• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX6300 Overclocking: Help a noob out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ASRock 970 EXTREME 3 = 4+1 power phase.Not saying you cant overclock, but just something for you to consider.Not good for pushing high overclocks.

ASRock 970 EXTREME 3 = 4+1 power phase.Not saying you cant overclock, but just something for you to consider.Not good for pushing high overclocks.

You are correct "Wipeout" and the Asrock 970 Ext3's have been one of the prime offenders at being a real pain in the rear to get to overclock only somewhat from day one. I see from this thread that the boards have not changed any over the course of a year and a half.

Those boards being cheap is just what they are...cheap. Sadly Asrock has some good ones but the users always opt for cheap and the nametags like Extreme3 and 4. The Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX and the 990FX EXT9 that seems to have replaced are likely awesome motherboards. The Fatal1ty is for sure.

Sadly also Asrock had 990FX EXT 4 boards with good paper-specs and we have not seen a single one of them come into this forum section in the possession of a single owner. Nothing but the elcheapo 970Ext3 and a few 970Ext4s.

I don't think there is a single thing wrong with the 970 cheaper chipset as delivered from AMD. I think the cheap chipset as utilized with surrounding cast on the boards has been abysmal for overclocking FX processors. Asrock took cheap to heart and made a cheap board and got a lot of buyers that now cannot do nearly what they could have with other better motherboards. That is the kicker. A kick in the seat of the pants that you cannot adjust or buy CPU coolers or whatever to get away from. Only a board like the Asus CHV, the Sabertooth 990FX, the Asrock Fatal1y (now EXT 9 likely), the Gigabyte UD5 or UD7 boards. Only those boards that you pay for really have a pretty good overclocking history. A shame is all I can say.
RGone...

Yup. Sorry I'm not being as thorough as you liked.
You have to understand that there is a method to our madness. We say what we say because we cannot be at your pc doing it ourselves. Not being able to limits us from being able to understand what is going under the hood. As the two post above suggest and what I said earlier is still important, you may not be able to push that board no matter how much v core you throw at it. What I feel you should do is stop where you are and run prime for 2 hours at 4.2 and see if it is stable there. If it is then proceed with what you're doing.

You are correct "Wipeout" and the Asrock 970 Ext3's have been one of the prime offenders at being a real pain in the rear to get to overclock only somewhat from day one. I see from this thread that the boards have not changed any over the course of a year and a half.

Those boards being cheap is just what they are...cheap. Sadly Asrock has some good ones but the users always opt for cheap and the nametags like Extreme3 and 4. The Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX and the 990FX EXT9 that seems to have replaced are likely awesome motherboards. The Fatal1ty is for sure.

Sadly also Asrock had 990FX EXT 4 boards with good paper-specs and we have not seen a single one of them come into this forum section in the possession of a single owner. Nothing but the elcheapo 970Ext3 and a few 970Ext4s.

I don't think there is a single thing wrong with the 970 cheaper chipset as delivered from AMD. I think the cheap chipset as utilized with surrounding cast on the boards has been abysmal for overclocking FX processors. Asrock took cheap to heart and made a cheap board and got a lot of buyers that now cannot do nearly what they could have with other better motherboards. That is the kicker. A kick in the seat of the pants that you cannot adjust or buy CPU coolers or whatever to get away from. Only a board like the Asus CHV, the Sabertooth 990FX, the Asrock Fatal1y (now EXT 9 likely), the Gigabyte UD5 or UD7 boards. Only those boards that you pay for really have a pretty good overclocking history. A shame is all I can say.
RGone...

If only I had known this going in. I did a quick google search on the board before purchasing it and according to reviews and Tom's Hardware, it was more than capable of pushing a solid overclock.

Obviously you can't trust strangers ;). I just found out about overclockers a few weeks ago.

However, I'm going to keep trying and thoroughly test my 4.2 ghz overclock tonight with a 2 hour run of prime95.

I had purchased a gigabyte replacement board but when I received it and plugged it in, one of the SYSFAN's shorted out and caused a spark which freaked me out and decided to stay with what I had.

Bad luck I guess?

