• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How do I access my BIOS if that's even possible? I'm all down for learning, but you think I should try it on a junk computer before I blow up my rig? Or should I be safe?

Windows does not come with an OC program installed. You can use the motherboard manufacturers program from the disk or go to the site and DL the latest version.... Or go to AMD's site and DL AMD OverDrive.

OverDrive is compatible with all AMD boards.

You sound so really new to this that you really need to read the provided link and familiarize yourself with overclocking in the bios. If you do this, you won't need any software at all installed on your PC for overclocking.

I understand that its not a windows thing, what I was goin for is what the program is called so i could search for it

I also understand what you are saying about not using a third party OC program, but how can I do it if I don't have the program for it? Is there already one installed when the CPU is installed? Basically, what do I need to type into my start menu search bar if I don't download an overclocking program?
This will add some heat so just keep an eye on temps after you put the rig back together again.

1)Put your cpu and motherboard in the dryer, heat sink is optional

2)Clean the lint filter to prevent scorching the VRMS

3)Turn heat on high

4)PRESS AND HOLD the START button for a few seconds, so the dryer cycle activates

5)Set time to 50 minutes

6)Re-assemble PC and enjoy

This will add some heat so just keep an eye on temps after you put the rig back together again.

1)Put your cpu and motherboard in the dryer, heat sink is optional

2)Clean the lint filter to prevent scorching the VRMS

3)Turn heat on high

4)PRESS AND HOLD the START button for a few seconds, so the dryer cycle activates

5)Set time to 50 minutes

6)Re-assemble PC and enjoy
Huh?

Really lame to one who is asking about how to get into the bios. If he were to think you said the truth...it would have less than zero humor in it.
RGone...

And there's the punch line!!

omg I got tears man!!

Really lame to one who is asking about how to get into the bios. If he were to think you said the truth...it would have less than zero humor in it.
RGone...

Haha, what if I actually did though. That would just be horrible. Thanks for sticking up for me though.

Anyway, how do I get into the BIOS? Like, I'm all down for learning about what all the terms mean and what goes into an OC, but could I learn it and just use Asus' or MSI's software? I've already done some research and such so please don't think I'm using any of you as a crutch to carry me along, I'd just like some help here and there, and maybe some opinions.

Haha, what if I actually did though. That would just be horrible. Thanks for sticking up for me though.

Not a problem "Blacklist". I find some of the things we experience as very odd but when trying to help someone whom may not know a lot, I will not poke humor at them. Now 'mandrake4565', C_D aka caddi daddi, Johan45 well they are fair game. They all know more about this stuff than me. So they have their own swim fins on. They are fully able to take it. Others I will not knowingly poke humor at. You hang in there and it will look up shortly.
RGone...

Thanks for the welcome. Do you think I should do this, even if with Afterburner or OverDrive, on a junky computer? I've read though that it takes quite a bit to permanently damage your components.

I'm sorry about this to the new member and I honestly, we had a spam/troll attack here at the forum the other day and folks here got some strange PMs, myself included, so I scanned the thread quickly, saw a few questions getting batted around, and saw the name 'blacklist' and that's when I decided to joke around thinking it was another attack or something. It was my mistake in not being thorough with the text and I'm sorry it was at your expense. That was NOT my intention. I was trying to be lighthearted/kidding around, which I don't do enough around here.

It's been a long day for me and I also want to take this time to apologize to Johan45. I'm sorry for letting you guys down and the new user... but it wasn't my intention to hurt anyone and yeah I know its probably too late to say that but oh well. :-/

and as most of the folks know around here, I try to go out of my way to help new members get set up. I simply read through the text to quickly. I guess 1 hour of sleep last night didn't help.

Ditch the overdrive and read that link I posted that will give you a good idea of what you neeed to do and by the way it's not a crappy computer

Blacklist, you need to address the cooling issues before you try and overclock.

If good advice is given already, it was replace the stock cooler with something that can overclock.

Learning you bios is great and all, but killing hardware can be easy to do if your not cooled properly, or at the very least greatly shorten the life cycle of the cpu from overheating.

And sorry for laughing. It was just funny and in good humor for a welcome to the forums. I think it means you can be a little loose sometimes and enjoy life.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome. Do you think I should do this, even if with Afterburner or OverDrive, on a junky computer? I've read though that it takes quite a bit to permanently damage your components.

