• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3 OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
My old machine has the title mainboard and a 2600K CPU. You can see the rest of the stats in my sig. I'm having trouble getting the OC to stick, or so it seems.

It will run 4.6GHz all day on pretty low volts, and 4.0-4.2 on stock volts. I've gone into the bios multiple times and set my OC settings, F10 and restart. When it POSTs, it shows 4.6 or whatever else I set it to just fine. It boots into Windows, and when I turn on CPUZ and HWInfo64, both report the stock clock of 3.4GHz. The voltage settings stick, though. About the only thing I haven't done is fully reset the bios.

My old machine has the title mainboard and a 2600K CPU. You can see the rest of the stats in my sig. I'm having trouble getting the OC to stick, or so it seems.

It will run 4.6GHz all day on pretty low volts, and 4.0-4.2 on stock volts. I've gone into the bios multiple times and set my OC settings, F10 and restart. When it POSTs, it shows 4.6 or whatever else I set it to just fine. It boots into Windows, and when I turn on CPUZ and HWInfo64, both report the stock clock of 3.4GHz. The voltage settings stick, though. About the only thing I haven't done is fully reset the bios.

you disable power saving functions? see if the frequency changes under load.

When under load does it ramp up?

Tried a new CMOS battery? Updating/reinstalling the BIOS?

Clocks don't budge on load. Haven't idled it yet.

I might have to completely clear the CMOS. I think I recently replaced the battery but will check it for good measure. Feels like the bios is glitching on me or something silly.

CMOS battery is good. Manually cleared the BIOS, and now it won't even boot! Perpetual restart loop. I really have hated this board for OC'ing. It really is poop.

Are you on the latest BIOS? If not, do so. If so, reflash. If that doesn't work, try a previous BIOS. It worked well in the review and Witchy has had good luck. Hopefully its PEBKAC and not a bad board.

Finally got it to POST and reset all the settings to optimum. Still no up clock, but it's still over-volting like I wanted.

It's on the latest F10 bios (2012). I may go back to F9. This still doesn't make sense, but I'll mess with it more tonight. I would rather it be PEBKAC.

Oh geez.. ignore me.. I thought it was the AORUS master... lol

But the advice is still good! :)

Nah, the Master is freaking sweet to play with. Very forgiving. GB learned their lessons on bios and stability it seems.

Downgraded the Z68 from the F10 bios to F9. Changed all my settings and all stick except the OC. I really don't get it. I can try to post screen caps of each OC related screen later.

Just to make sure were on the same page, you enabled "turbo boost technology" right?

Workaround... but try enabling OC in Realtime, and see if you can raise it via the boards windows software.

Also, try enabling all power saving states and see if that helps.

check the temp of the cpu, if it is reading high- the mobo can stock turbo multis and even down clock to try and manage temps

Decided to take another crack at this. Replaced the bios battery (still read 2.9V but these button batteries can be sensitive). Down to two 2GB sticks of old DDR3 since I'm loaning the 32GB kit to my brother. GTX1660 Super card. No more reboot loops since swapping the battery. Flashed to F10 bios, no booting issues at all. XMP works fine. Now on the F11a unofficial bios with same positive results.

Still running into the no overclocking issue. Maybe I'll kick it down to F8 or F7 bios and see what happens.

Fun note:
Prime 95 stress testing non-AVX is 48C load at a CPU package power of 65W and all fans at 5V.
AVX: 53C, 80W load. 48C with fans on 12V.

What an overkill cooling setup for less than 100W of power......I could probably get nearly the same temps with a single 120 or 140mm radiator and even less noise.

Back