• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Deal on a Dual Opty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Will the price of conroes and am2, when they are first released, drive prices down for the opterons. Or should I upgrade now. I am not looking to wait and buy the first batch of new processors.

Rydis said:
Will the price of conroes and am2, when they are first released, drive prices down for the opterons. Or should I upgrade now. I am not looking to wait and buy the first batch of new processors.

if you are going to be building a new system (new mobo, cpu and RAM) then I would suggest you wait and get AM2, but if you are only upgrading your cpu there is no reason to wait. At launch there will not be any significant performance increase over socket 939.

I dont want a am2 or a conroe. I am looking to build a new system completly, yes. However, I am fine with paying for a last generation setup then more for one in which I dont think the cost justifies the performance. Thats why I ask, will the prices of opterons drop with am2 and conroe hit the market?

Rydis said:
I dont want a am2 or a conroe. I am looking to build a new system completly, yes. However, I am fine with paying for a last generation setup then more for one in which I dont think the cost justifies the performance. Thats why I ask, will the prices of opterons drop with am2 and conroe hit the market?

well... i don't think they will drop significantly at all. Because production will slow (already has... and they have already dropped some socket 939 cpus) so there will be fewer so demand will rise. In the end I think it'll probably be a wash.

to be fair, I have heard people predict both ways...

Back