• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I make a shroud to my CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whoa, very detailed reply. Thanks :)

Would this work OK to you guys' opinoins?

duct.JPG

Last edited:
you check this out man, its my old dell, i finally found my website.

THe green thing on the sidepanel shot is the duct the fan is the the right of the case and blows on the heatsink, hope this helps.

MAKE SURE YOU SCROLL DOWN Till you see side panel shot, its that the green thing

LINK FOR PICTURES

No, that green duct is a Dell thing... comes with all of them (at least Dimension series)

Gogetadbl, you're sketch will work great. a 120mm fan would probably outperform an 80 or 92mm, depending on how loud they are!

Thats what you should do!

gogetadbl said:
Wow nice, did you make the duct yourself?

Ffats said:
No, that green duct is a Dell thing... comes with all of the dimension series

exactly right ffats, i did not make that duct gogetadbl but its very basic and simplist and very efficient. But since ijust got my new computer i dont use that dell no more..even tho i still miss it.

And Gogetadbl, do what ffatssays get a nice 120 mm fan, i haveone that is 4cm thick now that baby MOVES SOME NICE AIR! :D

Lord_Zoltan said:

exactly right ffats, i did not make that duct gogetadbl but its very basic and simplist and very efficient. But since ijust got my new computer i dont use that dell no more..even tho i still miss it.

And Gogetadbl, do what ffatssays get a nice 120 mm fan, i haveone that is 4cm thick now that baby MOVES SOME NICE AIR! :D

heh thanks, so should I just take out the fan that's on my heatsink?

Hmm actually i think it be sweet if you had a 120 on the case then one on the heatsink... im not sure if that would work but thats what i would do..experiment.

God Luck :D

IMHO, you're on a good track. 120mm on the case side panel should be enough, but some people have gotten good results using two fans in series. Like the man says, experiment and let us know what works for you.

The downy sheet might constrict the air flow a lot, I don't know. I've heard of using drier sheets, pantyhose, mesh from screen door/window, etc. Please, try it with and without, and let us know the the temp dif. Putting my fine pore filters in place raises my CPU temp only 2°C and keeps the dust out very well. I'm curious to know how much difference drier sheets make.

Oh yeah, and pix when you're done :D

n8x2 said:
IMHO, you're on a good track. 120mm on the case side panel should be enough, but some people have gotten good results using two fans in series. Like the man says, experiment and let us know what works for you.

The downy sheet might constrict the air flow a lot, I don't know. I've heard of using drier sheets, pantyhose, mesh from screen door/window, etc. Please, try it with and without, and let us know the the temp dif. Putting my fine pore filters in place raises my CPU temp only 2°C and keeps the dust out very well. I'm curious to know how much difference drier sheets make.

Oh yeah, and pix when you're done :D

Planning on this stuf asap, after vacation :). I'd take pics if i owned a digital camera :(

I dont know much about this stiff but if the duct was airtight having two fans (one on the sink and one on the case) would be bad for the fans i think, I started athread about having two fans stacked to see the effects [url]http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204310&highlight=double+type+thing[/url]. I never got round to actually doing it but a lot of people said some interesting things about having the fans in series. Hope it helps, I might try the duct thing myself after seeing this, my temp is always about 50-60 c so I coulddo with a cheap solution.

Back