• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 F@h unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We'll know for sure on the 17th if it all of a sudden quits working. bth_IrishDancersSmiley.gif

Yes, I would say you have "really good cooling". I don't think most bother to look up what is in the posters signature like yours, "Drake".

EK Supreme HF/ Thermochill PA 120.3
Jingway dp 1200/ EK Multioption Res 2 advanced.

That is not a weak H-100 water cooling setup for sure.
RGone...
I agree. My PA 160 is on par with a PA 120.2. I was told this by Cathar himself via email. Of course I don't categorize this as really good cooling but it should be sufficient for something.

mostly I like overkill as I have burned up many chips in the past trying to fold 24/7 at high clocks....several durons back in the day...
most of the choice in size of rad/cooling capabilities has to do with the self comfort zone...
some peeps don't mind a noisy pc some hate them...
I used to not care bout the noise till I heard silent....
been said many many times ,better too much than not enough....

I did get another error.

I think I will back down to something like this for the weekend and see how it goes.

BIOS settings:
Current CPU Speed: 4200mhz
CPU Ratio: 21
CPU Bus: 200
Mem Freq.: DDR3-1866mhz
CPU/NB Freq.: 2200mhz
HT Link Speed: 2200mhz
DRAM Timings: 8-10-9-27-1T
CPU Voltage: 1.35v
CPU/NB Voltage: 1.1875v

Last edited:
4200mhz @ CPU Voltage: 1.35v <<< That Vcore would not be Prime95 Blend stable. I doubt it works for Folding either.

4200mhz @ CPU Voltage: 1.35v <<< That Vcore would not be Prime95 Blend stable. I doubt it works for Folding either.
What voltage do you recommend? I was thinking that since that is the turbocore speed and the stock VID that it might be sufficient.

I would take a guess that you will need 1.4V on an 8 core for F@H for anything past 4Ghz TBH.

Capture.PNG on my rig (not the 1 in sig)
1.35 with regular with llc for cpu and cpu/nb set to high I get 4.2 totally stable..
but chips differ from chip to chip...
these settings have been running for quite awhile (days)
edit this is folding now I opened up everything just now so no idle volts or temps...

boucher91 if you get Prime 95 Blend mode stable at 1.32 Vcore at 4.2Ghz, then you are one lucky son of a gun and you should thank your lucky roll of the dice when you got that cpu. No one else we have seen in here can get an FX-8350 Prime95 Blend stable for a minimum of 2hours at that low Vcore. In fact most of the FX-8350s we have seen have a default CPU VID of at least 1.375V and I have seen some showing a CPU_VID of 1.3875.
RGone...

that is prime stable...
4.3 (xtra .5multi) is prim stable at those settings but not folding stable...
heck I thought I was on par with most...
my vid is 1.35 I guess that is good?

Probably one out of a couple of 100, FX-8350s will do what you say yours does on 1.32Vcore with only water-cooling. I would say good. Most of those types of cpus are called non-leakers and go up to a certain point and then quit and do not work well on DICE and LN2.

Last edited:
so does that mean they don't like higher clocks? or just more volts
peaked my interest hate to rob the op,s thread..

OK then, thanks for the lead.

I would take a guess that you will need 1.4V on an 8 core for F@H for anything past 4Ghz TBH.

I will take this as advice for a starting point.
Thanks very much for everyone's input.
I will try the following and see where it takes me:

BIOS settings:
Current CPU Speed: 4200mhz
CPU Ratio: 21
CPU Bus: 200
Mem Freq.: DDR3-1866mhz
CPU/NB Freq.: 2200mhz
HT Link Speed: 2200mhz
DRAM Timings: 8-10-9-27-1T
CPU Voltage: 1.40v
CPU/NB Voltage: 1.1875v

I guess I will try going up and up until I can't get it stable anymore, provided these settings prove stable.

so does that mean they don't like higher clocks? or just more volts
peaked my interest hate to rob the op,s thread..

Don't worry about it, it's all in the same interest.
I think my VID is 1.35v, how can I be certain?

Did a little g00gling and it seems the leakage idea began at least 8 years ago. The article here is said to explain what the leakage is. http://www.anandtech.com/print/1611
I am thru messing up the OPs thread.
RGone...

Don't worry about it. Chime in as often as you feel the need. The problem is that it takes 24 hours and more to test F@h stability so I have much much time. That's about the rate of fail that I've been experiencing at 4.5ghz so far. I had my 1100T @ 1.45625v stable for one week before is asked for a vcore bump during F@h, may have been a more demanding wu who knows? After that it ran smooth 24/7 w/o hiccups. Hopefully I will start to see a little success soon.

As always, all of the input is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
csimon

Last edited:
I had my 1100T @ 1.45625v stable = I hate guesstimating but my guess is that in the long run the FX processors put out at least twice the heat of that 1100T at the same speed and that is what comes around an bites in the long run. And once the cpu speed of an FX processor exceeds about 4.0Ghz the current demand thru the VRMs has to be going up rapidly or the things would not just 'cream' so many cheap motherboards with weak VRM circuits.

As a matter of fact the push to run 4.2Ghz might better be put off until you actually know that you can obtain F@H stability at even 4.0Ghz. I have jumped to the faster speed a few times and sent myself around in circles because I did not incrementally clock up. I would have found the problem far faster by moving up in mini-steps instead of going for that number I had burned into my head. But heck that is me.
RGone...

I had my 1100T @ 1.45625v stable = I hate guesstimating but my guess is that in the long run the FX processors put out at least twice the heat of that 1100T at the same speed and that is what comes around an bites in the long run. And once the cpu speed of an FX processor exceeds about 4.0Ghz the current demand thru the VRMs has to be going up rapidly or the things would not just 'cream' so many cheap motherboards with weak VRM circuits.

As a matter of fact the push to run 4.2Ghz might better be put off until you actually know that you can obtain F@H stability at even 4.0Ghz. I have jumped to the faster speed a few times and sent myself around in circles because I did not incrementally clock up. I would have found the problem far faster by moving up in mini-steps instead of going for that number I had burned into my head. But heck that is me.
RGone...

Well I believe the 1100T @ 4ghz/1.4625v ran F@h about 10c cooler than the FX @ 4.2ghz/1.4v. I have a 120mm fan directed onto the VRM's trying to keep it cool, one issue may be with the inverted footprint of this case since it reverses the heatpipe configuration.

I did try 4.ghz @ 1.35v earlier in the week for a 24 hour successful run but neglected to log it. That's the only reason I am attempting 4.2 @ 1.4v now. Which, ran successfully 12 hours through the night btw. I've got my fingers crossed on this one.

I've been folding on my 8350 @ 4.3ghz for over 48 hours straight now, with one 30 minute break when I quick ran a few benches at 5.0ghz, then set the profile back and started folding again. Gonna go look at the exact voltages and take a screencap and will post it. Voltages are much lower than you'd expect. Heat is a little up there, but it's partly because it's sitting next to two other computers that are also folding 24/7 and pretty much heating the back room of the house themselves during the cold weather this week. :p

fah_zpsd009aa36.png

Actual vcore setting in BIOS is 1.38xx with LLC set to "high" for both CPU and CPU-NB with 100% power limit. Does the trick for me, maybe can help as a reference point for you.

fah_zpsd009aa36.png

Actual vcore setting in BIOS is 1.38xx with LLC set to "high" for both CPU and CPU-NB with 100% power limit. Does the trick for me, maybe can help as a reference point for you.

Thanks MJ, I feel better about moving to 4.3 from current settings if they prove stable. So far 12+ hours stable.

Back