• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haven't built one in a while. Would appreciate suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

So I haven't built a new system in about 4 years and I think it's time for a new gaming/VR system to replace my 4770K-based system. I already have a 1080Ti so I putzed around on Amazon this morning to look at some parts and this is what I came up with. Could use a review to make sure I didn't make any mistakes with incompatible parts, etc. Would appreciate some feedback on alternative parts as well. I'm not against building an AMD-based system, I'm just unsure if the memory/BIOS issues are completely resolved. I'm open to AMD suggestions but if you do make the recommendation I would appreciate it if you could recommend known-working combinations which don't require BIOS updates/tweaking just so it boots and functions as it's supposed to.

Last edited by a moderator:
it looks good except that your case doesnt look to have anywhere for your dvd drive.

it looks good except that your case doesnt look to have anywhere for your dvd drive.

Nice catch. I'll probably use the DVD drive just long enough to load the OS and then ditch it.

i had to grab an external drive for mine. it was only like $20 or so. that way you can install from discs if you need to later on down the line.

i had to grab an external drive for mine. it was only like $20 or so. that way you can install from discs if you need to later on down the line.

This^

You will find that from time to time you will still need a cd/dvd drive for this and that.

Last edited:
I made a few changes after doing some thinking about the Intel flaw posted in another thread.

The following is 69cents more expensive than the configuration in the O.P. Hope I can swing the difference, lol. I'm hoping to order the items and time it so that all the parts are in 1 order and it all arrives Saturday.

ryzensys.jpg

I'd recommend against using Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 on a Ryzen build. All my X370 and B350 motherboards had issues with it. It worked fine in Intel Z370 builds though. Get some G.Skill DDR4-3200 CL 14 Samsung B-Die instead. Too bad you ditched the Carbide clear. Here's what my Ryzen 7 1700x system with the Corsair H100 looks like.

Ryzen1700X-System.JPG

I made a few changes after doing some thinking about the Intel flaw posted in another thread.

The following is 69cents more expensive than the configuration in the O.P. Hope I can swing the difference, lol. I'm hoping to order the items and time it so that all the parts are in 1 order and it all arrives Saturday.

View attachment 195738

AMD is going to be releasing a Ryzen refresh in a couple of months which should offer up a bit more than current CPUs if you can hold off that long

AMD is going to be releasing a Ryzen refresh in a couple of months which should offer up a bit more than current CPUs if you can hold off that long

Well...I think I can hold off a couple months, if it's just a couple-to-three months.

I have been having some odd issues with the 4770 system where, suddenly, the graphics just stop. Lots of crashes of the NVidia drivers, and the screen just blanks out and the monitor loses signal. I'm pretty sure it's due to the Oculus Rift and the 4k monitor not playing well together on the pascal Titan due to the lack of multiple HDMI connectors so I'm going to separate them by having one system for the Rift and general surfing/HTPC/3D design/printing stuff and use the Ryzen as my main P.O.E. gaming machine.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd recommend against using Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 on a Ryzen build. All my X370 and B350 motherboards had issues with it. It worked fine in Intel Z370 builds though. Get some G.Skill DDR4-3200 CL 14 Samsung B-Die instead. Too bad you ditched the Carbide clear. Here's what my Ryzen 7 1700x system with the Corsair H100 looks like.

Thanks for the information on the RAM! I picked the Corsair stuff because it was on the Asrock compatibility list but didn't know there were still issues with that particular type of DIMM on the X370. You saved me some headaches, for sure!

Johan says there's going to be an update/refresh of the Ryzens soon so I think I may wait on that before pulling the trigger. I do really like that Carbide case so I may go back to it...kinda waffling between the two cases. Your cooler uses 240mm radiator, right? (just checkinig to make sure it fits well in the carbide case and doesn't interfere with the RAM.)

Since the problem with my old system losing video signal has persisted I've decided to purchase a cheaper Ryzen (maybe a 1600X) so I can build the system now and move my VR/HTPC stuff over to it and then purchase a refreshed Ryzen CPU with my Tax refund this year.

Back