Thanks everyone again for all the support, guys. It takes me a little while to catch on but I learn eventually.

I know I'm frustrating to listen to, but I'm getting there. I try and take shortcuts but that isn't wise when it comes to overclocking. When I get some free time this weekend, I'll make sure to take my time with it.

no i dont stress test for hours on end. I just go into FSx and fly if there are any instabilities it will crash, even when Prime has passed.

bmilcs, yes it can be frustrating, I'll try to explain why. Like I said previously, we cannot sit down at your pc and get hands on with it, to see under the hood. That is why we ask for very specific information from the user. CPU_Z, cpu, spd and memory tabs and HWmonitor under load. This is as close to your pc as we can get. These screen shots gives us most of the information we need to try and HELP you voluntarily. We do this because we like to not because we have to. If all the information is not given and or that person we are trying to help isn't following the methods we try to teach, we are running somewhat blind. Overclocking can be fun but it can also be frustrating, especially if one is trying to get to X mhz too quickly. If you want to learn how to overclock you came to the right place. I have learned most of what I know from the people here. One of the most important things I have learned is, if you try to push too fast and of make too many changes at once you are more often then not going to want to throw your pc out the window. Taking your time, having patience, especially when you are new and taking good notes of every change you make will help you learn.

With all that said, please post a CPU_Z Spd and memory tab so we can see if your timings are correct and what the spd profiles are on your Dram.

taking good notes of every change you make will help you learn.

With all that said, please post a CPU_Z Spd and memory tab so we can see if your timings are correct and what the spd profiles are on your Dram.

Was not long after I started to overclock, I began to take digital pics of all my overclock setting pages. Viewed the pics on laptop and had a good, real view of what was what. Pics saved my booty a number of times. Then I began to setup profiles of the stock speed and my normal overclock and that saved a lot of time. But using the pics was a huge boost when I was learning.

When I built rigs for a few local friends or whatever, I included pics of their bios on the informational CD I furnished them. Heck of a lot easier for me to see if there were any changes made I was not aware of. Just tricks that saved me plenty of times.
RGone...ster.

It was that Harry feller that gave me the idea of taking notes. Then it was beat into me by some other clown named Robert :D. Thanks for all the help boys and were is the T man?

Last I heard the T-man was back in the classroom paddling upstream as hard as he could go. To be out of the classroom for 4 decades and return again...well it takes some time away from what one used to do. Hehehe. Glad I am not paddling in his stream for sure.
RGone...

OH.

By the way, after changing my memory to 1333 mhz, I was able to finally play BF3 last night.

I'm not sure if I'm into it. I like Team Fortress 2 more to be honest. More fun.

b milcs, 1333 ram will hold you back, after you find your cpu clock these guys will help you get the ram clocked and that will improve things also.

to help improve the game time and keep what we've got, go into the bios and disable 2 or 4 cores, this will let you clock the other cores higher and keep the game time fun.

Last edited:
b milcs, 1333 ram will hold you back, after you find your cpu clock these guys will help you get the ram clocked and that will improve things also.

to help improve the game time and keep what we've got, go into the bios and disable 2 or 4 cores, this will let you clock the other cores higher and keep the game time fun.

I've read of people doing that. What software utilizes more than 2-4 cores? Explain.

There are many bmilcs! My Bluray software will use my FX8350 and 2 GTX 580's to 100%. C_D has some program that he runs( at least I've heard rumours) that will run for days fully utilizing the CPU. F@H, the list goes on!! Depends on what you're in to.
So how bout some pics!!

There are many bmilcs! My Bluray software will use my FX8350 and 2 GTX 580's to 100%. C_D has some program that he runs( at least I've heard rumours) that will run for days fully utilizing the CPU. F@H, the list goes on!! Depends on what you're in to.
So how bout some pics!!

Pic's of what good sir?

My 2 hour prime95? Still haven't had time :(

These are a start to get your ram straight:thup:
Even prime for 20 mins with HWmonitor pics is a good start let's us see what's going on
EDIT: and plse use the snippiog tool in windows those screen shots are just too small for my old peepers!

Back