• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We posted at close to the same time and the PSU information I posted was also for you to see.
Gotcha

My PC only uses at full load 345 watts at the wall, so less watts at 80% efficiency.
90%+ efficiency in your new psu. But I get your point. :)

That (OP) system could rock a 550W PSU, but, I prefer the headroom to add a more powerful GPU, or even stepping up to 3950x, just in case. HDDs and Memory sticks are a drop in the bucket... I don't even consider those, honestly... if you can't sneak in 20W (HDD and more RAM) there's a problem elsewhere with headroom. ;)

I will go for EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 it is on offer right now for 100.00 euro same as seasonic 650w

I think my new build is ready, will start ordering parts tomorrow !!!!

I will post pics while building and final build !
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Gotcha

90%+ efficiency in your new psu. But I get your point. :)

That (OP) system could rock a 550W PSU, but, I prefer the headroom to add a more powerful GPU, or even stepping up to 3950x, just in case. HDDs and Memory sticks are a drop in the bucket... I don't even consider those, honestly... if you can't sneak in 20W (HDD and more RAM) there's a problem elsewhere with headroom. ;)

Enjoy!

For the OP system 650w is fine. For mine the 550W PSU for 310 watts full load is perfect and if I upgrade the RTX 2070 at 185 watts to RTX 2080ti at 260 watts that is only a increase of 75 watts for a total of 385 watts full load. I went with a smaller 550w PSU do to no SLI in the past 11 years and I don't see it in the future.

EarthDog what does your rig use for watts at full load?

EarthDog what does your rig use for watts at full load?
Not sure. The Watt meter isn't on that machine. Its a 7960x @ 4.4 GHz 16c/16t with a 2080Ti FE. I doubt even with that I hit 500W actual... a 750W runs this rig.

I digress though, this isn't about our rigs. :)

My PC only uses at full load 345 watts at the wall, so less watts at 80% efficiency.
I don't really know what you mean when you say "less watts at 80% efficiency".

Power supplies in general are very inefficient electronic devices. And basic, generic power supplies typically have a "bell" shaped efficiency curve. That is, they are most efficient (and usually only about 70% efficient) at one load level (around 50 - 70% load). For electronic devices that only do one thing all the time and thus present a consistent steady load, a bell shaped curve is just fine, as long as that supply is matched so the load and peak efficiency are properly aligned.

But of course, computer loads are constantly varying, from only a few watts at idle, to 100s of watts when heavily tasked. The whole point of the 80 PLUS certification process is two-fold. (1) To create a standard (though volunteer standard) where not only is the efficiency at least 80%, but (2) so the efficiency curve is "flat", that is (ideally), at least 80% from near idle all the way up to 100% load.

The computer (motherboard, RAM, graphics, drives, CPU) will pull from the PSU only what it needs. If that is 300W, then it will pull 300W, regardless the efficiency of the PSU and if the PSU is a 500W supply or a 1000W supply. And the PSU will pull from the wall just 300W, plus a little more due to PSU inefficiency. So if the PSU is 80% efficient, it will pull from the wall 375W (375 x .8 = 300) again, regardless if a 500 or 1000W supply. That extra 75W is wasted in the form of heat.

If those 500 and 1000W PSUs are 90% efficient across all loads, then they will pull just 333W from the wall (333 x .9 = 299.7).

So if by "less watts at 80%" you mean your computer is consuming less than 345W because that is what your PSU is pulling from the wall, then that is true. If 80% is correct, your computer components are consuming only 276W and 69W are being wasted in the form of heat.

Well, give or take a little because the PSU fan consumes some power too.

So if by "less watts at 80%" you mean your computer is consuming less than 345W because that is what your PSU is pulling from the wall, then that is true. If 80% is correct, your computer components are consuming only 276W and 69W are being wasted in the form of heat.
That's what he meant. You can tell by his reply after the 80% was corrected to 90%. :)

For mine the 550W PSU for 310 watts full load is perfect

Back