• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) OC Report

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok....so I can't really say what my Opteron will do yet...but when I get this RAM I can test for sure. But speculating that I can hit 3006 Mhz (which is 334FSB) I could run a 5/6 divider or possibly even a 6/7 divider? of course that's assuming my CPU will do that and my RAM will perform similarly to yours, Dom.
And I kinda hope that my CPU will do better than 3.0 :drool: :)

I can start finding out Thursday or Friday! here's to hoping! *cross fingers*

I have an interesting pointer to add to this thread.
I noticed that a user posted that Samsung UCCC has compatibility issues with Asus A8 motherboards and this could be the reason that some people are failing memtest at stock rated speed and timings with the Gskill.

Can anyone confirm this information? I was just browsing through a few other threads and found this.

Dom

dominick32 said:
I have an interesting pointer to add to this thread.
I noticed that a user posted that Samsung UCCC has compatibility issues with Asus A8 motherboards and this could be the reason that some people are failing memtest at stock rated speed and timings with the Gskill.

Can anyone confirm this information? I was just browsing through a few other threads and found this.

Dom
I can confirm that I had stability problems on my A8N Premium @ 250mhz. What I did was increase the chipset volt to 1.6v and lower the Vdimm to 2.65v (I think) @ 3-4-4-8 1T.:beer:

These settings worked for me and I'm currently at 236x 11 with my crappy 3500+:bang head. I have yet to try 260X10 but I'll be back with results later maybe.

mine do 11 x 265 stock voltage and stock timings 3-4-4-8 and can do 10 x 280 stock as well, im working on hitting 3ghz, 11 x 275 might have to bump my cpu voltage up so im not sure

I tested mine to 280Mhz @ 2.62 and they did fine....I didn't try any higher cause I only needed 278.
I'm sure they would do a little bit more tho, I basically found my CPU's max and what the closest divider would get me to and shot for that. So I didn't do the normal overclocking procedures...I just dialed in 280 and ram memtest for 2 full passes...

bboyfobulous said:
i just got mine yesterday from the egg ... runnin @ 265 x 11

hopin to push to at least 275 and hopefully 285-290
im doing 265 x 11 as well, on stock voltages tried 275 and was having some problems have to play around more with my dfi board. weird i can do 280 x 10 but not 280 x 11 =/ still trying to work on 280 x 11

i just memtest'ed my 265 x 11 and i'm gettin like a thousand errors .... i can run it at 250MHz 3-4-4-8 1T with no problems... anything higher and memtest gives errors ....

at 265 i use 2.75v and still get errors.... i can guarantee that its not the CPU ..

did i get a bad set of sticks ????

bboyfobulous said:
i just memtest'ed my 265 x 11 and i'm gettin like a thousand errors .... i can run it at 250MHz 3-4-4-8 1T with no problems... anything higher and memtest gives errors ....

at 265 i use 2.75v and still get errors.... i can guarantee that its not the CPU ..

did i get a bad set of sticks ????

Mine are basically the same way, I think it all depends on the manufacturing date on how good these O/C

aron89 said:
I can confirm that I had stability problems on my A8N Premium @ 250mhz. What I did was increase the chipset volt to 1.6v and lower the Vdimm to 2.65v (I think) @ 3-4-4-8 1T.:beer:

These settings worked for me and I'm currently at 236x 11 with my crappy 3500+:bang head. I have yet to try 260X10 but I'll be back with results later maybe.

i might try raising the chipset voltage .... did that help you pass memtest? ??

hopin it'll help me

I think that most peoples experiences with these is that raising the voltages does not help with OC's ...and in some cases can hurt it (as is some people actually got better results going a little below 2.6v)

You just have to keep playing to find your sweet spot (mine was 2.62v)

okae here's my status update

Opty 148 @ 265 x 11 and RAM @ 1:1 3-4-4-8 1T 2.5v
I Prime-tested my CPU & RAM for about 22 hrs w/ no problems whatsoever...
after that I ran Memtest and received errors at around 40% through the test (approx 60 errors)

okae so what I wanna know is ...
Is this okae to say my system is relatively stable??
or should I just use a divider and lower the FSB on the RAM back to stock speed?

well....those memory errors are gonna catch up with you eventually. And I dunno...maybe running the memory unstable can cause it to have more problems? sounds possible.

But I would say that unless you like blue screens and random reboots and stuff....you should probably lower it with a divider

You can always figure out what your max RAM is...and then see if maybe you can up your HTT and lower your multiplier (still giving you the same CPU speed) but giving you a higher HTT. Then the divider might come closer to your RAM's maximum.

Like if you goto a 290HTT and multiplier of 10 ...then you could do a 9/10 divier and your RAm would be at 261 ...maybe it'll do that just fine

Any errors in memtest indicate an unstable system in my opinion. Just because Prime95 did not error does not necessarily mean other programs won't. What prime tests did you use... small fft, large fft, blend? Small fft frequently won't cause memory errors because most of the data is held in the processor's cache.

Play with the voltage and secondary timings... those gskills ought to be able to handle 265MHz. Maybe some others can suggest which settings will affect stability on your combination of gskills and asus board.

in prime, the test I used was blend. i'm at work right now, but when i get back i'll try playing with the voltage more. i think that might the biggest problem right now.

hopefully these can handle 265 ...if not, then at least i know it'll run stock ...

Guys with the week 603's do not raise your voltage any higher than 2.7.
My sticks actually like 2.6 stock volts @ 282 mhz. The only time I needed 2.72 volts was OC'ing from 286 to 290 mhz. Samsung UCCC has a tendency to like lower voltages.

Cheers.
Dom

Back