• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High CFM / Quiet Fans for Switch 810 Case - Advice Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zorton_Maverick

Hey All,

Looking for advice from anyone with really good air cooling knowledge.
Just bought a NZXT Switch 810 MAtte Black finish case to upgrade from my Zalman Z11 Plus.
I wanted to add more fans, have more space, add a 2nd GPU and try my hand at a proper Watercocling loop in the near future so went with this case as it ticked all the boxes.

To start with, my CPU (AMD FX8350) with CM 212 EVO on idle is around 35 Deg Cel and goes to 55deg Cel whilst playing games (BF3, FC3, etc). Thats in the current case with ambient temps over here in Ireland at around 20deg C.

My Asus GTX 660ti is idling at 33deg C and hitting 72deg C whilst playing games.

I know these are fine and within parameters, but I want to OC my CPU to at least 4.6GHz and I want to tweak my GPU as well.

That brings me to the 810 case purchase. I will eventually try a WC CPU loop and add a 2nd 660ti but not till after Xmas.

SO I want to keep my CM 212 EVO in place for now but want to cool things down in my new case.

Therefore, I am looking for powerful (yet Quiet Fans) - High CFM, if possible?

Want to configure the new case as follows:-

1. - 3 * 120mm Fans on the TOP for Exhaust

2. - 2 * 140mm Fans at front for Intake

3. - 1 * 140mm at bottom for Intake

4. - 1 * 140 mm at back for exhaust

5. - Want to replace the 2 120mm Fans on CM 212 EVO with something more powerful than stock.

6. - Will take out bottom HDD Bay (wont be used) and possibly add another Fan to the other detachable HDD bay ?

7. Gonna add 2 Fan Controllers (NZXT Sentry Mesh) to control all fans including the 2 attached to the CM EVO 212 CPU Cooler

I am happy enough with this config, but want to get good air pressure to decrease current temps and give me space to OC comfortably.

I have looked at the Noctuas but all comments I read always refer to how quiet they are..I would like quiet but want high CFM. Using the fan controllers should allow me to set them to full when playing games and reduce when doing less streful activites.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions in relation to Fans :thup:

Fan performance is a cost vs benefit issue.
Noctua makes high quality but expensive fans. Their PWM is "best." Would be a very good choice.
Scythe makes some very good models. And some loud ones.
Thermalright fans are very good.
On sale Cougar fans seem to be gaining recommendations and good professional reviews.

SPCR (Silent PC Review) might be helpful.
Noctua would be an excellent choice.

Last edited:
You do know that you're not going to get a significant performance benefit by doing all of this?

Cass airflow is something grossly exaggerated. Adding more fans doesn't always help, because once you have enough airflow, which most decent cases have in their stock for, more just adds noise but doesn't really help performance.

No matter what you do, you're not going to get 4.6GHz on a Hyper212.

Thanks for the reply,

I like the Noctua fans and they get great reviews, but from looking at specs online, they average 30 – 54.3 CFM on the 120mm fans.

I was looking more at the following fans for 120mm and 140mm:-

120mm

Akasa Viper S-Flow 120 PWM, 9 Blade
Rated 600~1900rpm, 83.63cfm max, 28.9dbA max
Rated 12VDC, 0.17A, Hydro Dynamic Bearing
4 pin M/B connector, Blk Sleeved

Cooljag Everflow 120mm R121225BU, 9 Blade
Rated 2400rpm, 110.03cfm, 39.5dbA
Rated 12VDC, 0.40A
4 pin M/B connector, No Sleeve

Scythe Slip Stream120, 9 Blade
Rated 1900rpm, 110.31cfm, 37dbA
Rated 12VDC, 0.53A,
3 pin M/B connector, No Sleeve

Aero Cool Shark 12cm Black Edition, 15 blade
Rated 1500rpm (+/-10%), 82.6cfm, 26.5dbA
Rated 12VDC, 0.30A, 3.6W, Fluid Dynamic Bearing
3 pin M/B connector, Blk Sleeved

140mm

Scythe Slip Stream140, 9 Blade
Rated 1700rpm, 92.4cfm, 36.4dbA
Rated 12VDC, 0.35A, Sleeve Bearing

Akasa Viper S-Flow 14cm PWM, 9 Blade
Rated 600~1600rpm, 110.61cfm, 26.01dbA
Rated 12VDC, 0.32A, Hydro Dynamic Bearing
4 pin M/B connector, Blk Sleeved

Aero Cool Shark 14cm White Edition, 15 Blade
Rated 1500rpm(+/-10%), 96.5cfm, 29.6dbA
Rated 12VDC, 0.39A, 1.8W, Fluid Dynamic Bearing
3 pin M/B connector, Blk Sleeved

BitFenix Spectre Pro BFF-LPRO-14025B-RP Blue LED, 9 Blade
Rated 1200rpm(+/-10%), 86.73cfm(+/-10%), 22.8dbA
Rated 12VDC, 0.25A(+/-10%), Fluid Dynamic Bearing

Found these on Toms Hardware.
The Akaska Viper seem to have a strong CFM at reasonable RPM and get good reviews.
Obviously Yellow is not a preferred colour scheme, but what can you do.

Combination of these fans with the NZXT Fan Controllers should help (I hope) to reduce temps overall.

@woboy - Happy enough to splash out on Fans if there is a good return. Prices up to €20 per fan.

