• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help first time oc 1090t on Asrock 990fx Extreme4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not familiar with either of those but they are produced by companies that make good aftermarket heat sinks. I would assume these companies want to include a quality TIM to ensure that their heat sinks perform optimally. Where in the world do you live anyway?

I think what has happened is you have a dead spot around your socket area. here a couple pics of what I had to do to help cool my socket area. Maybe there is something you can work with.

First when I was in Rona I came across a simple dryer vent, $4.00 that is ised to go through your wall and direct the airflow outside and down. I just peeled the plastic shroud off it and used some crazy glue in the 4 corners to hold it on the rear fan which I reversed to blow in from the back.. You can see in the pic it blows right on the VRM / socket area. Not sure if the fan on your case will line up as well as mine did but it is worth a look.

Second I cut a vent in the back pannel of my case right over the socket area and use a fan to suck air out and away from the socket. This might be overkill for you but is a thought.

Attachments

• blower1.JPG
    blower1.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 84
  • blower2.JPG
    blower2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • vent.JPG
    vent.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 88
Man, bassnut, that's pretty innovative. And it doesn't even look very ghetto!

I was looking at it, and trying to determine if he had two side case fans and I was just blind. That's clean.

hmmmm thats a nice idea.. but I can't do that.. CPU Cooler blocking it maybe when I get a new cooler I'll definitely do that. Anyway I live in the Philippines. I've google'd for good TIMs then they say the PK-1 or TX-4/TX-2 or Gelid GC-Extreme and the AS5 (which is hardly available here).

I have seen tests where they HSCompounds finish in this order >> Tuniq TX-4 and TX-2, Shin-Etsu MicroSI X23-7783D, Prolimatek PK-1, Arctic Cooling MX-4 and MX-2, that being slightly better to worse listing. Tuniq’s TX-2, Arctic Cooling’s MX-2, and Prolimatech’s PK-1 are listed in that order because they are a good bit cheaper than some of the others and they score mighty good for removal of heat.

Man, bassnut, that's pretty innovative. And it doesn't even look very ghetto!

I really hated the idea of cutting the case. Freakin thig cost me $350 but in the end it worked out nice and the case is worth it. Everything now has its place where as with the Lian Li A71 it was very crowded.

well I'm back! after exactly a year? LOL :rofl:
finally got my Corsair H80i today. I've been getting way much better temps than before. I have achieved 3.7 before, now I want to reach 4.0 or 4.2.

I'm running Prime 95 now for almost an hour at 3.7 (my last stable clock) my core temp is at 40C stable compared to before which was 70-75C. Must have been a bad TIM I guess because when I removed the cooler TIM wasnt spread out it there was a side with way less TIM on it.

Okay, looks like I keep on getting BSODs trying to find a stable voltage for 3.9ghz. Is there something else holding me back? I mean might it be CPUNB which I did not touch at all
my NB freq multiplier is at x8.0 1600MHz and with a voltage of 1.1750v should I crank it up?
as for now I will stay at 3.7 which was my last stable clock until I get a response from you guys

Last edited:
well sorry about that but my temps on load hang around 40C stable on 3.7 @ 1.375v thats what I set in the uefi however CPUz shows 1.392v for some reason. I tried clocking to 3.9 but I couldnt find the right voltage. Seems like something else might be holding me back?

You should probably increase your HT and CPU_NB speed. If the NB is too low it can't stabilize. Like Blaylock asked lets see some screens underload and this time include the memory tab so we can see the NB speed and also the SPD tab both from CPU-z.

Load speeds and cpu-z

Attachments

• 2in1.png
    2in1.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 37
  • CPUZMEM.png
    CPUZMEM.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 37
  • CPUZSPD.png
    CPUZSPD.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hmmm, I've got everything including turbo off. let me check again. I noticed that too. I was wondering what the hell was causing it.

OK, just incase it hasn't been mentioned...It looks like your CPU multi is variable from (4-18.5). If I'm not mistaken this is an indicator that you have turbo mode active. If so you're going to want to turn that off. It can cause instability while OCing. If it's off I would bump multi to 19 and stress.
2200 on NB is right about where she wants to be. Each system varies so if you do get a fail try bumping NB up or down. If you still get fail then give vCore another bump.
I'm curious to see the improvement the H80 with good TIM is going to do. (keeping in mind it probably wont help the socket temp)

hmmm I just checked. turbo is off. maybe switching it on then off again might do the trick. let me try it.

well I did not know it was in balanced mode. Now I switch it back to High Performance mode. Anyway I still see that (4-18.5) on CPUz why is it doing that I have them all disabled, Spectrum Spread, C1E, AMD Turbo Core Tech, ASRock UCC, CPU Active Core Control, AMD IO C-State Support, Cool'n'Quiet, CPU thermal throttle and I have Secure Virtual Machine enabled as default (dont know what that is). Did I disable something that shouldnt be disabled?

Last edited:
Maybe CnQ was enabled last time you cleared CMos? Grabbing at straws.

hmm last time I had to push that CMos button was a year ago... so what should I do? should I push it again?:bang head

currently running prim95 now at 19x multiplier 3800MHz , 2200MHz HT / NB will post CPUz and HW when temps are stable

Last edited:
Well, the last time I saw my AUXTIN was last year(Older versions of the software). 12v rail? different from +12v?

3.8GHz was stable now trying 3.9 atm I up'ed the multiplier to x19.5 from x19 the I got BSOD so I up'd the voltage to the next one.

Attachments

• 2in1.png
    2in1.png
    119.6 KB · Views: 55
  • CPUZMEM.png
    CPUZMEM.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Well well, a worker stopped on me. Here are the settings:
up'ed the vCore again for the worker.. running prime95 again now

I got another BSOD from my last vCore adjustment, doing another one now. I selected 1.4175v from the UEFI previous was 1.4000v.

Last edited:
Back