• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New WC build, looking for help to test its OC ability.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
he also has a motherboard block that is hindering his cpu cooling.
he needs more rad at this point or ditch the motheboard block.
and on ambient water, more rad, means more cooling, means more volts, means more clocks.
with my 8350 in this case with a 2x120=5.0.
2x120 in push/pull making it 4x120=5.2, took a major vcore jump.
with the 9x120 in push/pull, making it an 18x120, =5.6.

And yet fails to include the other variables. Such as actual voltage used, bus clocking or multi only.... LLC, Cpu/Nb volage, Cpu current capability, ambient temps and so on. (chilling at 5.6ghz?)

you can say more rads and more volts, but we can only take a guess at this point as to what exactly you are talking about. For all Shrimpy knows with current FX-9590, liquid temps at about 50f would yield usability multiplier only, LLC ultra high, Cpu/NB at 1.4v CPU at 1.6750v would make for 5600mhz.... and not a single radiator used....

1.Disable all the power saving features, Cool and Quiet, C1E, SVM, Core 6 state and Apm master mode.
2.Enable HPC.
3.Set the Cpu LLC to High as well as Cpu Nb LLc.
4.Set the Cpu Voltage manually to 1.45 V (you have plenty of headroom so this should pose a problem.)
5.Then raise the multiplier .5 and run prime 20 minutes, with Hwmonitor open.

Watch temps, 70c on the Cpu and 62 on the package max. If you pass raise the multi and run 20 min again, if you fail raise the Cpu V .00625 rinse and repeat. We are just looking for tentative stability for now. When you get to around 4.5-4.6 I suggest you try to pass 2 hours of blend again. This way if you want to push further you have a "fall back" stable Oc to go back to if you lose your way.

When you say "Set the Cpu Voltage manually to 1.45 V" do you mean CPU Offset Voltage or CPU VDDA Voltage? Or is there something I am missing?

CPU Offset Votage.jpg
CPU VDDA Voltage.jpg

No , up a bit higher you should be able to switch it to manual mode and input a static voltage of 1.45v, right under extreme OV

No , up a bit higher you should be able to switch it to manual mode and input a static voltage of 1.45v, right under extreme OV
Agreed for now I would stick with setting the voltage manually. I was speaking specifically about the Cpu Voltage, not the Vdda.

Thank you for be so patient as I am just now learning how to do this. I was unaware that putting CPU & NB Voltage into manual mode would change the menu to show CPU Manual Voltage.

CPU Manual Voltage.jpg

Keep your finger crossed :thup: I'm going in for my first true OC test! :salute:

Ok, here are my findings for the first Test. I ran the test for 28 minutes (going for 30min.), at the 28 min. mark I got an error (shown below).

Ambient Temps were: Idle 27.4, Load 29.4

Here is the idle screen shot.

Idle-1st-test.JPG

Here is the load screen shot.

Load-1st-test.JPG

Here is the error.

First Test-Error.JPG

I know we spoke of this earlier but you said on your previous thread you ran 2 hours prime blend am i correct? If so have you changed anything other then the Cpu Oc from then to now? Reason I ask is because running the amount of memory you are is taxing on the Imc and you may need more Cpu Nb voltage to stabilize it. When you post Hwmonitor show the voltages as well a long with Cpu-Z, tabs Cpu, Spd and Memory. This gives us a better idea of what is what with the setup. Are you running prime and Heaven at the same time?

Other than what you suggested, I have tweaked the DRAM setting to reflect the advertised numbers on my RAM and the voltage for the DRAM (+.05).

Idle-1st-test-Volts.JPG

CPU_NB-Voltage.jpg

Do you think bumping the CPU/Nb to 1.22-1.25 might help?

Last edited:
Other than what you suggested, I have tweaked the DRAM setting to reflect the advertised numbers on my RAM and the voltage for the DRAM (+.05).

Do you think bumping the CPU/Nb to 1.22-1.25 might help?
So from the thread you have with setting the Dram, you were at 1866 with 11-11-11 timings and now you're at 1866 with 9-9-9 timings? If so you may want to go back to 4.0 and see if you can pass prime blend. I have a feeling running 32 Gb of ram at 1866 with tighter timings may be throwing the Imc for a loop. No reason to start throwing voltage at it until we can figure out if it is indeed the memory that is causing the instability. You could also try running at least 3 passes of memtest 86 to see if it's the ram.

As far as the Cpu Nb voltage I really don't know what it will take voltage wise to get it stable if that is the cause. It could take 1.25 anywhere to 1.38 v.

We know the temps are good, you don't need to keep running both. When you find an Oc that you're happy with I would then run both and see if the temps are still where you want them.

Well I unintentionally ran it unmanned for 4 hrs. (stock config.) and am happy to report that it passed! :clap:

Amb. Temps. were Idle 25.6, 27.3 load.

@ IDLE
Base-Line_Idle01I.JPG

Voltage @ LOAD
Base-Line_Load01Lb.JPG

@ LOAD (after 4 hrs.)
Base-Line_Idle01L.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent, since it passes try going back to what you were doing, so at 4.5 it looks like you need some more Cpu V to establish tentative stability. So add some Cpu V until you can pass at least 20 minutes of Prime Blend at 4.5 and they try for 4.6 Ghz. At that point I would try and establish stability for at least 2 hours. Reason why is because it makes it much easier to push further when you have a known stable Oc you can fall back on if you start getting a bit lost. Additionally, make sure you are taking good notes on everything you change, I know you were doing a spread sheet so that will work.

WOW that's a lot of memory for a poor little FX to handle.

Just a thought for the OP... Eddie.

I would consider removing two out of the four (8GB) sticks from your G.Skill kit for initial testing of the overclock potential/capabilities of your sample FX-8350.

I would then test with 2x8GB to see how much overclock margin there is with your chip and decide on how fast you wish to run for a daily 24/7 type overclock.

Then later I would add back in the other two sticks to see if your setup could still maintain the same clocks or if you might need to modify some settings or even lower your overclock to run 4x8GB... all DIMMS populated.

I'm pretty sure you could push your clocks a little further this way... However it is possible that the OP might consider it important and critical to his computing needs to be able to run with the full 32GB kit and might decide against testing with just two DIMMS populated. :shrug:

See link below for "The Stilts" post about "single rank" (SR) and "double rank" (DR) memory sticks and how they impact/stress the CPU's integrated memory controller.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1318995/official-fx-8320-fx-8350-vishera-owners-club/54080#post_24519991

Yes that is a very good point Pol and I'm open to that idea, however I know I'm already going to be limited somewhat by the current cooling configuration. I'm thinking 4.7-8 might be the best I will be able to do at this point and I'm ok with that for a good baseline benchmark. And with that said, I would truly like to get to that point with the configuration I will be running the machine with. Now if it does present a problem with getting to my max heat load with all 32gb of RAM I will pull two.

I'll let you know here shortly!

no, you dropped core#6, so go into bios and raise the cpu vcore 1 click and retest.

Back