• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you remove epoxy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chepocks

Registered
I just brought out my old Stealth g460 videocard, froze it and popped off the heatsink. Theres alot of adhesive left thats pretty much solid. I dont want to have to freeze it again so is there some solution to soften it up a bit so I can chip or scrape it off?

Epoxy is a thermoharder as far as I know, this means that there is not a lot you can do to soften it up. If there are chemicals that can do that, they will probably also damage your card....I think the best way to remove the epoxy is just to continue on the mechanical way.

I think the whole point of epoxy is that it [udoesn't come off[/u]. Try lapping it off. Seriously. Note I'm not responsible for your actions, they are yours alone. If you grab a belt sander and think it's a good idea to make your GPU the same height as the PCB, please don't blame me.

ya i agree lapping was the only way i could ever get it clean :(

i tried out some mek or something like that on an old voodoo and now the card is dead :( safer to lap then try chemicals

Yep, thought so. I even thought of spot freezin it with my trusty tank o CO2 then chippin it off but then theres the moisture to worry about. I guess its lappin then.
Thanks for the info evry1!

Back