• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help a newbie choose a z170 motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maybe. Sometimes they only give you one number....so who knows.

For this board, I haven't run across a review yet that split it into 3 values. I've seen 8+2 and 10 phase.

I agree who knows. I have been trying to figure out for months how many out of 7 phases are for my cores on my GA board 4+2+1 it seems correct. However when I check on a board with 4 chokes I get 3 + 1 + 1 total.:shrug:

Don't concern your self with phases on Intel when overclocking on ambient cooling, My 6 phase budget Gigabyte Z170 HD3 does fine at 4.5GHz.

I like Gigabyte the Bios is easy to work with and when it won't boot up do to a incorrect overclock settings the board will boot back into Bios default Automatically so folks can make changes. I would go for GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming.

While that's true it's less true now than it was with Haswell and Broadwell (if anybody actually has one of those for desktop) now that FIVR is no longer a CPU package component.
I also wouldn't take that advice to the extreme and OC a 6700K on a 3 phase board with no heatsinks on it.

While that's true it's less true now than it was with Haswell and Broadwell (if anybody actually has one of those for desktop) now that FIVR is no longer a CPU package component.
I also wouldn't take that advice to the extreme and OC a 6700K on a 3 phase board with no heatsinks on it.

What Z170 motherboard has less than 6 Phases? All Z170 boards are made for overclocking and have over-current protection built in.

Most boards don't need vrm heatsinks but it looks better with them. Power section is usually designed to handle higher temps like 100*C+ ( of course not recommended to run it 24/7 like that ). I was using Z170 OCF without heatsinks and the same with MSI Z170 board. No issues with stability. Usually less phases = higher load on each of them and higher temps but it's not a rule as used components are not always the same.
Couple of years ago there were 3 phase LGA775 motherboards without heatsinks which could easily handle 100W CPUs. Now TDP isn't higher but all worry about overheating vrm. I can agree that heatsinks are required but on 990FX or X99 boards where CPU wattage is much higher, not on 1151 boards with CPUs below 90W.
It's other story when you overclock your CPU at much higher voltage but most users are not overclocking their CPUs and most who do rather stick to lower clocks. On OCF those who are showing OC results are usually more advanced users but it's only low % of all users ( even gamers ).
All that flashy design and 20+ phases are usually only so products sell better but it's almost never requirement to keep stability even after OC. There were 24 phase gigabyte boards which were overclocking as good as 8 phase competitive products ... but they tested it can handle 2000W ...

Just found this thread because I'm currently looking for a good mobo running 6600K i7.

I find it pretty hard to chose on newegg based on reviews because it seems like EVERY decent mobo out there have issues. Dead SATA, Audio chip doing problems, etc. etc. etc... I just can't find a motherboard that seems to have 95% + satisfaction!!

I'm starting to think that most happy customers just dont bother posting a good review and the radio happy/unhappy is clearly not a good representation of whats going on.

As an example, someone here mentionned doing 3 successful build with ASRock Extreme6. Some comments read about this board :

1- I've had to ship back two of these boards now that were DOA
2- Issue with SATA ports.
3- Audio has input lag
4- It won't POST. Dead once it got here
5- Only worked for 3 months until SATA controller took a dump

And so on....

Give me a board I should buy !!!!

90% of newegg reviews (even from so called "reviewers" there) are jokes. They can't tell a hole in the ground from a hole on their backside. It really is good for checking DOA.

Remember, you will ALWAYS hear/see about the bad, rarely about the good/working. If you look at ANY board, chances are you will see things wrong with it. It happens. The reality is however, that most are just fine, including the ones we mentioned here. I wont list more boards only to have newegg comments thrown back in response.

Last edited:
I can say that these boards are good but I have some other needs than the average user:
ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger/Gene/Hero/Impact
ASRock Z170 OC Formula / Z170M OC Formula / ASRock Z170 Gaming ITX ( this one was stable etc but costs more and overclocks worse than MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC )
MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC, MSI Z170M Mortar ( cheaper but I had no issues at all )

Probably above list won't help you much but it's what I was testing for longer and I can recommend.

I had some issues with Gigabyte after Z170 release so I'm not recommending them but it seems they fixed most issues and many users say that new Gigabyte boards are good.

90% of newegg reviews (even from so called "reviewers" there) are jokes. They can't tell a hole in the ground from a hole on their backside. It really is good for checking DOA.

Remember, you will ALWAYS here/see about the bad, rarely about the good/working. If you look at ANY board, chances are you will see things wrong with it. It happens. The reality is however, that most are just fine, including the ones we mentioned here. I wont list more boards only to have newegg comments thrown back in response.

I get your point. I'm actually giving good credits to a builder like you having success 3 times with the same board. I'll consider it myself.

The board I was about to purchase what this one :

GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0)

Trying to replace my 8 years old i7 920 with a new build. I'll keep reading.

A very solid board... so is the MSI Gaming M5/M7, so is ASRock's line, and so are ASUS' line. Really, I would pick one in the $160-$220 price range that has the features you need, the look you want, and fits in your budget. Each one of those boards has the same chance to die as any other. Don't make it hard than it is. :)

On the Z170 platform, I've built one with a AS Rock Extreme 6+ and one with the Gigabyte Gaming 7. I'd recommend either of those without question. I preferred the UEFI layout of the ASRock, but the look of the Gaming 7. Both are solid boards and both companies have great customer service if anything does happen to go wrong.
I've also built a few ASRock, Gigabyte, and Asus skylake builds on other chipsets with no issues at all. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the big name boards.

Just found this thread because I'm currently looking for a good mobo running 6600K i7.

I find it pretty hard to chose on newegg based on reviews because it seems like EVERY decent mobo out there have issues. Dead SATA, Audio chip doing problems, etc. etc. etc... I just can't find a motherboard that seems to have 95% + satisfaction!!

I'm starting to think that most happy customers just dont bother posting a good review and the radio happy/unhappy is clearly not a good representation of whats going on.

As an example, someone here mentionned doing 3 successful build with ASRock Extreme6. Some comments read about this board :

3- Audio has input lag

And so on....

Here on the forums the number one problem is motherboards, when folks have trouble with there Rigs. So most what you read is probably true, it is the luck of the draw when you buy a motherboard. So look for reviews with consistent problems and avoid them.

3- Audio has input lag

And so on....

Oh my gosh, I know what you mean. Every time I would read about a board that had great reviews, I would then go check it out on Newegg and it would have like 2 stars. It's confusing for sure, especially if you're a newbie.

But at this point, I think I'm pretty much sold on the Asrock Extreme6. It doesn't just have great reviews and benchmarks, but every time I've mentioned it to someone or mentioned it on a PC building forum, people seem to recommend it over the other boards on my list. So far, I have yet to find someone who thinks this is a bad board (except of course for Newegg lol, but as you said, it's pretty much the same with all decent boards there)

The gaming 7 is a superb board, at least from the reviews I read. So is the MSI Gaming M7. They also have the higher end Asrock OC Formula. Although I haven't researched those much 'cause they're a bit outside my budget.

Back