• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gdisk or Fdisk- which one to use to reformat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Poopshoot

Registered
Hey, I was wondering how to use these. I upgraded from old 754 socket and now have 939 so i had to get all these new drivers, but they caused all types of problems! I was told just to reformat my hard drive an reload windows xp. I read the sticky about it but i still dont get it. Do i make a disk? or can i use my windows cd?
Please help a man reformat his drive and knowledge.

Nice system. I got my fdisk from bootdisk.com. You can make it from your OS disk, but it was easier for me to just D/L it from bootdisk.com. Scroll down the page until you see the section on partitioning it is the first link under that heading. It is under partitioning because you can use it to wipe everything off of your hdd and/or to partition it.

NP, I am glad to help. Finally instead of me constantly asking ?'s now I am able to help other :)

although w/fdisk you can change partitions, cant you just format the drive though the xp cd??

i can but i need to delete everything off my hard drive first. and create a new partition then format then i will load up xp.

Yeah you can just pop in the XP CD and format (Fat32 or NFTS) like that. I usually use fdisk so I know I am starting with a clean slate.

Unless you wanna do a low level format... save yourself some time and do it through the xp cd.

Back