1. Afterburner is used to overclock a video card. I focus much less on overclocking a video card until I really do my homework. Video cards depending on the era the card comes from, can run really hot when pushed. Many video cards cost more than the motherboard, cpu and cpu cooler all put together. So video overclocking falls away from the top of my list.

2. In the fall of 2011 there was a pretty competent user in here that was running an FX-8150 8 core on a CHlV motherboard. Let me say this right now. The FX-8150 default normal speed was 3.6Ghz. The FX-8350 has a default/stock speed of 4.0Ghz and that speed is what many of the first FX-8150's were overclocked up to. So stock today on the greater 8 core is the same as was previously called an overclock. That means that at stock, todays FX-8350 draws almost the power from the cpu power circuit that an overclocked 8 core used to consume.

3. From #2 above, the stock cpu cooler is supposed to allow the FX-8350 to perform as designed in a well ventilated case. BUT then when we overclock the FX-8350 we turn ON ALL 8 cores at the same time and that sir is a huge difference in how the cpu is run and how designed to run.

4. I would fully expect that you could press the DELETE key at the appropriate time during the boot process and turn off cool n quiet; turn off turbocore; turn off C1E and turn off or Disable C6 and then go and manually adjust the cpu multipier to 21 and save and exit the bios and I would bet it would boot to windows. Might even run P95 Blend mode for 20 mins or so and not fail. Monitoring this with HWMonitor open on the desktop monitoring and logging temps and voltage.

5. As in #4 above that board is likely that good for an 8 core cpu providing the bios gives FULL support for the cpu. Now there is one serious caveat about that motherboard if I rememeber the details from a year and a half ago and that is there is n0 disable APM bios setting on that motherboard and the huge draw of power thru the VRMs will cause the OCP circuit to throttle the cpu. Now this part is the best I can remember about the CHlV and 8 core cpus. There are some workarounds for that cpu throttling but you are not there yet maybe.
RGone...

A quick guide for overclocking your cpu.....

To enter bios, repeatedly tap the Delete key right when the motherboard turns on. Usually number lock light will light up when this happens.

Once you enter the bios, where you set up time, boot priority ect; there are a couple of tabs that need attention.

For Overclocking~
The first Tab you want to seek is the Cpu advance settings tab. This is where the core unlock feature is normally located along with VM support and all the power savings (or at least Cool and quiet and C1E support.)

Cool and Quiet and C1E support need to be disabled manually. This will stop Cpu clocks from falling to power saving Pstates and lower voltage for even greater power saveings.

The second tab is the Extreme Tweaker Tab. This is where you'll find all the bios settings needed for overclocking. From Cpu to Ram and NB and HTT speeds are all controlled in this field.

The things you should shut off in Extreme Tweaker tab are:

AMD Turbo Core technology
Extreme OV (off by default but check it!)

Your Cpu will be stable at 4.2ghz @ 1.425v at the highest "turbo" Pstate. This is about all the voltage your stock cooler can handle. I suggest not going over 1.425v manually, and do set your cpu voltage manually.

I think you can squeeze about 200mhz from that cpu safely @ 1.425v maybe 300mhz if she stays stable.

Max Temp for that processor is 70c. When overclocking, you want your temps as low as possible. you'll see many people running liquid cooling with these chips to actually get a decent OC.

In your sig it looks like you have some pretty nice Ram. You can manually set this up in the Extreme Tweaker tab as well as you'll notice.

your Ram is rated. 10-12-12-31 @ 1.65v. You probably can safely run this speed IF your IMC or integrated memory controller can handle it. Most of the time, this is a pretty high over clock and some extra tweaking may be needed in order to run those respected speeds 100% stable. But I think you should work on a slight 200mhz cpu oc before taking this plunge.

Hope some of this mini crash course helps!!

ŞɧʁɨɱǷβʁɨɱЄ~:comp:

What do you mean by "junky computer"? Your Sig indicates you have some pretty high quality components in place. Is the rig in the Sig the one you are asking about as far as overclocking?

To get into bios, repeatedly press athe Delet key as the computer is starting up. I know someone else already said that but I wanted to add that though most of the time the Delete key is what gets you into bios there are some motherboards that wil use another key like F2 for instance. Bios is also known as "setup".

Back