• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home cnc milled water block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like a great block!

One idea in my head to essentially double the surface area would be to have channels in the TOP of the block as well as the bottom, with some of the fins touching the fins from the bottom for conductive heat transfer. The majority of the channels in the top of the block would be staggered so the extrusions would fit in the bottom channels. Though now that I think of it, it could be a pretty stupid idea because the top of the block doesn't get any heat directly from the processor :p

I had thought about that, however I wanted to have fins from the top directly touch the IHS. Then sealing the thing becomes and issue. I've also looked into heat pipes 1-3mm in diameter at about 1in long and maybe using four, two on each side, running through the top of the block, and the ends on the center of the block. That gets expensive quickly though, each pipe is $20 a pop :bang head

Another way, however I don't know how much heat transfer would be lost doing your suggested method is basically cut channels in the block, make the top have fins that can fit into them. To combine the block I would have to heat up the bottom half, get solder to flow into the channels. Take the top and make sure its hot and solder it together. My old copper block was soldered together and it worked great as far as sealing. When taking it apart the solder hadn't flowed where it shouldn't have either.

Back