• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help first time oc 1090t on Asrock 990fx Extreme4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Glad you brought that up. Moving the video card down to the PCI-e 8-bit lane will also significantly lower the temp of your motherboard NB chip. I've recently discovered this on two of my rigs. And there is only a small video card performance penalty for doing so since the PCI-e 16x lane's bandwidth seldom comes close to being saturated on most systems.
Hmmm... Well I have a HD 6870, however my native resolution is 1080p playing bf3 at an FPS of 40-50 if I move the card to the 8x slot it might do significant fps drop. But I'll try adding more fans first and replace my cpu cooler's fan with a gentle typhoon.

Last edited:
Well, try moving the card to the 8x slot and see if you do loose much fps.

Madmeatballs, it's time you created a Sig with your system info so we can keep track of your system info. Click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then Edit Signature. You can refer to mine or some other regular's Sig for guidance as to what to include. This is a common forum courtesy. And you cannot access this feature if you're posting from a mobile device.

Actually, on your motherboard you don't have a PCI-e 8x slot. You have two 16's and a 4x.

It might help air flow a bit as it gives more open space around the CPU socket area. It probably won't have a direct effect electronically on the NB temps since the lower 16x slot will pull the same load as the upper.

Come on now, Sig please.

It might help air flow a bit as it gives more open space around the CPU socket area. It probably won't have a direct effect electronically on the NB temps since the lower 16x slot will pull the same load as the upper.

Come on now, Sig please.
Okay I'll try putting it down. Anyway sorry, using a mobile device now. But I already have a sig.

Sorry, my mistake about the Sig. I didn't realize it won't even display when you use a mobile even after creating one from a desktop.

trying 3.9MHz at a higher voltage.

@trents I've placed my GPU down already, its... near my PSU(about an inch) but then lets see if I get better temps.(gave more space for CPU cooler since CPU cooler fan is sucking air from below.) though GPU fan is near my PSU

Running prime95 for 6 and a half hours now with these settings. CPUTIN seems to play around 67-69.

Attachments

• cpuz4.jpg
    cpuz4.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 54
  • CPUIDHWM4.jpg
    CPUIDHWM4.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 57
Yes allot better. The last time he did a 5 hour run at 3800 hs socket temp was High ... 75*C and max core temp of 60*C and running at 48*C. Some definate improvment. Nice job mad meatballs.

Looks like I'll be hanging on to my 3900MHz for awhile till I get new fans, I tried to go for 4000MHz and added some volts but my CPUTIN is just too high (68-75 degrees) though core temps stay around 55-58 degrees

I have a question about my ram... I have 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 with latency of 9-10-9-27.. but then currently running my ram at 1600 only with same latency. Can I lower my latency? If yes, how?

I recently got new fans for my computer.
I got 2 Yate Loons 2200rpm for exhaust(pretty loud good thing I use headphones)
then a Prolimatech 140mm Vortex blue as intake and replaced my Corsair A50's fan with a Scythe SlipStream 1900 (is that a good idea? lol) then I used the A50's cooler and 120mm fractal design for air intake. Weird thing is I still get same CPUTIN temperatures while running Prime95, its like I just added some more noise.

Edit: weird after an hour my fans seems to show improvement it now managed to stay at 65-67 degrees only, before I was reaching more than 70 degrees
(added screenshots of CPUID HWM and CPUZ)

Attachments

• cpuz5newfans.jpg
    cpuz5newfans.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 56
  • CPUIDHWM5newfans.jpg
    CPUIDHWM5newfans.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Have you tried placing a "spot" fan blowing directly on the socket area below the CPU? Getting more and more powerful case fans can surely help temps but only if your case ventilation was inadequate to begin with.

Have you tried placing a "spot" fan blowing directly on the socket area below the CPU? Getting more and more powerful case fans can surely help temps but only if your case ventilation was inadequate to begin with.

I just added some new information on my last post. New fans seems to pull down the temp 5 degrees lower, still running Prime95 before I was hitting above 70+ with this 3.9MHz

well I got a fan getting air in, blowing it towards my CPU cooler

Last edited:
I was meaning a spot fan in the sense of one dedicate to the socket area, jury-rigged somehow with zip ties or velcro or something that is laying right in the socket area.

well, nope I don't have a fan directly blowing to the socket area. No where to hang it anyway. Do you think I should re-apply thermal paste on my cooler?

It might be a good idea to reapply the thermal paste ("TIM") as if you used the popular "pea-sized blob in the center" method you may not have gotten good spread of the paste. I have the same cooler as you except mine, the Corsair A70, comes with two fans instead of one. These coolers have the copper heat pipes exposed on the bottom instead of covered by a flat plate and sometimes the ridges and valleys between the pipes block the spread of the paste. When I used the blob method, the TIM did not spread beyond the center pipes. I took it off and used the "two line" method (two thin lines of pasted laid across the pipes to divide the area into three equal sections) and it made a huge difference!

Attachments

• pipes.JPG
    pipes.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 50
There are a lot of good TIMs but some are pretty expensive and give only a small performance increase over less expensive but good products. Can you get Arctic Cooling MX2 or MX4? They are very good and also economical. If you cannot get that what is available to you?

Back