• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can this be? Air better than water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I read 'SenseMi' as 'sensei,' so overclock as a kind of martial art?

Sense mi performance needs and adjust accordingly!

:D nailed it. Please mutilate that thanks! button.

Modern Intel CPUs have a base clock, an all core boost, and dual thread boost.
It is my understanding that Intel have boosts for various given number of active cores, but they generally only advertise base and single core turbo. Usually I have to go to one of Anandtech, wikichip, or wikipedia to try and find out what the turbo is at 2 to all cores, with all core turbo being the more interesting.

As per Intel Guy, no one is overclocking if turbo rooster is enabled. It is considered an "in spec" operation. Intel can just do it for certain times period, and amd can run in turbo if cooling and power limit is within limit.

Turbo rooster? Sounds tasty. :)

Intel do not require a power or time limit to remain in spec. If you want to run unlimited power for unlimited time, it is still in spec. The limits are optionally there for system builders to use weaker cooling systems.

Ref: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1458...ng-an-interview-with-intel-fellow-guy-therien
Worth a read if you have any interest at all in how modern Intel CPUs are specified.

It is my understanding that Intel have boosts for various given number of active cores, but they generally only advertise base and single core turbo. Usually I have to go to one of Anandtech, wikichip, or wikipedia to try and find out what the turbo is at 2 to all cores, with all core turbo being the more interesting.
Correct. Only recently they have stopped listing each boost clock for a core count.. so I simplified things... too much.

My point still remains though. :)

You're right, I believe I saw it on linus video when he was reviewing new AMD's
Rooster - boost (corrector). :p

I dunno. I watch these silly videos and I guess "self tuning" to me, matched with sensors and some sort of algorithm, would be considered "artificially intelligent" to some sort of degree.
He says self aware. I dunno. lol.
If I'm way out in left field, I'm sorry for that. But having interest in AI, robotics, also computing..... Most civil people actually have no idea how much AI is implemented in everyday life even right down to the PC you are using. W10 anyone? Google? FaceBook junkies, the stock market? .... refrigerators?? :bang head

Well, terminology aside, my Ryzen 2700 has a boost clock of 4.2 ghz which when I monitor it I only see that under idle and light loads here and there occasionally at default settings. So I guess I have "underclocked" it, technically speaking, on all cores, to 4.05 ghz to get a 20% better score when running Cinebench R20 than I do at default values and a definitely snappier boot up experience on top of that. Call it what you want, but it performs like an "overclock" to me.

Well, you were in spec turbo boosted, but now you're out of spec underclocked. Warranty void.

Well, terminology aside, my Ryzen 2700 has a boost clock of 4.2 ghz which when I monitor it I only see that under idle and light loads here and there occasionally at default settings. So I guess I have "underclocked" it, technically speaking, on all cores, to 4.05 ghz to get a 20% better score when running Cinebench R20 than I do at default values and a definitely snappier boot up experience on top of that. Call it what you want, but it performs like an "overclock" to me.

Sometimes when I fold, I run P-State FID 0x880 - VID 0x59 (32.00x - 0.994 V) bumped to 33x 1v for nice cool temps and decent power usage to folding ratios.
If gaming I just set the multi to 41x and leave everything else on auto except memory timings and LLC on high. I do disable the boost almost always. Rather have everything stable then fluctuating everywhere as it feels fit to.
If needing even extra horse power, I disbale SMT and can run the Max FXR on all 8 cores (sometimes less cores) at 4350Mhz. (generally I do nothing that uses more than 8 cores.)
And towards the thread topic all the above on the stock air cooler.

Last edited:
Trents, Sir, perhaps it drops out of turbo under load due to temps?

Taco, I think the turbo behavior I witness at default clocks and voltages is normal. All cores running simultaneously at 4.2 ghz is not how these CPUs are set up. I assure you temps are not the issue.

It might be broken.
Turbo should be active during light loads, not only when idle.

Can you just run them at full speed, 1 clock? Do you have to have turbo and all that enabled? Can you oc it like an old intel with no green stuff turned on? Or are those days gone?

Right now all cores are all on the same clock, 4.05 ghz as indicated in my Sig. I can turn them all up faster if I add more vcore but the VRM poops out, climbing to over 100c. Pulls 144 watts at 4.05 under load, according to HWInfo64. The VRM components on the north side of the socket are not sinked, as is the case with all ITX boards. Most or all of the green stuff is automatically disabled when you choose manual OC mode from what I can tell.

Just screw dwn a piece of aluminum to it? Or glue dwn.
I remember doing something similar to my ex speed controller circuitry. Worked well! Why cook components?

Actually, I do have some small individual copper mosfet heat sinks made by Enoz on those north side mosfets. Not sure it helped any. Keep in mind this is a mini ITX case so it is pretty cramped. Air circulation is not great.

Actually, I do have some small individual copper mosfet heat sinks made by Enoz on those north side mosfets. Not sure it helped any. Keep in mind this is a mini ITX case so it is pretty cramped. Air circulation is not great.

Sounds like you need more RGB

But seriously this is what I use to do. Super ghetto but works really good.

Figure out the shape and size you have to work with. Now look at laptop heatsinks and heat pipes. Get one that putts the little heatsink where you got room. Now dremal off some of the cpu mount and attach with thermal epoxy.

Use to cool all kinds of little stuff like that back in the day. The heatsinks come in tons of shapes and sizes and are dirt cheap.

Back