• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can this be? Air better than water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yup, I still have my old XP90, and Ultra120 Extreme that would still work as well as they did before they were retired. I just used the TRUE a few weeks ago on a friends rig. He wanted it and I said no lol.

AIO does have a place, just not in my rig :beer:

Although.. I would rather use an AIO than a Hyper212 or the like :D

I've heard somewhere from someone during some conversation that gas(evaporating liquid) eventually finds a way to slowly escape. Notice those pipes clamped at the end? Not sure how much of impact it has or how often it happens, so air coolers aren't exactly same as day one after a while and lose some of their cooling capacity.

It is true that they may experience some loss during aging, but this is minimal and will almost always outlive the sockets they are built for.

I took the decorative panel off the front of my case, leaving the 200 mm intake relatively unobstructed, coupled with a 140 mm intake on the bottom in front of the PSU. Exhaust is my 360 AIO and a 140 mm in the back (and the three 90 mm fans on my GPU). I have great airflow but I live in the factory that makes dust, so every 6 months I have to tear down everything and thoroughly clean it. :bang head

In my anecdotal experience the better 240-360 AIO coolers give slightly better core/package temps than the best air coolers. This agrees with all the cooler comparison charts I have ever seen.

In my anecdotal experience the better 240-360 AIO coolers give slightly better core/package temps than the best air coolers. This agrees with all the cooler comparison charts I have ever seen.
If you fold, that will guarantee your fluid would get heat soaked, at that point is when I would wonder how they truly stack up.. because benching is one thing, and giving a temp reading, but what about when it’s loaded for hours? How much difference would there be in temps logged bs the reviewers?

Passive cooling!:thup:
You can do that with mine! But I haven’t tried..

And I meant to quote Alaric too..

I live in a dust factory too, I move a lot of cfm and have to blow mine out every month or so. Pita.

How much difference would there be in temps logged bs the reviewers?
This depends. Typically a heatsink will get saturated and hit max temps on the same load around 15 mins or so. Water cooling, including AIOs, take a bit longer to saturate. It may may a couple C difference, but most tests are at or close to the saturation point.

I haven't tried an air cooler, but I can hit 95C stress testing my OC (in the winter), so I'm right on the edge. Normally I don't even hit 60 gaming, so I'm content.

If you fold, that will guarantee your fluid would get heat soaked, at that point is when I would wonder how they truly stack up.. because benching is one thing, and giving a temp reading, but what about when it’s loaded for hours? How much difference would there be in temps logged bs the reviewers?

You can do that with mine! But I haven’t tried..

And I meant to quote Alaric too..

I live in a dust factory too, I move a lot of cfm and have to blow mine out every month or so. Pita.

I'm talking about 2 hr. of Prime95. That should saturate an AIO water system, don't you think? And the temp difference between air and AIO good water is generally 2-4c in my experience and on the cooler comparison charts.

It seems reasonable, until I read Alaric’s reply that he hits 95c in the winter with his 6700k. To me that sounds like decent air cooling, but I don’t have any experience with modern cpus yet..

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I should note that at 4700 I too hit low to mid 90s running linpack xtreme right now with my LGMRT.

From a different post but someone really did forget to remove the plastic label from the air cooler HS :rofl:
lableHS.jpg

Back