• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3 OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very interesting how changing the CMOS battery fixed those issues. Don't think I've seen that before. Usually, a bad CMOS battery just causes the inability to retain custom bios settings, date, time, things like that.

Very interesting how changing the CMOS battery fixed those issues. Don't think I've seen that before. Usually, a bad CMOS battery just causes the inability to retain custom bios settings, date, time, things like that.
Just an FYI:
Not true at all. Been a problem for decades on certain boards and platforms. Specifically, Abit and DFI boards.
CMOS battery gets below about 2.7v and everything gets glitchy.
Any Abit board that has Uguru on it is extremely susceptible.

EDIT- Sorry I cannot help you Rufus. You've covered everything that I would.
Best guess is the board is getting ready to sh1t the bed.

Last edited:
I'll try all the other bioses. If that fails, I'm inclined to agree with Mr. Scott that the board is getting tired.

One of the changelog updates to the later bioses was a "boot fix". Wonder if that has to do with the reboot loops.

Ok, I'm officially done trying to play retro hot rodder.

Lessons learned: Swap your CMOS batteries! Not a single boot error since changing it. Makes me wonder if the battery was junk from when it was new.

Still won't OC, on any bios I have access to.

I did load up another 2x2GB set of ram. DDR3-17000, mixed with the DDR3-10600. Both are Crucial kits, and amazingly it runs fine together even with the memory set to XMP profiles. 8GB of ram will be good enough for what this thing is tasked for as a workbench web video and browsing rig.

So, it's retired from OC duty, but it will still have life. And I've put to use all remaining idled hardware.

FWIW, I've gotten junk batteries brand new right out of the package. God knows how long these sit on the shelves.

My old machine has the title mainboard and a 2600K CPU. You can see the rest of the stats in my sig. I'm having trouble getting the OC to stick, or so it seems.

It will run 4.6GHz all day on pretty low volts, and 4.0-4.2 on stock volts. I've gone into the bios multiple times and set my OC settings, F10 and restart. When it POSTs, it shows 4.6 or whatever else I set it to just fine. It boots into Windows, and when I turn on CPUZ and HWInfo64, both report the stock clock of 3.4GHz. The voltage settings stick, though. About the only thing I haven't done is fully reset the bios.

Hey, not sure if you were still trying to resolve this issue.
I ran into this issue after I updated to the f10 BIOS where I could not bring my overclock above 3.8 on my 2600k, almost as if it was treating it like a non k processor.
Prior to updating the BIOS I could run no issues what so ever at 4.3Ghz with just auto voltages.
I resolved this by flashing back to the original f6 BIOS that I made a back up of prior to the flash.

Thanks Glabage. I suppose I could try it. The machine isn't seeing a lot of use now (web browsing rig in my project room), but if I can make it run fast for fun I will.

I had the issue twice on both Asrock and Asus boards (z77 and p68 IIRC, almost 10 years ago...).

The multi was not holding from bios to Windows, back to stock.

Both times , the bios chip were borked. Thewywere swappable I n both boards (not soldered).

Ordered new ones on eBay and problem solved. Might be worth the 10 bucks try...

Edit: it used to be not such an uncommon issue with those platforms back in the days.

Back