• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot it too Hot...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChapFou

Registered
Hi,

Can i use regular grease between cpu and heatsink (globalwin FOP38), or do i need something special...

Bullet.

No you need thermal paste, its made out of silicone ground up. You could just use the thermal pad that comes with it if you dont have access to thermal paste, but the paste ussually works alot better. If you want the really good stuff go for the Arctic Silver <it contains silver which is a better heat conductor, but its awful expensive for not much performance.

Exactly, you need Thermal Heatsink Compound. The better stuff out is just like the last guy said, Artic Silver Thermal Compound. Grease will heat up and spread much too easy and not allow for a good contact, plus grease runs the chance of melting too far and making contact other parts. Messy.

T-bird 900 @ 1050mhz, max temp running SETI@home is 46c - 48c, idle at 34c. Have a fan in front, one in back, and using a Global Win FOP32 with Radio Shack thermal paste. Trying Artic silver later today to see it I can get to 1100mhz.

Thx guys !!

Thx for help,

I will what u said and buy some thermal paste but the arctic silver (too expensive).

thx again.
Bullet.

Back