• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help first time oc 1090t on Asrock 990fx Extreme4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm.. but I'm thinking my A50 isn't just seated properly(maybe I just need to re-apply thermal paste properly). Shop put parts up together for me or is the A50 just really crappy?

Sheesh, just a regular old CoolerMaster 212Plus had me below 55 degrees for a 4.1Ghz overclock on the 1090T. If a budget is needed, or a very quick fix, pick one up for like 20 bucks.

Sheesh, just a regular old CoolerMaster 212Plus had me below 55 degrees for a 4.1Ghz overclock on the 1090T. If a budget is needed, or a very quick fix, pick one up for like 20 bucks.
Well.. problem is I couldn't find any shop (locally) with 212 on stock always out of stock thats why I got forced to get this A50. Also I got a very different ambient temp than you.. I guess.. around 28-34 degrees. Well if I were to buy a new cooler I'd just go for an H80 then or Noctua NH-D14 if it'll fit my case.(but I guess it'll be the H80.....)

Well.. problem is I couldn't find any shop (locally) with 212 on stock always out of stock thats why I got forced to get this A50. Also I got a very different ambient temp than you.. I guess.. around 28-34 degrees. Well if I were to buy a new cooler I'd just go for an H80 then or Noctua NH-D14 if it'll fit my case.(but I guess it'll be the H80.....)

Ahh. My Ambients hover around 20-24.

After closer examination...Maybe.

Okay there are many ways to look at an issue. WE have wondered if you had enough CPU Cooler and WE have had our doubts. There is another situation to examine though as well.

I think the graphic as posted below may point to a contributor to high cpu temperatures. I know "bassnut" has found case cooling to be of pretty darn high importance and the poster here may find his situation to be hampered by case airflow also. The case air-flow may just be unable to put the cpu heat outside of the case and thus the cpu gets hotter and hotter without any increase in CPU Vcore or CPU Speed.

Attachments

• a3800 compiled.jpg
    a3800 compiled.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 67
If you have been able to run your OC for 5 hours on prime you have a pretty stable OC. Something you can try is going into your bios and lower your VCore by 1 notch and retest for 2 hours and see what happens. You might be able to, no promises but you just might be able to drop a bit of VCore and temps.

Case cooling. You have the fractal design 300. Are you still running the stock fans that came with the case?

This includes 3 fans stock .....
■1 front mounted Fractal Design 140mm fan @ 1000rpm included
■1 rear mounted Fractal Design 120mm fan @ 1200rpm included
■1 top mounted Fractal Design 140mm fan @ 1000rpm included

from the looks of these fans it is a fairly quiet case 2 140mm 1000 rpm and a 120mm 1200rpm fan each of these fans move about 40CFM of air. Concidering the amount of heat these FX CPU's generate and the problems I have had with case flow I think RGone is right and you just have a bit too much heat sticking around in your case.

Now your 1090T won't genrate as much heat as my FX chip so hopefully it wont be as hard to combat. Acording to the Fractal design website there can be fitted with 4 more fans. You might want to concider this if you want to continue with a higher OC.

■Additional 4 fan slots available for optional fans; one 120mm in front, one 120mm in bottom,one 120/140mm in top and one 120/140mm in side panel

Well heres my airflow. any fans I should flip? or should I add more fans?

Bassnut, yup using 3 stock fractal fans.. should I replace them?

EDIT: will try lowering voltage now

Attachments

• airflow.jpg
    airflow.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Your airflow is good, you just need more flow. I dont know what kind of budget you have and decisions on what to buy rest with you but I can give you a couple ideas. Ideally I would get 2 new fans for the top of your case that can move a lot of air there are a few you can look at ...

My first choice would be the Prolimatech Aluminum Vortex Series 140mm. They come with rpm reduction resitors and when run at 1200rpm are dead quiet and not very loud at full speed. One problem with these fans they are hard to find and expensive at $30 a piece. You can get them at frozen cpu.

A more budget minded 140mm fan is GELID Wing 14 UV Blue they move allot of air as well and are pretty quiet. I can get these locally for $18 I'm sure if you look around you can find some easilly.

.... and add 1 or 2 120mm fans in the bottom of your case. Keep the same kind of airflow intake at the front and bottom and out the tiop and back.

If you want to stay with the black frame white fan then look at the NZXT Enthusiast fan. A little more expensive then the Gelid I have listed and the 120mm fans can be a bit louder but not anoyingly so ..... I have never used the 140mm version but they do make one as well. These fans move allot of air.

There are allot of fans out there and these are just suggestions from fans I have used and like and have awhole box full of fans I dont like. Check out thier stats and look around and see what you can find. Ultimatly you are the one paying for this stuff you should be happy with what you buy. Dont be afraid to ask some questions.

nice actually I got an NZXT Enthusiast fan for my side panel for air intake. Have you ever used Scythe 120mm Slip Stream PWM fans(1300-1900 RPM)?

lowered my voltage currently running Prime95 for 1hour now. no failures yet.

Attachments

• CPUZ2.png
    CPUZ2.png
    20 KB · Views: 61
  • CPUIDHWM2.png
    CPUIDHWM2.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 62
if you get through 2 hours try dropping yourVCore another notch. Keep doing this till you loose stability then just up your VCore 1 step to where you were last stable and try a longer run on prime. Looking good so far for core temps ......

well here are my results, 2 hours of prime95(still running) cannot turn voltage down now since I'll just get a BSOD when I do. Going to try 3.9MHz

edit: I also noticed when I removed my side panel temps seems to be 2-3 degrees lower than current. Should really get new fans soon.

Attachments

• cpuz3.jpg
    cpuz3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 57
  • CPUIDHWM3.jpg
    CPUIDHWM3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Thats a good OC you were able to drop your VCore a couple notches and should help your temps. If your temps droped a couple deg by removing your side pannel then airflow, as we discussed earlier will help with that. If you still want to push your OC try to get a couple good 140mm fans up top to suck out the hot air and help then with a couple good 120mm fans in the front and bottom. Your temps are fine for now and better case cooling will help, might even get you to the 4GHZ you were looking for.

Yep, if your temps drop with side panel off then you need better airflow. With good case airflow you sometime get better temps than when you have the case side panel off.

I had a problem with my side fan being blocked by the GPU entirely so I moved my GPU down to the PCI-e 8x slot so the fan could blow over the the card and feed the CPU fan.

Might try something similar.

I had a problem with my side fan being blocked by the GPU entirely so I moved my GPU down to the PCI-e 8x slot so the fan could blow over the the card and feed the CPU fan.

Might try something similar.

Glad you brought that up. Moving the video card down to the PCI-e 8-bit lane will also significantly lower the temp of your motherboard NB chip. I've recently discovered this on two of my rigs. And there is only a small video card performance penalty for doing so since the PCI-e 16x lane's bandwidth seldom comes close to being saturated on most systems.

Back