• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

have 8 gigs, only 4 gigs usable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Strange. It appears like you are running 32 bit, but it clearly says 64 bit on there as well.

Run a memtest on your ram, and verify through performance monitor you actually only have 3.96gb (odd number o_O) available. Also check your bios settings and verify.

For solutions, you can try a few things

1) resetting your cmos on your bios and reseating your ram
2) run "msconfig" goto "boot" and click "advanced". Then there will be a memory box, check that and select 8gb.
3) test each stick in each slot to verify proper operation of all your dimms
4) worse comes to worse, its either your RAM, OS, Bios, or motherboard. Should be easy to narrow down.

OK cool, goto msconfig and try out that ram selection then.

edit: what is your ram btw?

Time to do the one stick at a time testing then.

sorry for late reply. as I was doing this..my power supply stopped working. So had to run and buy another..guess what..wasn't working either. Kept power cycling on and off.

I believe 2 of the ram slots are bad. If I plug either ram stick into them..it just power cycles on and off, if I plug one into #3..both come up turn and boot fine and say 4 GB. if I had one if the good one and either one in one of the others, it boots, says I have 8 gigs..but only 4 usuable.

kinda irritated I just wasted 100 dollars on a power supply I didn't need now

and newegg..they haven't sent me anything in the past 2 years that has worked correctly without returning it at least ones :/

You very much can :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...3607042&entryURLID=cat12098&entryURLType=page

14-Day Return Period
Fourteen days from the date merchandise was received, refunds are available on computers, monitors, notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, and radar detectors.

can this mobo issue cause it to not power on at all? I mean it had the same syptoms of this PSU at first before I got ram working in 1 slot..but after a while..it just stopped powering on all together

can this mobo issue cause it to not power on at all? I mean it had the same syptoms of this PSU at first before I got ram working in 1 slot..but after a while..it just stopped powering on all together

Absolutely.

What's your old psu anyway? I bricked a 990fx fatl1ty when my psu died.... luckily only took out the mobo!

When my m5a97 died, it progressively got worse, it didn't just "die". If you've been noticing problems, it may be indicative of tjis.

When my m5a97 died, it progressively got worse, it didn't just "die". If you've been noticing problems, it may be indicative of tjis.

well I had 0 issues with it till today. Its an antec 550w basiq.

just figured id asked before removing again to test

Just one experience. My 990fx failed in catastrophic fashion and there was no question what caused it.

blah newegg doesn't sell the same board with free 2 day shipping..hmm

actually..nothing on shoprunner is working there anymore..wtf ;?

Back