• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX6300 Overclocking: Help a noob out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bmilcs

Hello,

I've been browsing through the AMD stickies as told, but I could still use some help stabilizing my overclock.

To start off, I'm new to overclocking. This is the first computer where I'm attempting to do it. My current settings, so I thought, were "stable" but I never did any real testing :p. I've been enjoying playing World of Warcraft and Team Fortress 2 at 4.5 ghz.

Then, I purchased BF3. And the crashes began.

So, I downloaded Prime95, Core Temp, and started the balanced testing. I am afraid I'm going to push the voltage too far and overheat too much. Needless to say, Workers 5 & 6 fail within 5 minutes of testing.

What is the max temperature I should allow my cpu to hit? When should I say enough is enough voltage wise?

Thanks you for the help,
Bryan

Okay well first may I ask what your cooling your CPU with. Also what are your temps like? What MOBO are you using and what PSU do you have? How many volts are you pushing?

Okay well first may I ask what your cooling your CPU with. Also what are your temps like? What MOBO are you using and what PSU do you have? How many volts are you pushing?

Idle temps at my current settings which aren't stable are around 25c. When I was stresstesting, before crashing, they'd reach around 60c.

CPU: FX6300 4.5 ghz, 1.416v
MB ASRock 970 EXTREME 3
GPU Gigabyte GTX 660
MON: ASUS VG248QE
HS CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus
PSU: Rosewill 600W

It could be that you need to add a little bit of voltage. Try 1.5v and test it... Or you might just down click your CPU... Just because of the 212... The VRM get really got on AMD....

1.5v is fine? I don't want to push too far. That's a safe volt to remain at?

Yes I would not go over it at all... If anything see of you can get it stable at 4ghz with 1.4v and then go up from there... Every chip is different you might have just got a bad overclocker...

Before you go too far run your Prime 95 with HW monitor open an post some pics. I ask for HW monitor because it's the staple and it's free. Most people here know how to read it.
You have a fairly minimal board for that CPU which is the source of some of your heat. Max temps in HWmonitor are 70 for CPU(socket) and 60 for the package (cores)
If you're getting 60 already and not knowing if that's the core or socket temp raising the voltage at this point is not recommended.
Do you have all the green stuff shut of in Bios like cool and quiet, C1e;C6 and also disable the turbo function. Also for full stability we'll want to see pics of CPUz, spd tab and memory tab .

Before you go too far run your Prime 95 with HW monitor open an post some pics. I ask for HW monitor because it's the staple and it's free. Most people here know how to read it.
You have a fairly minimal board for that CPU which is the source of some of your heat. Max temps in HWmonitor are 70 for CPU(socket) and 60 for the package (cores)
If you're getting 60 already and not knowing if that's the core or socket temp raising the voltage at this point is not recommended.
Do you have all the green stuff shut of in Bios like cool and quiet, C1e;C6 and also disable the turbo function. Also for full stability we'll want to see pics of CPUz, spd tab and memory tab .

I have disabled all of those features in BIOS, yes.

I will take pictures when I get a chance. I'm at work atm. Thanks.

I've been told to not use HWMonitor by a few people because its inaccurate.

Ill give it a shot.

Like "Johan45" says we always use HWMonitor (free) here in the forum and know what it reads now for years. Nothing software is really super accurate. The chip read from is likely less than a dollar Usd. So not lab spec for sure.

The newer free HWMonitor shows a number of temps and they are not all "real" temps depending on the motherboard brand and model. Asus motherboards are more easily read by any monitoring software. Some of the others don't have a true reading no matter what software reads the temps or voltages.

A good post showing 3 cpuz and HWMonitor. The captures are all readable and easy to see.
LINK >>
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7248817&postcount=16

6300 should make 4.5 @ 1.375V dont push NB above 2200 till you get it stable, as it adds to instability. There are other posts further down on same topic.

I don't know Mandrake. I'm reading reviews on newegg and one claims:

"currently holding it's own at 4.6Ghz with core voltage sitting at 1.39"

one claims:
Yes but it is that "claims" which is key. Gawd knows how often people come here with a "claim" but when really testing for stability, the 'claim' falls apart since they were not stable under real stress.
RGone...

one claims:
Yes but it is that "claims" which is key. Gawd knows how often people come here with a "claim" but when really testing for stability, the 'claim' falls apart since they were not stable under real stress.
RGone...

True true.

I'm reading reviews on newegg
This isn't newegg! I go by what I see in here helping people day in and day out.

"Overclocks to 4.4ghz stable with no voltage increase,"
what do you consider stable? 2 hours prime is what I consider stable.

We tried helping you out in your last post, but you seemed to disappear into thin air on that one. We have also yet to see a single HWmonitor ss, or Cpu-Z tabs, cpu, spd and memory? It makes it really difficult for us to help without see what is going on inside of your pc.

I've been reading in other forums and heard that Prime95 isn't ideal for FX chips. Any truth to this?

Back