• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help first time oc 1090t on Asrock 990fx Extreme4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madmeatballs

Hi,

well I completely have no experience with over clocking I want to achieve 4.0GHz on my 1090t. My mobo is an Asrock 990FX Extreme4. Just replaced my ram to Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB (2x4GB) 1866mhz(not showing up as 1866). Then using a Corsair A50 CPU Cooler. Anyone who can help me?

Attachments

• CPU.jpg
    CPU.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 470
  • memory.jpg
    memory.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 441
  • SPD.jpg
    SPD.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
No rocket science involved...

Not just a single fish for a meal but Fishing Lessons by "trents" for a lifetime of meals.
With these CPUs you would need to be concerned with and deal with certain things when overclocking:

The first thing would be to download the overclocking software tools: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95.

The next thing to do would be to check core and CPU temps at stock frequencies and voltages to get an idea of how much overclocking headroom you have from a temperature standpoint, which is the main limiting factor.

To check those stock condition temps: Open HWMonitor on your desktop and adjust the slider and frame so you can see the core temps section and the voltage section. Leave it open while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. When that is done, attach a pic of the HWMonitor interface with your next post. To attach a pic, first crop and save the image to disc using Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced Post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon which will load the file browser and upload tool. The rest is obvious.

Next you need to be able to:

1. In bios, first disable: Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E and C6.
2. In Windows Control Panel Power Options configure it to High Performance.

These first two measures should disable all the "green" power saving stuff that cause erratic frequencies and voltages.

Then In bios, you will need to be able to manipulate:
1. CPU core voltage
2. CPU multiplier
3. CPUNB voltage
4. CPUNB frequency (may be expressed as a multiplier)
5. And perhaps, memory voltage

If you can locate those controls in bios you will be off to a good start and we can advise more specifically with regard to their adjustment. The terminology you encounter in the particular bios you are working on may vary somewhat from what I have used so be aware of that.

If you have a CPU with an upward unlocked multiplier, now just start increasing your CPU multiplier by .5x.

After each increase run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to check for stability.

Always have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor core temps. Max stable core temp is typically 55-58c, somewhere in there.

When you first fail the 20 minute Prime blend test, increase your CPU core voltage by .025 and retest. If you still fail, add another .025 vcore. Then retest, repeating the pattern outlined. Stop adding vcore when your reach 1.5 or core temps exceed the parameters mentioned above.

Failing the Prime test can mean blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or one of the Prime core workers dropping out. Post back after you have added two increments of vcore or hit the mid 50's core temp wall. When you post, attach pics of HWMonitor from your last Prime95 blend run and give us a report.

well here are the results for the 20 min test on stock

Attachments

• HWmonitorstock.jpg
    HWmonitorstock.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 425
  • prime20teststock.jpg
    prime20teststock.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 441
From Post #2 have you >> ?
1. In bios, first disable: Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E and C6.
2. In Windows Control Panel Power Options configure it to High Performance.

Your "join time" has been long enough ago to allow a signature.
My how to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

Up the cpu multiplier by 'one' from 18 to 19 and test with Prime 95 on blend test again. Your motherboard is 'already' supplying enough voltage to the cpu to allow you to get very close to 4.0Ghz without having to do much adjusting right now. If you get to 4.0Ghz in the next 1/2 day or so, then you can manually bump the ram to DDR1600 which is closer to the DDR1866 which is n0t a suppported speed with a Thuban processor and may prove problematic. But DDR1600 should be relatively easy when you get to 4.0Ghz cpu speed.

One additional note is that your CPU CORE TEMPS and your CPUTIN are getting up to the point of going beyond what is considered good for stability as stated in post #2. So you need to realize that your cooling may not be enough for extended running at the voltage needed for a stable 4.0Ghz. Have to see what temps show when you go to the 19 multiplier and run P95 Blend mode. Be well.

Yep, temps are already high. You need a better cooler.

yea, I'm already considering on getting the Corsair H80 as the H100 can't fit in my case. :-/ Well I guess the A50 is a no no for OC'ing then. lol. Anyway my ambient temp is around 28-30'c :-/

edit: should I wait till I get an H80 or continue overclocking? I am also wondering why my AUXTIN temp is so high like 100-130 degrees Celsius I put back the stock values already

Last edited:
yea, I'm already considering on getting the Corsair H80 as the H100 can't fit in my case. :-/ Well I guess the A50 is a no no for OC'ing then. lol. Anyway my ambient temp is around 28-30'c :-/

Just saying but I think your mobo sets too mucho voltage to the cpu, you have like V1.475 when that processor can work perfectly with V1.3 (happened to me) less voltage = less heat, you should try to lower that in the BIOS, and see if it is stable.

