• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Headphones ~50$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mean_dm

So funny story. I was listening to my Skullcandy headphones when I was attacked a mad beast (poodle) that came literally out of no where!

Long story short, my headphones broke and now I've been forced to buy new cans.

I'm not much of an audiophile, the Skullcandy headphones were a gift. I've been doing a little research over the past couple of days and have a few options that I was looking at.

I'll be on campus for quite a while, so I've got to have a decent pair to listen to my music... and possibly get attacked by another vicious animal... perhaps a squirrel this time.

Anywho. Here's what I was looking for:

Circumaural: Very important. I can't do earbuds for too long before they all become very uncomfortable (It's not the sound volume either, they just start feeling odd)

Isolation: I don't want to bug people with my music or gaming.

Music: I listen to a wide range of music, but mostly hardcore, trailer music, Opera, and a little Baroque.

Cord Length: Longer than 4ft. I'll be using these everywhere I go, even at home, and I find 4ft just doesn't cut it length-wise.

Durability: That's the whole point of researching all this before I go out and buy a set of cans... I want them to last me a while.

Budget: 70$ is my absolute max.

Aesthetics: Not really THAT important to me... but I'd rather not walk around with pink headphones, :D.

So with all that, I've been looking at these headphones:

Philips CityScape Uptown:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHL59...e=UTF8&qid=1376631521&sr=1-1&keywords=uptowns

Sennheiser HD 419:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...376631666&sr=1-3&keywords=senhizer+headphones

Sennheiser HD 429:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...376631666&sr=1-5&keywords=senhizer+headphones

If you guys can add any recommendations, that'd be great... or out of these which is the better option in your opinion? I am leaning toward the 429 because I've heard the Uptown's cable is a little flimsy.

Creative Aurvana Live!

Unfortunately, at $80 they are just out of your price range...but they are amazing. However, they are not too terribly durable, and do not fold (can't safely carry them in your backpack). Professional review (search for "Aurvana").

EDIT: These Panasonics are also very highly rated.

Other possibilities:
Koss Pro DJ100
Sony MDR-V6
Superlux HD668B

EDITED EDIT: I own both the Aurvanas and the Panasonics I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! I had just found out about the Sony MDR-V6's and was looking around for those as cheap as I could and was about to buy them when I saw your post. I started looking at the Panasonics you suggested and couldn't find anyone saying anything bad about them. Found them for $28 so I snagged them. You saved me $40, and as a college guy, I appreciate that.

Back