• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat Pipe question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seabee

So I have an Asus Crosshair IV Formula and as many may know they have notoriously had issues with NB heat. I originally had a 'good' version with no heat issues but had to get another due to some damage when I shipped it over seas. Of course, karma struck me and the 'new' one had the issues. So I replaced the stands offs of the new board with the old as I had read that that was the issue when it came to NB heating issues. Unfortunately that didn't seem to help since I will often get temps of 55c while gaming, it will even hit 60c from time to time, this is with the entire system at stock speeds so I can't even consider OCing as I am sure my temps will soar.

Looking at the stock heat sink it looks like a bad design to me, as they attached blocks to the bottom to make contact with the NB and SB rather than the heat sink sitting directly in contact. So I am looking at putting some heat sinks that I 'salvaged' from another board onto the NB and SB via arctic thermal adhesive since the mounting holes don't line up with the MB. My main concern though is that I don't have a replacement solution for the VRMs that the stock heat sinks covers. So I am looking to crimp the heatpipe that goes from the VRM heat sink to the NB heat sink, which also continues to the SB heat sink, and then make a cut to allow the new sinks to sit in place. Will this work or will it completely bork the heat sink's ability to cool my VRM?

This is the stock heat sink-

25160258882l.jpg

-Seabee

If you're actually talking about the NB it can handle some high temps. Is this a new case with the new card. I ask because the AMD cards pump out a llot of heat? As for the heat pipe no it won't work after you cut it. There are alternatives such as more air circulation and fans directly on the HS itself

The case is a Coolermater AMD 932 HAF, which has excellent airflow. Whether I have 1 card in or both cards installed doesn't seem to make a difference on the temps. Also I have a 30-40mm fan attached directly over the NB portion of the HS.

Just for clarification, even if I crimp the heatpipe therefore sealing the gas inside the VRM part of the heat sink prior to cutting, it won't work?

-Seabee

Alright, that changes my entire thought process about heat pipes. I thought it was gases that transmitted the heat throughout to help dissipate heat.

Alright then, given this is what that heat sink currently cools:

vrm.jpg

Would it be enough to put 6.5x6.5mm heat sinks on(about 19 if I counted correctly) and leave the smaller components un-cooled?

-Seabee

Last edited:
Have you tried mounting small fans directly on the heatsinks. I put a 80mm fan directly on the Vrm/Nb of my CHV and it makes a pretty big difference.

Yes, I currently have a 40mm fan sitting directly over the NB, it definitely helps.

-Seabee

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify, I am only getting 'high' temps on the NB and SB. This board outputs 3 measurements when it comes to the MB. NB, SB and MB, they typically sit at 55c, 47c and 32c respectively. I am not sure where on the board the MB temp comes from though.

-Seabee

Back