• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX6300 Overclocking: Help a noob out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^QFT^

I went back to my "Is it a contender" Thread where I had Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX mobo and a borrowed FX-6300. I knew I had put the CPU under load while it was in my possession. This is one page from that long thread.

Rounding up the FX-6300...stress test at 4.6Ghz under very dang good cooling.

I notice no Prime95.

I'm going to post screenshots when I get a chance. I might not be able to do it tonight because I have a meeting to go to after work. Tomorrow most likely.

The latest version works fine of P95.

PS: Lin-X has proven easier to pass and I was in a hurry to get the FX-6300 back to its' real owner so i stopped short of doing a P95 run.

PS2: well without actual screenshots of what we are dealing with under load at your end we are mostly out in the backyard baying at the moon. It just happens that way.
RGone...

Here are the screenshots of what I have going atm.

All I've recently touched after resetting to default are the multiplier / vcore.

Attachments

• default1.png
    default1.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 86
  • default2.png
    default2.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 85
Ok just so I'm on the same page, the screen shot in post #24. Is after you reset everything to default and then overclocked it to 4.4 correct? Clearly it isn't a stable overclock. At what clock speed have you run prime for 2 hours to see if it's stable? I would also like to see cpu-z memory tab ss. You are running your ram at 800mhz, did you know this?

Ok just so I'm on the same page, the screen shot in post #24. Is after you reset everything to default and then overclocked it to 4.4 correct? Clearly it isn't a stable overclock. At what clock speed have you run prime for 2 hours to see if it's stable? I would also like to see cpu-z memory tab ss. You are running your ram at 800mhz, did you know this?

I have been unable to get a stable overclock period. I am new to this. Is 800 MHz low?

800Mhz is below the standard speed of 1333... It is very very very low.. Are your games one right now? I would recommend a different MOBO can you RMA it back to newegg?

False I did the prime 95 test and passed over 10m days 24/7 in the F@H CC and not one issue that's stable IMHO

False I did the prime 95 test and passed over 10m days 24/7 in the F@H CC and not one issue that's stable IMHO

I never said to get rid I the chip. I'm talking about the MOBO. Also, he could have just gotten a bad clocking chip... I could get a 6300 that boots stable to 5ghz in 1.4v and he may get a chip that can only OC .1 or .5 over its all luck of the lottery.

I need 1.47v on my 8350 to get 4.64G Like mandrake and Rgone said Just because yours does doesn't mean his will. If it will do default settings, they sell it , just because it's a BE doesn't mean anything!!

800Mhz is below the standard speed of 1333... It is very very very low.. Are your games one right now? I would recommend a different MOBO can you RMA it back to newegg?

Where are you seeing a speed of 800 mhz?

Edit: Fail. I assume you meant DRAM frequency at 400 mhz.

I went into BIOS. It was set to AUTO; I changed it to DDR3-1333 and now my freq is up to 666.7 mhz. Thank you.

Thats the default speed of the ram more than likely. They just OC it and sell it as 1333

bmilcs, once again I feel you should go and read the guide to overclocking that Johan linked to you in the first post you made to help you overclock. Then you need to put everything back to stock, shut off all the power saving features such as Cool and Quiet, C1E etc. Then start by bumping the multiplier .5 and test 20 min prime if you don't lose a worker, freeze or bsod then bump it again .5, rinse and repeat. When you start having issues you need to start adding Cpu V core. Just keep the cpu temp below 70 and the package/socket temp below 60.
Overclocking takes patience, if you are just going to try and input settings you read on the internet, you will find more times then not you are going to be frustrated. Even if the components are exactly the same, they may not react and respond the same way. If you really want to learn to overclock and see what your chip can do you need to take your time, take good notes and listen to the people here trying to help you.

EDIT: I believe Rgone said it in your last post and Thor mentioned it in this post, your board isn't a very robust board for overclocking. You may find that you aren't able to overclock on it at all.

I plan on starting from square one.

I went ahead and reduced my overclock and was successful with prime95 20 min test. The voltage feels a bit high for this so I'm going to try bringing it down some.

Seeing that at max, the vcore used was 1.376v, does that mean I can reduce my vcore to around that level?

Attachments

• success1.png
    success1.png
    61 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Raised my multiplier to 4.2 ghz and had a 20 min successful prime95 session:

Edit: Worker #1 stopped after a few tests but I was using my computer to do other things. Going to retest it again.

Attachments

• success2.png
    success2.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 78
4.2 ghz @ 1.4v - 20 min test:

Attachments

• success2.png
    success2.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 78
Back