• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can this be? Air better than water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a "reasonably priced" AIO, and over 1.4v vcore when it ramps up, so I'm doing ok. The summer temps here are insane so I don't use them to test anything but my patience. 90F+ isn't unusual in my living room this time of year. I have a big Marantz amplifier, my rig, and an air cooled FX 8370 rig going all at once. I was going to get an A/C unit next month, but that's up in the (hot) air right now. LOL

In Arizona. Thinking of *maybe* getting AC.
That's in Arizona, folks. One brave man.

I respect that.

In Arizona. Thinking of *maybe* getting AC.
That's in Arizona, folks. One brave man.

I respect that.

It's dry heat. I grew up in Southern California. My folks' home had an attic fan that sufficed, even in the summer with daytime temps over 100F. Nights were always cool because of the dry air. Not having AC in SC, in Nev, in AZ is OK.

No AC in South Carolina? That cnt be right..
I mean, depends on your tolerance levels..

It's dry heat.

So's a pizza oven and a clothes dryer. "Dry" means nothing at 115F-120F+ and overnight lows at 100F+. It's hot, not dry hot, just freakin' hot. Monsoon season has started, so today is 90F and 50% humidity-until it rains again. When I lived in SC summers were 90F and 80% humidity. I wouldn't live in NV on a bet, so I have no idea about there.

No AC in South Carolina? That cnt be right..
I mean, depends on your tolerance levels..

If you were from the West, you would know that SC stands for Southern California. South Carolina -- who ever thinks of that? I guess Sherman did. It led the secession movement. But certainly no one in God's Country would think of such a place. ;-))

If you were from the West, you would know that SC stands for Southern California. South Carolina -- who ever thinks of that? I guess Sherman did. It led the secession movement. But certainly no one in God's Country would think of such a place. ;-))

When did California become God's country? I thought He was illegal there.

When did California become God's country? I thought He was illegal there.

He is still legal in North and East California. He is only illegal in Silicon Valley and SF. He is legal in AZ and non-LV Nev.

He is still legal in North and East California. He is only illegal in Silicon Valley and SF. He is legal in AZ and non-LV Nev.

Yes. In many states, the social/political climate is skewed by large urban areas. The folks in the hinterland see things very differently. I'm worried that if AOC and her buddies manage to get their way, overclocking will be outlawed because it is not "green." Yep, it will be right up there with flatulent bovines.

Yep, it will be right up there with flatulent bovines.

If they're a problem, then Occasional-Cortex should probably just shut up since nothing but bulls*** comes out of her mouth. Just sayin'.

edit: I know, I know. Too close to the edge. I'm reeling it back in now, ED. :D

Ahahaa... The bean bags. "Cry" the fans are too loud"
omg that was funny.

Don't gamers use headphones now? I thought I was the only one left using surround sound lol.

Well I guess we can take care of the cow flatus okay using negative case pressure: little fan in the mouth and a bigger one in the, uh, rear. Come to think of it, maybe that's what AOC needs.

:rofl:

Ahahaa... The bean bags. "Cry" the fans are too loud"
omg that was funny.

Don't gamers use headphones now? I thought I was the only one left using surround sound lol.

I'm still using surround sound Shrimpy, but I'm old like you.

I'm using two channel stereo, sometimes Sennheiser cans with the same two channels. Does that make me old? Or did all the birthdays do it to me? (Two marriages and a redhead did it to me, IMO. :D )

I have a NAD, so I leave it in "Enhanced Stereo" most of the time, which is just stereo through all of the channels, but provides a more robust bass signal than just stereo. I switch to Multichannel in the CP for when I want to run DD/DTS, or a game. I am tempted to leave this multi channel stuff behind and go back to a "good" stereo. But I would have to sell this and buy one :/

Ok back on topic, back when the FX9590 came out I got 1 and went through 3 coolers, 2 air and 1 water (V6GT, V8GTS and Nepton 280L) all 3 failed, I lost on the silicon lottery, the Nepton 280L lasting the longest under load.
I then replaced the FX9590 with FX8350, and the temps on the 8350 under max load maxed at 30c (30c as reported by HWM), then the pump on the AIO failed after 3 months, then swapped with V6GT with the same temps as the Nepton 280L.
So if the cooler (air or water) is not rated at or above the power the CPU is pulling (OC'd or not) then there will be high temps.

Yes indeed. Big CPU's like x58, x79, x99 hexa, and up put out real heat.. I cant speak for AMD as of late, but have read the older ones chew a fair bit.. but intel quads may be hot, but they don't put out real heat like the higher cored ones do. If it has a 130w tdp, that's where it starts.. and could escalate quite quickly from there. Jeebus my x5690 hates trees. That thing is such a pig when you wind it up. I know those AMD guys were complaining about that 250w tdp, but I can blow by that with ease lol. When I had my current cooler on it I was able to get it fairly warm.. my 3770k cant do it. But dam that quad can run hot if you let it. I do, because I have seen intel laptop CPUs take 100c in stride, they are pretty tough.. My K has spent a fair bit of time closer to the 100c mark than I would like to admit. Besides, it will just restart if it thinks its too hot :D

I should just delid it :thup:

Back