• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help overclocking fx8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlp369

i cant seem to ge my FX830 over 3.6 . it ran for me at 4.1 stable when i had my cooler master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler but when i switch it a Corsair HydroH80i Extreme Liquid CPU Cooler and tryed to overclock it freezes on me. ever time i go past 4.0 it freezes or wot start . need help Please ..

Motherbroad -Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+
cpu- AMD FX 8350
Cooler -Corsair HydroH80i
ram- GeIL EVO Leggara Series 16GB
video -EVGA SuperClocked GTX 660 3GB
20130612082544.jpg

20130612082535.jpg

20130612082552.jpg

jlp369, welcome to the forums. Unfortunately, I will be the bearer of bad news. Just because a motherboard manufacturer says a cpu will run on their board doesn't mean it will run well. Your board just doesn't have the guts to run that chip overclocked, I'm surprised it runs it at all for that matter. Your Vrm Power Phase section, which supplies the Cpu with the voltage delivery isn't robust enough to power the chip, especially when overclocked. The Fx 8 and 6 series chips require a lot of power when running above stock clock speeds. I would just try and run it at stock speeds for the time being. If you are running more then 2 sticks of ram you may try and take 2 out and see if it helps but it's a long shot. Have a look at this post.

:welcome: to the forum jlp369
My first gues from what you describe would be the VRM. I say this because the board you have has a very small power section for an FX 8350. After you changed coolers the turbulance that the CM air cooler created is gone leaving the VRM heat sink with no air movement, so it heats up too fast and the system becomes unstable/unuseable. First thing I would try is taking the side panel off your case and point a strong fan at the CPU socket area and see if this will allow it to boot.

EDIT:sn:'d by manny. Guess I should have finished typing before that phone call.

I am in fully agreement that the H80 instead of the Air cpu cooler has taken air away from the VRMs and also the CPU_NB. Both of which not are likely gettting hotter than they were. No air to the VRMs and CPU_NB can quickly become an issue when trying to overclock an 8 core FX-8350. Taking the case off and letting a household box fan blow into the case often shows up the air flow as an issue.

Add these settings I see to the possible issue above and I can see you may well have problems overclocking the FX-8350.
1. System Voltage Control >> Auto >> means the board is trying to set voltages. Most often does not work in an overclocked mode.

2. Normal CPU Vcore >> 1.2375 >> very low voltage to the cpu. And greatlly so if you try and overclock which normally turns on ALL 8 cores at one time.

3. Normal CPU Vcore NB >> 1.1875V >> When using 16gigs of ram I see them in the memory section suggest to raise CPU_NB to 1.225V so that the IMC has enough voltage to deal with the load on it with 16gigs of ram.

I would guess as the others have that you were lucky with the air-cooler to get to 4.x Ghz previously but you have made changes to the cpu cooling that have not been kind to other parts of the motherboard. And from settings seen currently in bios, they are not allowing enough voltage to the Cpu and CPU_NB. So it seems you have more than one strike against overclocking even a little on the 8 core FX-8350.

This is where we normally start to do just about any overclocking of AMD systems. Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Ok jlp you should still do another HWmonitor shot of this under load with P95 so we see how hot it gets and voltages. If at some point you're going over 60 on the package and I think the tmpin1 is your CPU socket reaches 70 then stop your run and report back.

Back