• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX6300 Illegal Sumout

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theboywhowaited

Registered
Hey everyone,
I am trying to overclock my fx6300 on a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX mobo at 4.2ghz. The first attempt at prime95 blend, the system lasted for a couple hours before I got an illegal sumout on the fourth worker. After googling the issue, I read that increasing the voltage could help the system become more stable. I increased it by one click, but the issue came back after about 7.5 hours. The voltage is now set at 1.392 V. I think if I get another illegal sumout error, I will decrease the OC multiple so I will hit 4.1ghz. Do you think I am giving up to easily, or is my PC not capable of hitting 4.2? My temps are okay, I am sitting at 56-58C.

Theboywhowaited, Welcome to the forum. First give us some more specs on the pc, case, how many fans, what are you cooling the cpu with, psu make and model etc... If you're able to pass 2 hours of prime blend, in most instances the Pc will be stable. I use my pc's for work and am pretty hard on them and I know if I can pass two hours of prime blend they will take anything I throw at them without issue. In some cases you will need to run it longer but for most people 2 hours is enough. That said if you don't have it already download HWmonitor and Cpu-Z. Open HWmonitor and run prime 20 minutes at your 4.2 settings, then post back here screen shots of Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and memory. Here is how to post screen shots.

I have two front intake fans, one bottom intake fan, one top exhaust fan, and a rear exhaust fan.

I am currently using the Respire t-40 to OC.

CPU- AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core $109.99
CPU Cooler- NZXT Respire T40 68.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3
Memory- Wintec One 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage- PNY 120g SSD
Storage- Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5"
Storage-Seagate- Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card- PNY GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Case- NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply- Corsair 750W ATX12V
Optical Drive- LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System- Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Case Fan- 1 Antec 75024 79.0 CFM 120mm
x3 Kingwin CF-012LB 40.0 CFM 120mm

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    344.9 KB · Views: 777
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    343.3 KB · Views: 753
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    350.9 KB · Views: 759
You are leaving out a big piece of the puzzle by not showing the CPU (Socket Temp) but that being said with only a 4 + 1 power section on your motherboard you might be asking a bit too much trying to OC an FX CPU.

Hey everyone,
I am trying to overclock my fx6300 on a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX mobo at 4.2ghz. The first attempt at prime95 blend, the system lasted for a couple hours before I got an illegal sumout on the fourth worker. After googling the issue, I read that increasing the voltage could help the system become more stable. I increased it by one click, but the issue came back after about 7.5 hours. The voltage is now set at 1.392 V. I think if I get another illegal sumout error, I will decrease the OC multiple so I will hit 4.1ghz. Do you think I am giving up to easily, or is my PC not capable of hitting 4.2? My temps are okay, I am sitting at 56-58C.

I'll be honest with you. More voltage and more cooling. Cooling first voltage later. Fan mod, re-seat, case flow, or upgrade.

I'd rather see 47c at load or LESS with this low voltage.

I understand. I am waiting on my H440 to install my Corsair H100. I am starting to get a real interest in overclocking (was not interested when I first built) so I will probably get a new motherboard. I think I can hit 4.1 close to stock voltages around those temps. Or would you recommend not even a slight overclock?

Also could you recommend a solid 990fx mobo?

Also could you recommend a solid 990fx mobo? > And you say you are becoming interested in overclocking > So personally I would recommend the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and it should not be any part of holding back an overclock all the way thru some very serious Water Cooling setups.
RGone...

That motherboard does not have a stout enough VRM component to handle that CPU overclocked.

So you don't think I could even pull of 4.1ghz? When I was testing, it seemed like 4.1ghz was doable at closer to stock voltages. I mean, 4.1 should be possible if for no other reason, the CPU gets boosted to that when it hits Turbo. Right?

Last edited:
So you don't think I could even pull of 4.1ghz? When I was testing, it seemed like 4.1ghz was doable at closer to stock voltages. I mean, 4.1 should be possible if for no other reason, the CPU gets boosted to that when it hits Turbo. Right?

I was referring to a significant overclock. 4.1 is hardly worth the trouble.

Oh I understand. For me, I guess it would be more of a bragging thing with my friends as none of them have overclocked. But at least I have this experience when I am ready to push it to the limits. Overclocking was not nearly as hard (or scarey as I thought it would be). I guess I am going cancel prime95 and not push the limits until my computer is more equiped to handle the demands. Thanks for all your help guys. See you soon :)

for my overclock, i use offset voltage, disabled all c-states except c1e, then set my target overclock and would raise the offset little by little for every crash or bsod i had. i am able to run at 4.4ghz max. i would go higher, but i need a better cooler.

try using the same method i used for your overclock and let us know how it works out.

Hey,

Decided to wait until I got a 990fx board to start overclocking. I did use your method however, and I was able to get up to 4.2 at 1.38V for 7 hours stable. That's when my fourth core had an illegal sumout error.

Looking at hardware sites to try to find a used board for cheap but I will probably go the safer route and buy a brand new board if there are not any outstanding deals.

Looking at hardware sites to try to find a used board for cheap but I will probably go the safer route and buy a brand new board if there are not any outstanding deals.

One option here would be to get it as an "Open Box" item. Got my Sabertooth 2.0 that way and I'm more than pleased with it.
Just remember if you do this, the board might not come with everything it would have if bought new, otherwise it's guaranteed to work but you only have 30 days from the invoice date to ask for a refund. Personally I've bought this and another board as open box, both were good and work to this day.

BTW they do have one ATM for less than I had paid for mine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877R

If you are getting 7 hours prime BLEND then you can safely call your OC Stable.

For the real big OC's, if you decide to go down that road later you will need to think of what your goals will be in your OC and plan any upgrades to your system accordingly. Motherboard, cooling and case flow. When the time is right don't be afraid to ask questions we are always here to help answer them. Think carefully in this as this hobby can be addictive and expensive.

Oh okay, well that's pretty cool then. I still stopped overclocking until I can pursue it completely. Take care

If you are getting 7 hours prime BLEND then you can safely call your OC Stable.

For the real big OC's, if you decide to go down that road later you will need to think of what your goals will be in your OC and plan any upgrades to your system accordingly. Motherboard, cooling and case flow. When the time is right don't be afraid to ask questions we are always here to help answer them. Think carefully in this as this hobby can be addictive and expensive.

A real delayed Prime95 failure, especially 6 hours or more until an error, I would then add some more cool air and I would try Linpack.
There's a Linpack that's compatible with AMD. Linpack should fail within 10 minutes if unstable.

If the original Linpack isn't compatible with AMD, then there's a patched Linpack available.

Back