• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blacklist

Just built my first PC and was looking to overclock my CPU; an FX-8350. I probly sound like a dumbass asking this, but how exacty do you overclock? Is the software to do it already included? Does it raise temps a ton when you do it?

Blacklist, a list of your system specs will go a long way to help us help you. Here is how to put them in your signature. Be as specific as possible, including the case and what cpu heatsink you are using. Here is a guide to read, to help you understand, what you need to start overclocking.

The Sig is still missing: At the top of the page click on Quick Links and then Edit Signature. You cannot do it from a mobile device, I believe.

no dambus questions here.
software to overclock, thats the bios. please learn it.

does an 8350 make heat when over clocked? bunches and bunches.

and these guys will be lots of help.

Ok, so I did a little studying and found out about MSI Afterburner and Furmark for GPU clocking, but you guys know any programs for CPU or RAM overclocking?

Well there is AMD overdrive. But as all other are saying to you already. WE DO NOT USE SOFTWARE TO OVERCLOCK OUR CPU's. Sorry for the ALL CAPS, but as 4 people before me already tried to say this and it doesn't seem come in.

We commonly use the BIOS/Uefi to overclock our CPU, for even being able to help you in any way we need:
1. A complete system list in your sig.
2. CPU-z screenshots of the CPU-Memory-SPD tab.
3. CPU-z screenshots while running Prime95 for about 20 minutes.(need only CPU tab then so we can see the voltage CPU-z reports and compare it to HWmonitor free's reading.)
4. HWmonitor Free screenshots While running Prime95 for 20 minutes(full load) and while not running prime(idle)

Present us with these details with stock clocks and we might be able to help you out.
Not trying to be a **** here, just being very direct.

Blamauci OUT

Well there is AMD overdrive. But as all other are saying to you already. WE DO NOT USE SOFTWARE TO OVERCLOCK OUR CPU's. Sorry for the ALL CAPS, but as 4 people before me already tried to say this and it doesn't seem come in.

We commonly use the BIOS/Uefi to overclock our CPU, for even being able to help you in any way we need:
1. A complete system list in your sig.
2. CPU-z screenshots of the CPU-Memory-SPD tab.
3. CPU-z screenshots while running Prime95 for about 20 minutes.(need only CPU tab then so we can see the voltage CPU-z reports and compare it to HWmonitor free's reading.)
4. HWmonitor Free screenshots While running Prime95 for 20 minutes(full load) and while not running prime(idle)

Present us with these details with stock clocks and we might be able to help you out.
Not trying to be a **** here, just being very direct.

Blamauci OUT
^^^^^ This and

Blacklist, a list of your system specs will go a long way to help us help you. Here is how to put them in your signature. Be as specific as possible, including the case and what cpu heatsink you are using. Here is a guide to read, to help you understand, what you need to start overclocking.

We can't help you unless we know what is in your rig, if you want to do it correctly read the tutorial I linked and learn the inns and outs of your BIOS. We strongly recommend not using Overclock Software it will hinder your overclock more then it will help!

Ok Thank You Blacklist, now 2 things, did you have a read of this thread and if you have the factory heatsink on the Cpu your overclock isn't going very far. These Fx chips get really hot, even at stock temps.

Right-o. I've looked into air coolers in the past just for the looks factor, so I know what's out there. I've been told that my motherboard actually has a "built in" overclocking program for GPU, CPU. and RAM. So, that's pretty cool, if it's true. But it is an ROG board so I'm sure Asus intended it to be used for overclocking. You think 180F is a pretty good temp to try and stay under?

Please read that thread I posted. Do not use the Asus software to overclock, nor any other overclocking software. Yes that board is build for clocking so you have a good platform for it, you just need to get a "Quality" Heatsink. We don't speak in Fahrenheit generally, most programs as well as the motherboards use Celsius. If you are getting to 180f which is 82c on the Cpu or the Cores that is too hot. We generally stay below 70c on the Cpu Socket temp and 60 on the package temp. You should download hwmonitor to see what your temps are at.

I know, most peeps use Celsius, but I hate Canadians:p(Jjust kidding). I have a fan controller that has temperature modules right on the processor, so that's covered. I read somewhere that 90C should be the limit on CPU temp, so i figured I'd shoot for a few degrees below that. I did read that thread previous to your suggestion during my quest for knowledge on clocking, and I didn't seem to pick much up from it, just did't get it.

I also understand what you are saying about not using a third party OC program, but how can I do it if I don't have the program for it? Is there already one installed when the CPU is installed? Basically, what do I need to type into my start menu search bar if I don't download an overclocking program?

blacklist, lets start at start please, your trying to start in the midle.
please net search cpuid.
on the cpuid site under software you will find downloads for hardware monitor and cpu-z.
these are the most basic of tools you need to help us help you.

the 90c temp you read is for intel.
once you have the two programs we can began.
open them and take a screenshot and post it here and we will help you learn to read them.

that's start.

I also understand what you are saying about not using a third party OC program, but how can I do it if I don't have the program for it? Is there already one installed when the CPU is installed? Basically, what do I need to type into my start menu search bar if I don't download an overclocking program?

Windows does not come with an OC program installed. You can use the motherboard manufacturers program from the disk or go to the site and DL the latest version.... Or go to AMD's site and DL AMD OverDrive.

OverDrive is compatible with all AMD boards.

You sound so really new to this that you really need to read the provided link and familiarize yourself with overclocking in the bios. If you do this, you won't need any software at all installed on your PC for overclocking.

You don't use a windows based program to overclock, yes as Shrimp said you can use the programs that were suggested in that post but we do not recommend it. If you want to learn to overclock the correct way then read the thread I posted for you and then re read it. The correct way to overclock is through your BIOS. We are going to try and "teach" you how to do it correctly if you want to learn how to. Give a man a fish.....teach him to fish!

Back