• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: Overclocking FX 8150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
can new egg ship to australia?? but that's not too bad any other good boards you could recommend?

Don't know about shipping to Australia? The only other boards I would "heartily" recommend are the Asus Crosshair, the Asus Sabertooth and the ASRock Fatality. Those seem to be the only ones that really bear up well under the power demands of the 8 core FX CPUs.

Haha oh well. The crosshair v formula Z looks like a decent board, i might have a read into that one. Seems to have everything i need in the aspect over overclocking and crossfire. But something tells me im going to need a larger power supply haha.

Haha oh well. The crosshair v formula Z looks like a decent board, i might have a read into that one. Seems to have everything i need in the aspect over overclocking and crossfire. But something tells me im going to need a larger power supply haha.

Wazza92, I cannot even begin to think of how many people "trents" helped overclock their stuff. He is about as good as it gets for the complete package of teaching the O/C craft on AMD.

There is one thing that he has not done yet and that is experience for himself just how much power the FX processors draw and then how hot most get when upping the Vcore to really push the FX processor and certainly your FX-8150.

I don't have to have a particular board to help overclock it. We have a number in here that are that way as well. BUT after a year of helping with the FX processors and I got an FX-8120 and thank my guts I went for the big dog CHV non-Z board. Buying that high dollar top of the line board to begin with let me overclock the FX on water without board issues. I found out the FX's run hOt and need a good board to carry the current load to the processor.

I guess that those who bench at HWBot and run the big numbers could run whatever board they wanted to run. The CHV and newer CHV-z are used by more people than every other brand or model of board used, added together. That is a lot of leaning toward a single board overall. BUT there are features on the CHV boards that are not on other boards that lend the board well to DICE, LN2 and Helium cooling for overclocking. You pay for those added features.

You could get an Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional and get the muscles to do the overclock on water but not pay for those features for the benchers that use DICE and LN2. I have a write-up on the Fatal1ty 990FX over in the AMD motherboard section. Is it a contender title or similar.

The UD5 as I have searched it seems about 2 out of 3 that say don't get one. But I have seen one user in here at OCF that was doing okay with his.

We cannot get every board to test in real life. Review sites don't push the boards as hard as real users do. Most that come into this forum with an FX processor have bought a cheapazz mobo because they say the boards run FX processors and they do if left to run as AMD designed them. BUT when you turn on all the cores and push the speed up, the heat and power requirements go up rapidly.

About all I can say. Go big or stay at home is certainly true about big speed with 8 core FX processors.
RGone...

i can definitely tell trents has had plenty of experience in overclocking and i am very much appreciative of his help.
Ill have a read up on both boards and make a decision from there hopefully. So far from what you have said and what ive read the CHV-z is on top.. Not the cheapest however as you said go big or stay at home.
Other than that there is nothing else that im aware of that will be needed to get to get the higher overclock rate.
I'll just wait and see what gets added to the list.
For this board ill just stick at 4.2ghz it will do the job for now :p

thank you all for your help. When i have the new motherboard we'll give it another go and get some good figures happening!

Back