• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC'ing e3400 for a n00b?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

8BitLoser

Ok well im kinda stuck trying to overclock my CPU :-/

I have a ASRock G31m-s R2.0 and it has minor overclocking ability's but im kinda stuck at 3.1GHz and going higher makes my system hang after the BIOS and it beeps like 50 times until i shut it off.

If searched/posted everywhere for help but no ones seems to want to, so forgive me if i kinda makes this short with not enough details, just remember ive typed almost this exact thing alot today and am loosing hope of getting help. If you do need more info then tell me and ill most defiantly get that for you right away :D

I cant find a voltage control for my cpu which is what ive heard can fix hanging. And my motherboard has 2 options to overclock, CPU PCIE ASYNC AND CPU PCIE SYNC Ive been using sync cause it syncs the PCIE option with it so i doint know if thats whats causing my problem or not. Also Im beyond new to cpu overclocking so bear with me if i makes some mistakes with words and such. I Dont have money for upgrades right now unfortunately. though i do plan on getting a 2500k ASAP but ASAP = Long time for kid without a job and less than fortunate parents.

So my specs are

Intel E3400
ASRock g31m-s r2.0
x1 2GB ddr2 800 x1 1gb ddr2 800
80Gb 7200RPM boot hdd and x2 150Gb in raid 0
GPU XFX radeon hd6770

I did build it 100% by myself no help

According to CPU-z my OC settings are:

The multiplier is 13 Locked of course

I adjusted the bus speed to 240 going to 241 gives me the beeping after bios thing

The Core speed is 3117

Rated FSB is 959 I dont know what changed that TBH it used to be different

Overclock Mode: should be set to CPU, PCIE, Async. This unlinks the PCI-E frequency from the FSB, and keeps it at the default 100MHz. What's the DRAM frequency w/ the FSB at 240MHz? If Memory Clock is still set to 400MHz (DDR2-800); 1:2 FSB : DRAM ratio w/ the FSB at 240MHz, then the effective DRAM frequency = DDR2-960, which is well above what the modules are rated to run at.

Overclock Mode: should be set to CPU, PCIE, Async. This unlinks the PCI-E frequency from the FSB, and keeps it at the default 100MHz. What's the DRAM frequency w/ the FSB at 240MHz? If Memory Clock is still set to 400MHz (DDR2-800); 1:2 FSB : DRAM ratio w/ the FSB at 240MHz, then the effective DRAM frequency = DDR2-960, which is well above what the modules are rated to run at.

Ahh. Well i havent adjusted the dram frequency, its under a different area and such. and cpu-z says FSB:DRAM is 3:5. I dont know how to change that and should i change that or just adjust lower to make it around 800? thanks for the help btw :) also i heard having the PCIE at 120 is the best for performance and relatively stable. thats what i have it set to right now. should i change this back to 100?

I just went and looked and i didnt see any option for lowering the dram speed just to raise it to 960

Back