• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting data back dohhh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imposter

:bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head ::bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :
NOWW since i got that outta my system. it looks like i formated the wrong drive.

should i just run get data back/ r-studio demo to get my data back?

windows says "this drive is not formated do you wanna format now"

Absolutely, both are quality products. I use R-studio, but other prefer Get Data Back.

Do not initialize or format...

is the demo acceptable? also do i need to scan first? or what. (im using r-studio atm)

percent chance of getting back what i need??

thanks a bunch!

:edit:

R-Studio should work fine. I've recovered data from deleted partitions and reformatted drives twice so far. That data was worth every penny of the $80 I paid and more. Now I have my copy for life :D

However...
DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THAT DRIVE or you'll overwrite and destroy data.

Download R-Studio demo and try it out. If it works, you'll have to buy it to recover the data but at least you get to try first to see if it works.

BTW you need to have a created partition for R-Studio to work well or you get weird folder hierarchy issues and it's a hassle to sort out with the meta data cryptic names.

Last edited:
Well my friend had a copy of O&o disk recovery that i am using right now to get data back with. Its 50 percent right now, though before with other programs, I smelt some some. I have no idea if this is dust or anything. windows crashed 3-4 times while doing this. I took the Hdd out of its tight space and no problems now. Do you think pressure has any affect on the drive?. i had to force the drive in the hdd slot to fit..

thanks

Smoke = AHHH

something letting out the magic smoke?

ehh O&o Did nothing, get data back freezes everytime i run it...

perhaps you should know what i did to the drive....

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=510212

everything that was suppose to done to the drive i did to the hard drive!(except copy over the data, that i did correctly.)

any ideas?
imp
edit: windows doesn't even show the size of the hard drive....

Last edited:
I (rather it was a program error) did a quick format on the wrong HDD. I used GetDataBack for NTFS and it works as advertised. AFIAK I got all the data back that I was missing. Really, that's the only program I've used for a serious data recovery project. Interested in more info about that program that you may not have already? PM me.

Audioaficionado said:
What happened with the R-Studio demo?

The drive in question has been partitioned?

I did a scan with R-studio, but 90 percent of the way i smelt smoke so i shut it off. Maybe hard drive is dying????

I am in school right now so i can't try anything, ill be home around 4:30.

Yeah you got to create a partition first and then R-Studio will be able to access it.

You don't want to format it, but I've saved stuff off of reformatted drives too.

The reason is that if it's formatted, it could get something written to it.

Well i am getting some files back right now though it has weird file names, how should i go about partitioning the drive? partition magic?

What operating system is on the computer that drive is hooked up to?

If it's XP or Windows 2000 you can just do it from the Control panel/Administrative tools/Computer management/disk management partition format tools.

Audioaficionado said:
What operating system is on the computer that drive is hooked up to?

If it's XP or Windows 2000 you can just do it from the Control panel/Administrative tools/Computer management/disk management partition format tools.
I have a partition but it doesn't mention what kind of partition, and i can't view the drive. it asks me to format the drive if i wanna view it..

Im looking through their FAQ.

I have no idea why it is showing fat partitions when i always had NTFS....

ideas, do you need a screen shot?

Oh great success i think i found it. Though what options am i suppose to use to get the data back? like restore meta files, hidden attributes. what should i check off? thanks!

Back