7. Gonna add 2 Fan Controllers (NZXT Sentry Mesh) to control all fans including the 2 attached to the CM EVO 212 CPU Cooler:

Just an FYI you will have to leave a fan attached to the CPU header. The system checks for fan presence and will not boot without one.
These are some decent low, noise high flow/pressure 120 fans.
I have to go with knufire and Ajay the odds of getting a good 4.6 on air from the 8350 are pretty slim.

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Johan45 - hi mate. Well, I went ahead and bought a new case - NZXT Switch 810, as opposed to the Haf X, I had mentioned when you and RGone were helping me with my new build.
I wasn't happy with my idle temps so hence the new,larger case. I also got my new RAM.
PS - I enjoyed following the OC thread with Oldie..have it tagged and drop in and out of it!

Ok, as stated on OP, I will be upgrading the CPU Cooler after Xmas to a WaterCooled CPU Coooler - either a closed like the NZXT Kraken X60, Corsair h1**, Thermaltake Exteme 2.0 or try a simple Watercooler Kit.

But apologies, I am going off-topic.
For now, I want to add some good fans with controllers to my new case.

Thanks to all for the Fan Recommendations. Going to read up on all of them.
PS - Bit-by-bit

Cheers Ajay.
Just watching the Fan vids via youtube.
There is just so much info online to try and go through...crazy stuff.
Never heard of the H220 but will read through on it now...

Good luck finding the Swiftech H20 220. It has been temporarily discontinued... there is a huge thread on that at the site (and many other places), note. :)

You do know that you're not going to get a significant performance benefit by doing all of this?

Cass airflow is something grossly exaggerated. Adding more fans doesn't always help, because once you have enough airflow, which most decent cases have in their stock for, more just adds noise but doesn't really help performance.

No matter what you do, you're not going to get 4.6GHz on a Hyper212.

While Hyper 212 won't give you 4.5GHz case airflow is most neglected part of most systems. Everybody thinks adding fans improves airflow. It does not! All it does is increase airblow Airflow is the art of getting cool air to component intakes and hot air out of case so it does not mix with cool air and warm it up. Every degree warmer the air going into component cooler is also a degree hotter the component will be. ;)

Air flow is a science, case airflow is a complicated science.
Zorton_Maverick I can understand where he is coming from.
The Zalman Z-11 Case comes with quiet but not particularly strong fans. No surprise in an inexpensive case.
The Switch 810 is a very good case but the fans get mixed reviews. Hense the upgrade.
Generally more quiet fans is the way to go.
With a fan controller though you can experiment with power vs cooling vs noise. And experiment with airflow, IE more front less top etc.
So good fans that work with speed controller make sense, and are a comparatively inexpensive mod.

Please note that CFM and Static Pressure claims are not regulated. Cooler Master, among several others, are known for ecessive claims.
There are good fan "roundups" comparisons. But they are comparisons under the test conditions.
I do not know fan availability or pricing in Ireland.
Have fun and enjoy.
Phanteks also do some excellent fans.

"Air flow is a science, case airflow is a complicated science."
+1 - I thought things would be more straightforward but as soon as you think you have something decided on, something else comes along.

I only built my 1st gaming PC 1 year ago (550ti, AMD FX4100, etc) and have been upgrading bit-by-bit since then.

In relation to fans (airflow, airblow, air pressure) - I just want to make sure that when I have finished moving everything over to the 810 case, it will be cold and cosy in the case for all parts and I don't want to have to fiddle with things again as I am finding it all a bit exhausting.

On that basis, I will read up on all the Fan options provided here - Scythe, Cougar, Silverstone, Xigametek, etc.
Rather than wait till after Xmas, I think I will go ahead and buy my WaterCooler now.

Based on Ajays recommendation, I will most likely go for the "Swifttech H220" - its a little more expensive than the others but thats fine.
Anyone know why it has been temporarily discontinued ? Also, are there any cons I should be aware of ??

Finally, I have been looking at the "NZXT Sentry Mesh 2" for my Fan Controller.
Its non-digital which is to my liking - does anyone have any better options ?

So, Fans, H220, Fan Controller *2, New SSD and HDD (to add to new case and RAM) and I will be finished on spend out.

Once its all put together - will come back for OC advice which I have already been given by Johan (so thanks again) and should be more knowledgeable due to reading the Bulldozer guide numerous times an following all the advice given to Oldie on his thread (getting him to a staggering 4.8GHz on last check)...

Finally (and apologies for lengthy post) - I would just like to complement everyone here and overclockers.com forums in general.
The responses, details provided, advice, links and help from people here is brilliant. You don't find this help and level of knowledge on any of the other forums in my honest opinion.

Thanks!

The reason why there is problem is a Lawsuit pending in the USA. Which has nothing to do with us here in the UK or the EU. So buy it and be happy. AJ

Yes, airflow is a science not an art.. My bad.

The problem is there are so many variable involved it is virtually impossible to scientifically predict how air will flow in a computer case. Case airflow is making an educated guess and see what it does, then use science to analyze why it's flowing the way it is.

To find the best airflow I use a cheap indoor/outdoor thermometer with remote probe is a handy tool. Twist a piece of stiff insulated wire into last 20cm to position probe in airflow going into coolers or anywhere else you want to check the temperature. Case temp should be no more than 2-4c above room under max load.. the lower the better. Remember, every degree hotter the intake air is translates into a degree hotter the CPU/GPU will be. ;)
KGrHqZjoE5fDK4NenBOhVnlQBYw60_35_zpscfa4a300.jpg 1280888924634_hz-fileserver1_272621_zps28d1d990.jpg

Back