• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You pulled 16gigs of ram and OCCT runs 1 or 2 mins and not just 7 seconds as your first post shows. So now maybe you will listen and raise the Vcore. That 1.2ish Vcore is NOT enough vcore to run even 4.0Ghz.
RGone...

I've raised the Vcore with no luck.

Put in only two sticks of ram in dual channel mode.

Reset the CMOS. Make sure you don't have any power to the board when you move the CMOS jumper. Pull the plug from the wall and wait for all motherboard lights to go out. Then move the jumper from pin 1-2 to pin 2-3. Keep it there for 15 seconds. Move it back to 1-2. Then power back on.

Go into bios and set time and date, etc. but leave all frequencies and voltages on default except:

Manually set the CPU core voltage to 1.35

Check for stability.

Done...Rebooted itself after 3mins running occt

Okay, I'm out of ideas. I'm beginning to wonder if you have a hardware problem with the motherboard. Do you have another AM3 CPU you can test in that motherboard?

Okay, I'm out of ideas. I'm beginning to wonder if you have a hardware problem with the motherboard. Do you have another AM3 CPU you can test in that motherboard?

No sir....maybe I should contact gigabyte and see what they say....

It is probably a toss-up as to which is bad. The mobo or the cpu. Did you just buy all the parts lately? Has that board only been tried with that FX-8120 cpu? Are you outside of the RMA period where you bought the motherboard and cpu? Sounds like you maybe since you have changed power supply and video card which the video card would not cause this issue unless shorted and you did not mention no video ever.
RGone...

EDIT:
If you contact Gigabyte you need to tell them the board will not run Prime95 Blend mode at stock settings but reboots. To say much more is to make things so unclear they will have you chasing around in circles.
END EDIT.

There is one thing we haven't addressed yet. Indeed, we have no information at all about and that is what are your motherboard temps like? BPKota, you must know if you have spent any time on this forum that one of our standard tools is HWMonitor. It gives a wealth of information, not only about processor core temps but CPU socket temps and VRM/NB motherboard temps. OCT and CoreTemp do not. If a motherboard gets to hot it will cause system restarts as well. And making this more likely is the fact that you are using a water cooling kit so there is no fan stirring up air around the socket like there would be with an air cooler.

Another factor in temps is the case. A well-ventilated case is absolutely necessary when running the heat monster FX-CPUs. What is the make and model of your case? How many intake and how many exhaust fans do you have and how large are they?

Please give us some info about your case and your ventilation.

Then, download and install HWMonitor. Have it open in the background while you run OCCT for two minutes thirty seconds or however long you can run it without a restart. Then post back with a pic attached of HWMonitor.

There is one thing we haven't addressed yet. Indeed, we have no information at all about and that is what are your motherboard temps like? BPKota, you must know if you have spent any time on this forum that one of our standard tools is HWMonitor. It gives a wealth of information, not only about processor core temps but CPU socket temps and VRM/NB motherboard temps. OCT and CoreTemp do not. If a motherboard gets to hot it will cause system restarts as well. And making this more likely is the fact that you are using a water cooling kit so there is no fan stirring up air around the socket like there would be with an air cooler.

Another factor in temps is the case. A well-ventilated case is absolutely necessary when running the heat monster FX-CPUs. What is the make and model of your case? How many intake and how many exhaust fans do you have and how large are they?

Please give us some info about your case and your ventilation.

Then, download and install HWMonitor. Have it open in the background while you run OCCT for two minutes thirty seconds or however long you can run it without a restart. Then post back with a pic attached of HWMonitor.

currently everything is out of the case...i have the mobo set with a fan blowing on the backside of the cpu...pics will be up in a sec..also i was watching the temps and it was saying my core temp was 69c but antec said 45c...

It is probably a toss-up as to which is bad. The mobo or the cpu. Did you just buy all the parts lately? Has that board only been tried with that FX-8120 cpu? Are you outside of the RMA period where you bought the motherboard and cpu? Sounds like you maybe since you have changed power supply and video card which the video card would not cause this issue unless shorted and you did not mention no video ever.
RGone...

EDIT:
If you contact Gigabyte you need to tell them the board will not run Prime95 Blend mode at stock settings but reboots. To say much more is to make things so unclear they will have you chasing around in circles.
END EDIT.

I think i can still RMA...I bought both of these items together last year..

Trents made the right call. The dang cpu is way too hot for only 3.2Ghz. 85c socket and 73c core temps is plenty enough to cause a RE-boot.
RGone...

_Kota, "package" temp is what we used to call "core" temp. On HWMonitor, Gigabyte boards CPU socket temp corresponds to TMPIN2. TMPIN0 and TMPIN1 are either chipset temps or temps from other sensors on the motherboard.

