• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H- AM3+ support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Over_G

Registered
I went to Gigabyte's site for BIOS/driver updates and had seen they have a new revision of the board. Updated REV. 3.1 supports AMD AM3+.
Makes me wish I would've waited for something like this one,lol. :bang head

Yeah, but who could know GB would do that for that board? If we always waited for the next better thing to come out we would never buy.

Yeah, but who could know GB would do that for that board? If we always waited for the next better thing to come out we would never buy.

True,I suppose.

What surprised me was that GB took a existing board and got something totally new to work with it. My assumption was new CPU architecture= new mb's.

It was pretty iffy there for awhile with the possibility Bulldozer would run in AM3 - but they decided against that approach for reasons unknown, except to say it would limit the chip in some ways. Without knowing what those ways are it's hard to speculate what kind of changes are needed to make an AM3 board into AM3+, other than the socket, of course. It's been rumored that AM3 CPUs will run in AM3+ sockets so, if true, there's no reason for board manufacturers to wait any longer than they have to ...

Back