Just saying but I think your mobo sets too mucho voltage to the cpu, you have like V1.475 when that processor can work perfectly with V1.3 (happened to me) less voltage = less heat, you should try to lower that in the BIOS, and see if it is stable.

Ricko did you read the whole thread? I had already told him this >> Your motherboard is 'already' supplying enough voltage to the cpu to allow you to get very close to 4.0Ghz without having to do much adjusting right now. << Sure he could drop the voltage a little now but then turn around and have to up it again since he is not staying at the lower cpu speed.

I am not sure if he is going to be able to get much higher before the temps rise and show he will have to change his cpu cooler, but if he does as requested and reports his results, then we will know and he will know exactly what seems the best thing to do next. Thanks.

madmeatballs said:
edit: should I wait till I get an H80 or continue overclocking? I am also wondering why my AUXTIN temp is so high like 100-130 degrees Celsius I put back the stock values already.
I think many sites and forums have cussed and discussed AUXTIN temp before on some of these mobos and have come to the conclusion that it is a spurious, useless reading and is not a real temp of anything. So I think no matter if you put an H80 or an H100 on your cpu, that temp will always be false and useless.

I set the multiplier to x19 to give me 3800 heres what I got. Ran Prime for 20 mins no failure.

Attachments

• CPUZmem.jpg
    CPUZmem.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 411
  • CPUIDHWM.jpg
    CPUIDHWM.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 418
  • CPUZ.jpg
    CPUZ.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 411
Were it actually my rig...I would bump the multiplier one more notch to 20 and test again. The temps are still not just too dang high yet. If 4.0Ghz comes in easily, then we may well try and bring the Vcore down a notch or two and test with a longer run of P95 Blend.

At that time we should know if a better cpu cooler is a MUST, we know it is a good idea already, but maybe not a just got to thing.

Were it actually my rig...I would bump the multiplier one more notch to 20 and test again. The temps are still not just too dang high yet. If 4.0Ghz comes in easily, then we may well try and bring the Vcore down a notch or two and test with a longer run of P95 Blend.

At that time we should know if a better cpu cooler is a MUST, we know it is a good idea already, but maybe not a just got to thing.

Okay, I'll try 20 on stock voltages. Just curious can I up the CPU-NB? what does it do?

Okay, I'll try 20 on stock voltages. Just curious can I up the CPU-NB? what does it do?

Your "stock" voltage is plenty [high] already.

CPU/NB you can g00gle and get good information about the setting. Get the cpu Mhz up first and then deal with the CPU/NB. One variable at a time if possible is always the best course of action.

a worker (specifically worker #5) stopped on me but other workers continued. Forgot to take a screenshot of HWMonitor but the CPUTIN max was at 61 degrees but played around 58 degrees.

edit: Ran this at x20 4000MHz at stock volt

Attachments

• primefail.jpg
    primefail.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
One worker dropping out is usually fixed by a tad more vcore if temps allow but your CPU temp is already 65c, about the max.

+^^ for trents. You an try dropping your multiplier by .5 to 19.5 or 3900 this might be enough to get you stable but you certinly dont have room for any more VCore you are up at what most concider max stable temps now.

+1 bassnut.
I limited my fx8120s to 62c peak core temps and had much better luck not killing them.

Also, keep in mind that the core temp sensor on the Thubans is notoriously "off", often about 10-15 too cool in its report. That's why I referred to the CPU temp, not the core temp above. Motherboard CPU socket area temps seem to be pretty consistently more accurate even though logically what's going on in the cores is more critical. Seems to me that our oft-preached 55c core temp stability limit usually translates into about 65c CPU temp. So that on CPU models where the core temp looks suspect I revert to a 65c socket temp.

Prime95 running for almost 5 hours now at 3.8GHz stock voltages I've failed with 3.9GHz on stock voltages I get BSODs

Attachments

• CPUZ1.jpg
    CPUZ1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 390
  • CPUIDHWM1.jpg
    CPUIDHWM1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 393
  • primerunning.jpg
    primerunning.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 396
Okay, then I would conclude you are stable now but those temps are still high under full load. A Corsair A50 cooler is kind of small for a 6 core CPU. I have the Corsair A70 and it does great on my 960T unlocked to six cores at 3.9 ghz.

Back