• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BPKota

Registered
I keep having random reboots. My power supply has been replaced. I installed a new and better graphics card. I ran memtest to check my ram and everything passed. I keep getting an error when running OCCT 4.3.2.

System
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 1.1)
AMD Fx 8120 Bulldozer
G.Skill RipjawsX F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL 32gb total
xfx r7700
antec kuhler 920

Problems happen at completely stock bios setting and at current settings running at 4000. I took everything apart out of the case and just hooked up the basics with no change. I checked for certified drivers, virues and everything i could think of.. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• SS2.jpg
    SS2.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 109
OCCT shows a max Vcore of 1.22V and that is not enough Vcore to run OCCT in P95 Blend mode stable at 4.0Ghz. .
RGone...

reset defaults in bios now showing 4 cores not 8?

Attachments

• SS3.jpg
    SS3.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 89
I don't know about your missing cores but it looks like to me your CPU core voltage is too low to keep that CPU stable under heavy load in post #1. In bios, turn off Cool N Quiet, C1E, C6, Turbo Core Boost and APM. Make sure any core unlocking/core control technology is disabled.

I don't know about your missing cores but it looks like to me your CPU core voltage is too low to keep that CPU stable under heavy load in post #1. In bios, turn off Cool N Quiet, C1E, C6, Turbo Core Boost and APM. Make sure any core unlocking/core control technology is disabled.

I had all that disabled. I reset to defaults and it still randomly reboots. If I try to adjust voltage to feed the oc it shuts down while in the bios screen.

I see you have 32 gb of ram. That's a huge amount and will place strain on the IMC! I would suggest either removing some of the ram and see if that doesn't take care of the problem or giving the CPU/NB some extra voltage, like bump it up to 1.3 or something.

Tell us about he make and wattage of your PSU.

I see you have 32 gb of ram. That's a huge amount and will place strain on the IMC! I would suggest either removing some of the ram and see if that doesn't take care of the problem or giving the CPU/NB some extra voltage, like bump it up to 1.3 or something.

Tell us about he make and wattage of your PSU.

It's a corsair tw750. Could to much ram cause random reboots?

Yes, too much ram can cause reboots for sure. And how is it configured? Four sticks of 8 gb or two sticks of 16 gb? That can make a difference too. Why in the world do you have so much ram installed? Do you do a lot of Photoshop or audio/video editing? Even 8 gb is more than most apps need.

Yes, too much ram can cause reboots for sure. And how is it configured? Four sticks of 8 gb or two sticks of 16 gb? That can make a difference too. Why in the world do you have so much ram installed? Do you do a lot of Photoshop or audio/video editing? Even 8 gb is more than most apps need.

I wanted to be able to run photoshop with other stuff going on. But I would rather have faster core speed. I have 4 stick of 8gb.

Now, you motherboard specs probably say that the board will run 32 gb of ram. But did you check to see if it would do that with four sticks or two sticks? And why are you running 1333 mhz ram with an FX CPU whose IMC will easily run 1866 ram. Seems to me you are bottle-necking the performance of the CPU with that slow ram.

Please download and install CPU-z and post back with attached pics of these three tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. Let's have a look at frequencies, voltages and timings - both what you are running and what the ram manufacturer recommends (the SPD tab).

Ok here you go...:attn:

Attachments

• CPUZ SS1.png
    CPUZ SS1.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 86
Just a tip: please crop the image before uploading it to eliminate all the white space. If you don't it comes out so small the values are hard to read in the CPU-z interface. Snipping tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. You might try lowering your HT Link frequency too. There will not be any performance penalty as long as you don't cause it to dip below about 1800 mhz. I would put it at 2200.

Just a tip: please crop the image before uploading it to eliminate all the white space. If you don't it comes out so small the values are hard to read in the CPU-z interface. Snipping tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. You might try lowering your HT Link frequency too. There will not be any performance penalty as long as you don't cause it to dip below about 1800 mhz. I would put it at 2200.

No problem, So....Should I pull out some ram? Maybe go to 16gb...

I don't understand what's happening...I pulled out 2 sticks of ram, I lowered the HT to 2200..I've added a fan blowing air on the back on the mb. Nothing i do changes my reboots. I run occt 4.3.2 from 1 to 2 mins and my pc just reboots itself. I'm stumped...

I don't understand what's happening...I pulled out 2 sticks of ram, I lowered the HT to 2200..I've added a fan blowing air on the back on the mb. Nothing i do changes my reboots. I run occt 4.3.2 from 1 to 2 mins and my pc just reboots itself. I'm stumped...

You pulled 16gigs of ram and OCCT runs 1 or 2 mins and not just 7 seconds as your first post shows. So now maybe you will listen and raise the Vcore. That 1.2ish Vcore is NOT enough vcore to run even 4.0Ghz.
RGone...

I had all that disabled. I reset to defaults and it still randomly reboots. If I try to adjust voltage to feed the oc it shuts down while in the bios screen.

Something is wrong there!

Do you have a bios version installed that will properly recognize the CPU you are running? The board may have shipped with an earlier bios that doesn't contain the microcode to properly work with the FX-8120. If not sure, check the Gigabyte website for the CPU compatibility list and the appropriate bios version. The CPU-z tab, "Motherboard" will tell you what version you are currently running.

Something is wrong there!

Do you have a bios version installed that will properly recognize the CPU you are running? The board may have shipped with an earlier bios that doesn't contain the microcode to properly work with the FX-8120. If not sure, check the Gigabyte website for the CPU compatibility list and the appropriate bios version. The CPU-z tab, "Motherboard" will tell you what version you are currently running.

Gigabyte says it is...I also have it flashed with the latest bios..

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3996#bios

Then the next diagnostic step I would try is taking out all but one stick of ram and moving it around to each memory slot. Perhaps you have a bad slot. This happened to me recently.

You say if you try to increase the CPU core voltage the system restarts before you can even get out of bios? You really do need to get that core voltage up to around 1.35 at stock frequencies.

Then the next diagnostic step I would try is taking out all but one stick of ram and moving it around to each memory slot. Perhaps you have a bad slot. This happened to me recently.

You say if you try to increase the CPU core voltage the system restarts before you can even get out of bios? You really do need to get that core voltage up to around 1.35 at stock frequencies.

I ran memtest and everything passed..but i can still use one stick and move it between slots. right now i have everything in the bios back to completely default settings. I will try anything to fix this problem. Thanks for all your help trents :thup:

Put in only two sticks of ram in dual channel mode.

Reset the CMOS. Make sure you don't have any power to the board when you move the CMOS jumper. Pull the plug from the wall and wait for all motherboard lights to go out. Then move the jumper from pin 1-2 to pin 2-3. Keep it there for 15 seconds. Move it back to 1-2. Then power back on.

Go into bios and set time and date, etc. but leave all frequencies and voltages on default except:

Manually set the CPU core voltage to 1.35

Check for stability.

Back