• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
5. As in #4 above that board is likely that good for an 8 core cpu providing the bios gives FULL support for the cpu. Now there is one serious caveat about that motherboard if I rememeber the details from a year and a half ago and that is there is n0 disable APM bios setting on that motherboard and the huge draw of power thru the VRMs will cause the OCP circuit to throttle the cpu. Now this part is the best I can remember about the CHlV and 8 core cpus. There are some workarounds for that cpu throttling but you are not there yet maybe.
RGone...

I'm just leaving for work but can boot into bios on my little rig and check what's all there to be disabled when I get home later today and post some screen shots of the bios if that will help. Not sure if the bios will match up with that of blacklists though as if my memory is right the bios for the FX CPU is different and will not work for the PII's as I have my 1090T on my CHIVE.

What do you mean by "junky computer"? Your Sig indicates you have some pretty high quality components in place. Is the rig in the Sig the one you are asking about as far as overclocking?

To get into bios, repeatedly press athe Delet key as the computer is starting up. I know someone else already said that but I wanted to add that though most of the time the Delete key is what gets you into bios there are some motherboards that wil use another key like F2 for instance. Bios is also known as "setup".

I mean, should I pick up a cheap junker from a friend get a cooler, then clock it? From what I've read though it seems like I should be fine, providing I get a new cooler

I mean, should I pick up a cheap junker from a friend get a cooler, then clock it? From what I've read though it seems like I should be fine, providing I get a new cooler
This is totally up to you. Though, if you learn about what you are doing, have patience and don't use windows based programs you are unlikely to harm anything. First and foremost, you are going to need a better heatsink. What I feel you should do before anything further is done is this: Download Prime95, Hwmonitor and Cpu-z. Open Hwmonitor and run prime95 for 20 minutes, if the cpu or the package temperatures exceed 70 and 60c respectively stop the test. Then post individual pictures of Hwmonitor after prime was run and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and memory. This will give us a peek under the hood of your temps as well as your memory timings/speed etc.

Edit: I really like that case, I've never seen one before.

Last edited:
Ok will do. Should have pictures hopefully by Friday. I'm getting my desk finished so my rig's down at moment.

I'm just leaving for work but can boot into bios on my little rig and check what's all there to be disabled when I get home later today and post some screen shots of the bios if that will help. Not sure if the bios will match up with that of blacklists though as if my memory is right the bios for the FX CPU is different and will not work for the PII's as I have
my 1090T on my CHIVE.

Yes, now that it has been explained, I think I should be able to get into it.

Yeah, blacklist I think you're on your way now.

As I said in my PM, thanks for understanding. Sometimes things are out of control and people aren't always perfect, that's why God gave us humor and ultimately I just have to laugh about that.

I wish you the best of luck in your build. And I wanted to say, pertaining to the video card and your questions about MSI afterburner. It's a great program even if you don't use it for overclocking. It has the potential to help you learn the ins and outs of a GPU, how it works and also to monitor critical aspects like your GPU voltage, temp and fan controls, among other things. I have found a good guide for you to take a look at if you wish. It provides screenshots and how tos on its basic functions and also how to overclock, perhaps later on down the road once you get acquainted with the concepts specific to your GPU. Typically we recommend using the bios (the basic input output system) to overclock the computer and your processor, but the GPU is a little more difficult (especially if its locked) and in that case, MSI Afterburner is a great resource to use in conjunction with GPUz. Here is a link to both the afterburner guide and the GPUz download:
MSI Afterburner Guide:
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=161235.0
GPUz:
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

I actually didn't know what BIOS stood for, thanks for the info. And I also heard that Afterburner can also capture video?

You should be able to leave everything in your BIOS on AUTO as I have, albeit it's an Intel i5 2500K @4.5GHz. Try just changing the multiplier to 22 for a 4.4GHz overclock. I may be wrong as I'm not all that familiar with AMD CPUs and mobos.:drool:

You should be able to leave everything in your BIOS on AUTO as I have, albeit it's an Intel i5 2500K @4.5GHz. Try just changing the multiplier to 22 for a 4.4GHz overclock. I may be wrong as I'm not all that familiar with AMD CPUs and mobos.:drool:

FX-8350s are not intel cpus at all. Default settings have not proven capable in overclocking any FX-8350 to 4.4Ghz yet in this AMD Cpu Forum section.

My pre-installed Asus GPU monitor says the CPU ( I think) is only running at 2200 mhz. Is there any way to crank this to it's full 4000mhz without altering voltage or increasing temps too high? I'm not at the point of buying a heatsink yet, so it needs to stay under 60C with the stock one.

This will add some heat so just keep an eye on temps after you put the rig back together again.

1)Put your cpu and motherboard in the dryer, heat sink is optional

2)Clean the lint filter to prevent scorching the VRMS

3)Turn heat on high

4)PRESS AND HOLD the START button for a few seconds, so the dryer cycle activates

5)Set time to 50 minutes

6)Re-assemble PC and enjoy

What're you talking about?, this's the thread about how to overclock an FX8350
TO THE OP: you need to download CPU ID
http://www.cpuid.com/

When you're done, come back here and let us help you more

Please read the manual that came With Your Mobo, if you can't enter the UEFI/BIOS.
It even says a great deal on how to overclock.
And check the AMD Mobo section here for Your specific motherboard,CPU and RAM, so you'll learn some important steps along the way. Please. ;-)

Good Luck!

Back