• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I overclock my PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReaperPHX01

v2zibl.jpg

I have not tried to overclock anything and amd wondering how to overclock and maybe get 2.6 or higher without over heating the cpu and gpu. Could anyone please help step by step would be nice and I'm not that compputer suave in the overclocking area.

Manufacturer: Custom
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 9750
Memory: 8gig DDR2 1066 (PC2-8500) Kingston Hyperx
Hard Drive: 320gig Seagate SATA internal and 1 Seagate 1.5Tb external USB
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6950 2Gb 1 built in fan
Monitor: LG W2253VP
Sound Card: Onboard
Speakers/Headphones: Plantronics GameCom 7.1 Dolby Surround Sound Gaming Headset
Keyboard: Logitech K120 USB
Mouse: Logitech Gaming Mouse G500 USB
Mouse Surface: Tt eSports Mouse Pad
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M
Computer Case: Thermaltake v3
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W
CPU Fan: Thermaltake tr2 r1
Case Fans: 5 Thermaltake 120mm Blue-eyes and 1 Thermaltake 80mm Blue-eyes
Card reader: generic usb card reader
camera: Logitech h120 usb
DVD Drive: ASUS DVD/rw SATA
Fan Control: AEROCOOL F6XT
Printer: CANNON Pixma MP250 USB

I hope this helps with what I got and would be happy to find out how to over clock my pc. Please if anyone can help me I would be much appreciated.

Please Help

I'm really computer ignorant when it comes to doing the overclocking unless I see pics or have been told exactly where to in my bios or where ever it is to go to overclock I will just f@@@ up and cause more issues and have to spend $$$$$$ that I should not have to to repair or replace what I f@@@ up. So please could someone help me out in this area as I want to overclock my CPU and GPU to the best running performance I can. I play alot of the Battlefield games and would like to be at peak performance that my PC can handle stable.

You can overclock your video card using the Catalyst utility or MSI Afterburner for example.
It's really easy, just don't go to nuts with the memory clocks, and focus on getting the best base clocks as possible.
For your particular gpu a standard oc would be 1070mhz for the core and 1300mhz memory clocks.
Then regarding your cpu there's an excellent guide that helps achieve 4.5ghz on your I7 with ease.
Here's the link: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693613
Good luck!

There are overclocking guides for your CPU located in this section. We can give specific help as well, just not me (Intel owner). Take a look at teh guides so you become familiar with the concepts and some terminology and things will go well. :)

You can overclock your video card using the Catalyst utility or MSI Afterburner for example.
It's really easy, just don't go to nuts with the memory clocks, and focus on getting the best base clocks as possible.
For your particular gpu a standard oc would be 1070mhz for the core and 1300mhz memory clocks.
Then regarding your cpu there's an excellent guide that helps achieve 4.5ghz on your I7 with ease.
Here's the link: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693613
Good luck!

Oh, terribly sorry! I mistaken your chip with an Intel one...Check Dolks guide for overclocking phenoms! :p
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669841&highlight=dolk+phenom

I was wondering about using the AMD Overdrive Utility to overclock my pc. I have not tried it yet but am wondering about how well it is.

It works fine. But o/c should be done in the bios. Check out the guides we talked about until an AMD guru (Trents, Rgone!) come by.

Just a quickie since it is older processor anyway.

Processor: AMD Phenom x4 9750 2400 MHz B3 Stepping. [NOT a Phenom 2 Processor]
533 MHz Memory controller
One 1800 MHz 16-bit HyperTransport link

ASUS M4A785-M

Page #51 and #52 of your manual.

Advanced Menu:

Jumper Free Configuration < Highlight and press ENTer key.

Choose CPU Overclocking >> Overclock Options (default auto)

Choose [Overclock 5%]

Choose F10 to save and exit.

That should overclock your cpu speed by about 5% and at that 5% rate it uually does not
fail to work unless the ram becomes mis-set but I see the ram is already running at DDR800 so it should be okay.

Would run Prime95 for at least 2 hours if it does not fail or error in some manner. I would run HWMonitor in the background open and logging min/max temps for the duration of Prime95 testing. That way you can monitor min/max voltages and CPU Core Temps which should not exceed 55c.

That procedure if it works without error in testing with Prime95 is the easiest way to get that minimal overclock you spoke of since that is a very much older CPU with B3 stepping.

Thanks for the help RGone I was able to OC the cpu to 2.5GHz with the temps around 51c. I did notice however that my RAM is running lower than what I had aquired. I bought the Kingston Hyperx (PC2-8500) DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15 2.2v a total of 8Gig (4x2g). I was wondering if there is a way to make sure that the RAM gets up to the settings. Thank you for your assistance.

Thanks for the help RGone I was able to OC the cpu to 2.5GHz with the temps around 51c. I did notice however that my RAM is running lower than what I had aquired. I bought the Kingston Hyperx (PC2-8500) DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15 2.2v a total of 8Gig (4x2g). I was wondering if there is a way to make sure that the RAM gets up to the settings. Thank you for your assistance.

Probably not very easy to run ram at DDR1066 and without a lot of trial and error it is not even for sure that older configuration can run DDR1066 with four sticks. AMD had at one time required that bios set DDR800 ram speeds when the board sees 4 sticks installed.

ok thank you I was just wondering about it cause i know I had bought the 1066 and not the 800 which it say I have.

What RGone said. IMO the DDR2 1066 standard that AMD and motherboard manufactures advertised was very misleading. Very few people were able to run AM2+ systems at that speed in any kind of stable fashion. It was only attainable with select memory modules and with limited memory amounts. I was able to get there with a Phenom I X3 when I got an AM2+ motherboard with Advance Clock Calibration or "ACC". You hear about ACC mostly in connection with core unlocking but originally it was developed to help Phenom I CPUs attain greater stability when overclocked. I at least was able to boot into Windows with the DDR2 1066 ram running at 1066 mhz with the CPU at stock speeds and voltages and do some casual computing. I never did stress test it or try to overclock it.

Back