• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much higher than ambient temperature does your CPU run at IDLE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How much higher than ambient temperature does your CPU run at IDLE?

• 3 degrees higher or less

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • between 4 degrees and 8 degrees higher

Votes: 29 34.5%
  • between 9 degrees and 13 degrees higher

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • between 14 degrees and 18 degrees higher

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • between 19 degrees and 23 degrees higher

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • more than 24 degrees higher

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

E4300

I noticed that when my ambient temperature is 23 degrees my cpu idles at 34, and when ambient is 28 my cpu idles at 39. Hence apparently my cpu always idles at 11 degrees higher than ambient.

I'm using Coretemp 0.95 to monitor the rig in my sig.

Please mention the type of CPU, type of cooler and the program with which you monitor your CPU temperature.

Thanks!

[And thanks to LutaWicasa for making this poll for me]

Edit: I might have used the incorrect terminology (english is not my native language) but by 'ambient' I meant the temperature in your computer room.

Last edited:
Currently ambient internal case temps are reading 27.1c and cpu is idling at 25c i am running e6300 with arctic freezer 7 with a mild overclock running @ 2.1ghz over 1.8ghz stock.

im running stock hsf on an intel PD945...not the greatest idea for keeping cool.....runs at 18C over ambient...just bought myself a nice, i would say little but its not, titan amanda...cant wait for it to come. wooot

I FEEL BAD IDLING AT 44C NOW:(

46/47c when its comfortable in the room and 38c when i make it chilly....... don't think i could handle it on air.........

Oc1Kenube said:
Currently ambient internal case temps are reading 27.1c and cpu is idling at 25c i am running e6300 with arctic freezer 7 with a mild overclock running @ 2.1ghz over 1.8ghz stock.

Ambient is the air temp outside the case. Also, there is no way your CPU temp is lower than your case temp if you're using air. Are you sure you're looking at the right sensors?

Sort of related, here is a thread I put together that shows the effect of ambient temp on CPU load temps.

e6600 running stock speeds, stock hsf, Arctic Silver5 , DS3

Ambient temp is 26.7c
Idle temp is 33c

Radical said:
Ambient is the air temp outside the case. Also, there is no way your CPU temp is lower than your case temp if you're using air. Are you sure you're looking at the right sensors?

Yes im looking at right sensors i have a lcd temp display with 3 temp sensors located in top of the case and i read cpu with speedfan, i do believe that heat rises so it should be possible that the air around the cpu is cooler than the sensors + the air is being pushed through the hsf which will cool the air and expels at the back and through the psu

My computer room is between 24.5C and 26.5C and Core Temp shows my idle temp between 23C and 25C, which is kinda impossible. Abit uGuru shows my idle around 30C and I think it's probably closer to reality.

everest shows CPU @ 1-3C > system
waterCooling with radiator exhausting from a cramped Sonata.
I need to redesign my airflow; or my loop; or both.

saladCzar said:
everest shows CPU @ 1-3C > system
waterCooling with radiator exhausting from a cramped Sonata.
I need to redesign my airflow; or my loop; or both.
Hey & :welcome: to OC Forums

I feel your pain, I have a Sonata mid-tower too. I've drilled two 4 1/2" holes in my side panel to add intake fans, also moved my pump, rad & rez into a bucket outside the case. Helped a lot with airflow & water cooling. :)

thanks,
My biggest issue with my Sonata is that I'm attached to it. I made a maple and Brazilian cherry facade for it a couple of years ago and now I can't bring myself to move on. And yes its got holes in both sides and top & bottom.

My cores are 18 and 26, actually lower then room temp or case temp at idle. Room temp is about 73 or 74f. Seems strange but I just reversed my fans to blow in from the back and out the front and idle temps dropped at least 10c. I also glued my 120mm directly to the stock heatpipe as the spacers I tried raised the core temps. Just browsing here raises it to 25c and running Orthos it runs about 58c with the other at 50.

saladCzar, if you post any pics of your case please PM a link to me. I'd like to see the wood work.
Thanks

It really depends on what the vcore is and what room temp is too.

For example, I ran my Q6600 @ its stock setting of 9x266 varying only the vcore - all other settings were held constant. The two voltages I used were 1.112 V and 1.232 V (both of these are the load voltage, the actual BIOS settings were 1.1375V and 1.2625V respectively).

2x orthos ran for 30 minutes and the temperatures were averaged over the last 10 minutes of those runs (well after they stabilized). Room temps was 75-76 °F. Notice that the difference in voltage is ONLY 0.120 V or 120 mV, but this seemingly small difference brought the load temps up by an average of 6-7 °C per core!

Code:
Run1 (9x266 @ 1.112 V), Average temps (°C): 51,52,50,50
Run2 (9x266 @ 1.232 V), Average temps (°C): 57,58,57,57
Differences (°C): +6, +6, +7, +7

I have a 4300 @ 3000 MHz @ 1,42 V.

I use the Core Temp 0.95 for reporting. My cooler is a TR Ultra-120 Extreme with a Silenx 120 x 120 x 38 mm, 90 cfm.

With a Temp Amb of 22ºC it idles @ 34/35ºC

Back