We know from experience that with the FX CPUs you an expect to encounter temp-related instability once package temps exceed about 60c and/or CPU socket temps exceed about 70c. As you can readily see, you're considerably past that on both accounts. I think the mystery has been solved. This makes me wonder if your water block is seated correctly, if the TIM is applied properly or if your water cooling system has air lock or is somehow not functioning properly.

Trents made the right call. The dang cpu is way too hot for only 3.2Ghz. 85c socket and 73c core temps is plenty enough to cause a RE-boot.
RGone...

Now the ? is how do i fix it...do i need to clean and re apply thermal paste? Bigger cooler? More Larger fans? Fan Placement?

RGone & Trents thanks for everything....

Now the ? is how do i fix it...do i need to clean and re apply thermal paste? Bigger cooler? More Larger fans? Fan Placement?

RGone & Trents thanks for everything....

Tackle the big problem first, which is your water cooling kit is not functioning properly. It's probably too small to give you acceptable temps under high overclocks but it should be adequate for stock and mild overclocks. I would remove the water block and clean it and the CPU face thoroughly with paper coffee filters, dry ones at first and then finish with one moistened with a little rubbing alcohol. Paper coffee filters work better than kleenex, paper towels and soft cloth because they have a hard sheen to them and don't leave fibers that insulate.

Then reapply the paste. Just put a small blob in the middle of the CPU (about the size of a pea) and don't try to spread it. Then mount the water block, allowing the clamping pressure to spread the paste. That way you don't introduce air bubbles. Tighten the water block pressure screws a little at a time back and forth to get even pressure.

Now the board is out of the case at present? You still haven't told me about your case and your fans as I requested.

Tackle the big problem first, which is your water cooling kit is not functioning properly. It's probably too small to give you acceptable temps under high overclocks but it should be adequate for stock and mild overclocks. I would remove the water block and clean it and the CPU face thoroughly with paper coffee filters, dry ones at first and then finish with one moistened with a little rubbing alcohol. Paper coffee filters work better than kleenex, paper towels and soft cloth because they have a hard sheen to them and don't leave fibers that insulate.

Then reapply the paste. Just put a small blob in the middle of the CPU (about the size of a pea) and don't try to spread it. Then mount the water block, allowing the clamping pressure to spread the paste. That way you don't introduce air bubbles. Tighten the water block pressure screws a little at a time back and forth to get even pressure.

Now the board is out of the case at present? You still haven't told me about your case and your fans as I requested.

Will do...everything is outside the case..antec nine hundred 1 top exhaust 120mm and 1 front 120mm

Good case but you need more fans in it. Fill all empty fan places except perhaps on the side panel. I'm not keen on side panel fans as they disrupt the overall flow of air through the case. Positioning a fan to blow on the back of the motherboard socket area is a good idea but it looks like you also need some small spot fans attached to the VRM heatsink and the NB hea tsink. I'll attach a pic of what I have done for your reference. The small fans in the pic are 50 mm fans. I "stuck" them to the hea tsinks by the fan frame hub using double-sided adhesive strips that you can buy in a hardware store or Walmart.

Attachments

• spotfans.JPG
    spotfans.JPG
    795.7 KB · Views: 33
Now once you get the water block cleaned/repasted/remounted you need to determine if water is circulating through the system. Preferably, before you put everything back in the case so hang the radiator fan somehow so you can run the system out of the case. Run OCCT or Prime95 for a bit. Feel the air coming off the radiator. It should feel definitely warm. If not, the pump is not circulating the cooling liquid.

Now once you get the water block cleaned/repasted/remounted you need to determine if water is circulating through the system. Preferably, before you put everything back in the case so hang the radiator fan somehow so you can run the system out of the case. Run OCCT or Prime95 for a bit. Feel the air coming off the radiator. It should feel definitely warm. If not, the pump is not circulating the cooling liquid.

cleaned and applied new paste...per your instructions..everything running..cleaned radiator....tempin 1 & 2 shoots up and then she reboots..added a desk fan and everything ran longer but about 6 mins in she rebooted herslef..

completely stock bios setting...also the NB heatsink gets to hot to touch...

does the pump make weird noises? I found that these AIO cooling units have air in them. I`m thinking that maybe you have some air traped in the pump or the mounting screws for pump are not on tight enough . Do you have the radiator hoses like this or this?

I agree with tungureau. It sounds like your water cooling loop is not functioning properly. Did you feel the air coming off the radiator? Does it feel warm like it's picking up heat from the water block/CPU area?

Back