• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hands up Dtek WW bad base owners?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have you all said somthing to them about it? Cuz that would be a lot more productive than just complaining (not to be mean but thats pretty much what it is, though its justified) about it... Or you could just e-mail em' this thread...

I complained; used my divine powers and massive Godlike reputation to have them replace it with a new WW. The second one was BARELY better. I'd love to know which zoo licenses the use of their monkey population for Dteks lapping jobs.

CrashOveride said:
Have you all said somthing to them about it? Cuz that would be a lot more productive than just complaining (not to be mean but thats pretty much what it is, though its justified) about it... Or you could just e-mail em' this thread...

Nothing can be done after attempting to lap it.

well, i just got my lapping kit from www.easypckits.com and i'll post some pics when i lap it. thanks for the link again, the kit looks like some very good quality stuff. he even sent me free cable ties!

EDIT:
here are some of the lapped pics

blocklapped.jpg

blocklapped1.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, I have spoken to Danny (seems I do so on a regular basis) yesterday. He is aware of the base problem and is now lapping each one himself on his lapping machine. No help for those of you with some bad bases, but he does listen to you guys! He is fixing the problem. The other thing you guys MUST understand about the WW is that (NeoMoses) yes the copper stock is pretty flat when raw, but, machining the fine channels really heats up the block, and as the block is so thin, they can become concave, convex and even warp from this process. Nothing you can do about that, and many blocks end up in the trash because of it.

Also, if you lap your WW, make sure not to get it too hot doing so, if you do, this could warp the base. Definately use water on the paper and go slow. Machine marks are far less of a problem (unless severe) than a convex/concave base.

Nice lap job there :)

Oh and nikhsub, what's yer recommended method of lapping? I've lapped several blocks and have tried the figure 8's as well as using a single stroke in 1 direction many times then rotating the block. I don't have any accurate measuring equipment so I don't really know which one works the best. What's yer take on that?

SoulEdge said:
Nice lap job there :)

Oh and nikhsub, what's yer recommended method of lapping? I've lapped several blocks and have tried the figure 8's as well as using a single stroke in 1 direction many times then rotating the block. I don't have any accurate measuring equipment so I don't really know which one works the best. What's yer take on that?
I have a huge an heavy (about 1500 lbs) living room table made of granite that is very flat and smooth. That is my lapping table :D Anyway, what I do is i take a sharpie and draw about 7 lines lengthwise down the block. I then usually start with 400 grit paper and i use it wet. I like to go back and forth lengthwise. I turn the block 180 degrees every few minutes or so. Once you start lapping, check the bottom of the block. You will see where there are low spots and high spots :D Never push down hard on the block at all, I usually let the weight of the block be all the downward pressure on it. Take your time. Anything over 600 grit is pretty much a waste of time.

Cool, I have a 10lb sheet of glass that is actually the shelf to a living room entertainment center but is not being used. I just tape my sandpaper down to that, throw some water on and lap away. :)

nikhsub1 said:

Also, if you lap your WW, make sure not to get it too hot doing so, if you do, this could warp the base. Definately use water on the paper and go slow. Machine marks are far less of a problem (unless severe) than a convex/concave base.

I think the heat from the cpu is far more than any heat generated by lapping.

Mine was convex by the way. Used 600/1000/1500 to get it clean.

the first D-tek TC4 v2 block I have came with descent base. Slightly rough, but not bad. So I lapped it.

the second D-tek TC4 v2 block I got recently had horrible base. Sorta F,ucked up base. Some good lapping was needed. It's good now. The performance of these blocks are superb.

awww, c'mon now, there's no need to speak like that.... I can recommend many different ways to say the base finish was bad if you've come up short. :)

Anyway, I'm glad that DTek has taken this to heart and is trying to fix the problem.

Back