give it a little bump.

You could also focus on single peripheral overclocking such as HT seperate from NB and Memory and so on to max out individual hardware. The Cpu matters most for raw power, but you'd be surprised what some memory tweaking may accomplish also.

We think a lot a like, if you haven't notice I'm a bit methodical in my process.

Just keep having fun with it. Hit your goals and enjoy.

This is fun for me, if I'm not learning something new I'm board.

I also did recall you mention buying FX-9590 next year? I'll give you a very fair warning. A) that 9590 is very difficult to cool. You'll look into 300$ give or take just for a cpu loop with a lot of radiator and reservoir. B) is very picky on how you overclock it because of the very little headroom with the cooling situation. C) Your choice in motherboard would be no less than Asus Sabortooth 990FX rev 2.0 or my suggestion to be using the Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z which has better voltage controls and bios essentially written for the FX-9590 and LN2 plus high frequency clocks regarding the memory configuration. Will easily run 1067 - 1200mhz (effective) daily.

I was planning on starting a new thread for this but since you brought it up I'll just ask. The board I'm using now is a Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z with the latest BIOS. Will this board support that chip, I saw that the FX-9590 was a 220watt chip?

Top notch board. Fully supports the FX-9590. Is what I am using actually. There are some things to know about the board it'self though. It's not an average board by any means. It's solely meant for heavy overclocking with chilling and the bios is written for just such a thing. While paired with FX-9590, it's quirky.. There are certain things the FX-9590 does not like in particular under volting. It will not respond well to it resulting in hangs and freeze ups which seems to be a most common thing.

There is a thread I made in regards to the freeze hang issues. The processor has the ability to demand from motherboard 1.5250v at low as 4ghz clock frequency. While manually over-volting this ability is turned off. The clincher is the 1.5250v is very difficult to cool. In fact it results in the need for chilling 99% of the time. While running 8 cores under the Pstate request voltage of 1.5250 freezes happen but depends on a few different things.

In the end the FX-9590 is just hungry. You most likely won't be overclocking it with your current cooling solution judging by the overclocks you've accomplished with your FX-8350 only reaching 4.5ghz. A good way to test your cooling is by running 4.7ghz and 1.4880v and see how hot the 8350 gets. Once you get an idea with the 8350, add 10c and your running a 9590 at stock basically.

I've had nothing but the most difficult experiences overclocking the FX-9590. It simply cannot be done on ambient air cooling in most cases. L3 cache runs hot. CPU/NB additional voltage creates even more heat not to mention just plain CPU voltage increases.

However, you'll have an enjoyable experience just leaving it plain stock and do not stress test. You just may be able to cool it. But as soon as you go to manual mode, you'll find your troubles rather quickly.

I see load temps over 50c.
Still ok, but not the 29c you claim.

Well, I only report what the meter reads. I take the reading from the same place around the same time of the test every time. If there is something you think I'm not doing right please feel free to say something.

Last edited:
I did.
Your screen shot shows package temp of 51c and some of your other screen shots are higher than that, so I don't know where you're getting your temp readings from, but they're wrong. Even your stated idle temps are lower than your screen shots show.

SB, that's great info, thanks for sharing. What is your configuration, it must be massive?

That's what SHE said!!! haha sorry had too....

FX-9590 (de-lidded) liquid cooled custom 120.6 x12 rad fans
Asus Crosshair V Formula-z (implemented with 120 VRM fan - covers half the waterblock and I/O panel config)
Nvidia reference GTX 760 Air cooled mild OC
Case Silverstone TJ07 aluminum black
PSU Antec 1000w Continuous Power Series
Patriot Pyro SSDs Intel SSDs
Corsair Dominator DDR3 2133mhz 11-11-11 1T

Testing 5200mhz Max core temp 59c Socket temp 45c (give or take a couple). At stock Max core temp reaches about 42c. Ambient Temp 69f today.

I did.
Your screen shot shows package temp of 51c and some of your other screen shots are higher than that, so I don't know where you're getting your temp readings from, but they're wrong. Even your stated idle temps are lower than your screen shots show.

Which readings are you referring to? The ones he mentioned a couple of messages back were ambient temperatures.

"Amb. Temps Idle 27.6 and Load 28.8"

Which readings are you referring to? The ones he mentioned a couple of messages back were ambient temperatures.

"Amb. Temps Idle 27.6 and Load 28.8"
Ambient temp is the temp in the room. There would be no difference idle or load.
You all need to get on the same page as to what temps are what.

Back