• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help a newbie Overclock his AMD 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Meh is right. Even if you were to put a fan directly on the back of the socket to help cool it your VRM (TMPIN0) is getting pretty hot too. Sadly I don't see you getting a safe overclock with this set-up.

Don't forget to set your ram back to 1866.

OK well your Core voltage is reaching 1.368v which might be part of the issue. It looked like you were aiming for something like 1.3 so a couple things do you have the ability on that board to set LLC for the CPU? If not then you will need to set the voltage lower since it's overshooting by a lot. This will help your temps.

My mother board does not have a LLC setting. in the bios.
I'll try to set a lower wattage on my cpuV.
What are my options here? Forced watercoooling or new mobo?
If a new mobo is required would you kindly suggest me one?

Water cooling wont help your socket temp, if anything the reduced airflow over that area would make it worse. I would try Johan's suggestion of reducing the vcore and see if you can stay cool and stable for at least 20 mins. Then you will know you have a good stable "stock" starting point. If you're dead set on overclocking my gut tells me you'll need a different board. I know how much that sucks as I've replaced 3 MSI boards in the last 2 years and I have another that I want to replace but my Brother wont let me (it's his after all). It's been a little while since I've researched motherboards, but at the time they were in this order.

1. ASUS Sabertooth 990FX (non gen3)

2. ASRock 990FX Extreme9

3. Can't remember the others.

Correct me if I'm off guys.

I'd put the CrosshairV-z at the top of that list Blaylock.
One other thing you could do is make sure all your case fans are cranked up so you've got some air moving through that case. Blaylock is likely right , if you're getting that hot already your board just might not be up to the task spot cooling on the VRM and back of the board would help some but how much it's hard to say.

vrm fans.jpg

Capturefan.PNG

Good luck Blacksun, you definitely won't be disappointed with the CHV_Z, next will be your cooling. Ha ha ahahaha
I mean you'll have the board and then your cooler will be the next thing holding you back. It's a vicious circle man chasing those big numbers.

Overclocking is not easy, i know that ;)
Quick question, Can this mobo connect my pc to the internet or I need to use an external PCIE wlan antenee, like I am doing now?

If you mean does it have built in wireless then no. It does have a LAN connection on the back panel.

I don't think there is a word that "johan" spoke about fixing one area and finding or then wanting to fix another area of an overclock. Now you "can" spend enough to get to a pretty 'fast' overclock, but my question is about the necessity for such.

How much overclock does it take to just game on a computer? Even an AMD setup? And even if one is now "sure" he must have a better platform such as the mobo, do you have to get the top of the line which has features a gamer will not use?

The Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 with no GEN3 in the name, will do fine and cost less. Give you room to get fans for VRMs and such miscellaneous "extras" that are always needed to run fast.

And if you really plan to game only...then the Asrock 990FX KILLER board would clock that cpu with greater finesse with a few features missing from manual adjustment but do very well for gaming. I mean most of us posting in here are not BSing you at all. It is when we KNOW exactly what you intend that we might be able to make more economical suggstions. All of this post is just me thinking out loud.
RGone...ster.

I'm going with the mobo change.

http://www.amazon.it/Asus-CROSSHAIR...8151603&sr=8-1&keywords=CROSSHAIR+V+FORMULA-Z
^

Shame because i was Saving money for a gtx 980 (In my introduction I didn't state that my PC is 7 months old).

Thank you very much guys, for the help.:)
I will keep in touch and I will post in this topic when I will change my motherboard.

Yes the CHVz is the top dog, but you don't think this is overkill for a gaming / video editing rig? Was thinking he could save $50USD.

You will definitely be good with this one. It does have onboard LAN so you wont need a PCIe one, unless you wanted wireless.

I have my HTPC with the 8320 at 4.5 ( not for much longer) and game on it without issue so far. Mind you I don't play online stuff either.

Something isn't right if you're maxing temps this early at 1.28v. May have to reset your cooler with some new tim.

Edit: your voltages are jumping around quite a bit. Did you disable c6t and cool n quiet?

Edit2: turbo needs to be turned off as well.

1.28 is too low for 8350, should be between 1.325 and 1.425 default

1.28 is too low for 8350, should be between 1.325 and 1.425 default

The "new breed" of FX we've been seeing will run at a much lower voltage than the older ones Zakarro, the FX-8320 I recently picked up will run at 4.5 stable with 1.28v and less than 1.45v for 5.0 so now more than ever voltage is not a very good indicator.

The "new breed" of FX we've been seeing will run at a much lower voltage than the older ones Zakarro, the FX-8320 I recently picked up will run at 4.5 stable with 1.28v and less than 1.45v for 5.0 so now more than ever voltage is not a very good indicator.

U gat at 'ar shett spot on thar mat'e. She be moe an evuh uppen to duh endveedual tuh taste outen hs owned shett. Weall can noe longuh jus be throe out 'em numbuhs fur folks to be use. At be sum ratton 'ar mIsTuH "johan22.5"
Dis be sum RBobertGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzzzz:bang head:bump::temper:

RGone.. you gives my brain muscle hurts...

I keep my 8350 at stock 4GHz (no turbo or any of those fancy power saving settings) at 1.2ish and it does just fine. The only reason when I push her in to 5GHz I set it to 1.5 is so that I have some head room with voltages.

The only reason when I push her in to 5GHz I set it to 1.5 is so that I have some head room with voltages.

I do that add a little voltage thing when I am jumping around from one speed to the next since I am not interested in a crash from too little Vcore. If you have cooling, then 1.5Vcore is not going to hurt crap (we don't think), and I don't care to be undervolted and then have to wade thru a dang crash. Just give 'er some volts to begin with and go.
RGone...ster.

Back