• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming/Music/Movies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stavros

So I upgraded and wanted to try out onboard sound. I gotta say I'm not impressed. My old computer had a Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, but for whatever reason when I upgraded it just stopped working. I re-installed at least 7 times. That and I've had people tell me my mic is quiet even with volume turned up. I had to boost mic by +10 decibels and now I get an audible hiss in the background. So I've been looking for sound cards.

My brother got a Xonar DS. I've been looking at the DX, but I'm not sure. I've heard amazing things about the Xonar Essence (which apparently specializes in stereo), but I'm not sure if my Audio-Technica ATH AD700 would be good enough for it. That and the high price have somewhat scared me off. Other than that I'm not even sure what to look at.

I bought a Xonar D2X a couple months ago for about half price from a forum member and I am loving it. After downloading the correct drivers, the gaming experience is actually really great (some say the ASUS cards aren't for gaming but I disagree), and the music and movies really come alive compared to onboard audio. I use a 5.1 headset and I can actually hear surround separation with this soundcard as opposed to onboard.

I am sure you would be happy with a DX or see if you can find someone who is selling a D2X or Essence anywhere on the forums for cheap.

I'd cuddle my Xonar STX at night if not for the ESD I'd produce.
Dude--- it uses it's own MOLEX to make sure it won't pick up noise from using the power over the PCI-E slot. How mental is that?
Plus it has a little tiger on it.

When they come out for a synonym for 'wicked' that describes it better, I'll get back to you...
Or check back at Webster's often. But yes, buy it.

5/1 she no do so hot. Stereo.... frickin great.

I know it's been a while and I've put this on the back burner to try and make a passive decision. I've narrowed it down to two: Xonar STX and Auzentech Forte. I've heard a pros and cons about both and neither seem to be significantly better than the other.

Recently I broke my SATA connector for my Storage drive and had to buy a new one which means I've "lost" all my backed up movies, video games and music. I still have the hard drive but WD doesn't cover broken connectors which means I'd have to spend about $1000 that I i don't have to recover it. So that basically means I'm using my soundcard for video games.

I know it's been a while and I've put this on the back burner to try and make a passive decision. I've narrowed it down to two: Xonar STX and Auzentech Forte. I've heard a pros and cons about both and neither seem to be significantly better than the other.

The two are completely different. Once concentrates on stereo analog sound quality and signal to noise ratio reduction and tonality. The other has hardware EAX and multichannel support via analog.

The STX is best used with a pair of good headphones. That's the main purpose behind it. If you go Auzen I'd get the Meridian II over the Forte. No EAX but what game even uses it any more? Much better sound IMO.

Overclock your 580GTX btw. They usually do 880 on stock voltage.

I have the STX, its amazingly awesome headphone amp /2 channel speaker card. Do you have an available pci (not pcie) slot, you should consider the xonar essence ST, with an add on, it can output 7.1 analog sound too. Xonar Essence St also has some some clock feature that is supposed to improve on the STX.

When I bought my card, the ST didn't exist. I too considered the Forte or the STX.

Based on reviews, the forte is supposed to be an amazing gaming surround card with a creative core chip, but that is where the similarities end. It is supposed to have great driver support and enhanced performance over creatives own line. They basically liscensed creative's hardware and improved on everything else. If it matters, the forte is supposed to give better framerates by lessening processor load moreso than the essence.

I usually use my headphones more than anything so I opted for the Xonar Essence STX headphone amp card.

Difference between the two if you cant tell should go to auzentech. Creative is a terrible company that does not support their products past inception and drivers do not usually include the software that comes with it. Which means do not fully support the device or pirate the software.

In both cases you are pooched though. who want 3-5 extra process running just to get decent sound? Not me for sure.. Rather have the driver and one other app that handles it.

Creative is on my poo list. I would take Auzentech (without knowing) any day of the week, just because it isn't creative.

IIRC, auzentech cards will support all that creative mumbo jumbo without hte software requirements though. (xfi) so who cares?

Back