• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how often should u add PT nuke?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiteSmoker17

i recently had to break down my loop after only having it running for 3-4 months. I had to break it down because it was green with algea. I am using distiled water with a kill coil and PT nuke. Both came with my xspc kit. On the label of PT nuke it says 1 drop per liter. I followed the instructions and had to clean the system already.

Wow! Pictures please? Did you buy the Kill Coil and PT Nuke from the same etailer you bought the XSPC Kit and which etailer was it? Either that's a bad coil or you really had a party inside your loop. Did you use colored fluilds? What metals are mixed?

I want to see some pics too!!

I am just using silver coil, and have been clean for almost 2 years.
there must be a 'breathable' spot on your loop for that to happen!! is the top of the reservoir tightly sealed?

Sunlight. UV lights in the rig. Used components that weren't cleaned well. Insufficient prep in general. System open to the air in some way. Water was not actually "distilled" or left open somewhere before use. There are quite a few factors that could account for that.

No matter what, it still sucks though. Make sure you clean thoroughly.

You shouldn't have to add PT Nuke more than once at the very beginning. I'll admit that I once added some to a loop that I saw stuff growing in to "stop the bloom" in a manner of speaking. All that did was buy me a little time before I had to break down the loop though. Even if it's dead, it still gunks things up.

Are you sure it's algae? Post pics!

i usually put two drops in my loop i also have a silver coil.

XSPC kits don't come with Silver and PT nuke do they? Don't think so.

Depends on the exact kit. There are a lot of different options if you look on Amazon. Some come with a Kill Coil, some come with Deadwater. I don't see any in a brief search that come with both, or any that come with PT Nuke. Who knows.

I'm wondering about clouding as well, that's why I asked for pics. What sort of tubing do the XSPC kits use? 3-4 months is about right to start seeing plasticizer leeching.

I use 2 drops of deadwater along with the coil for uber protection. lol That's it.

The kits are notorious of coming with crappy tubing that ends up clouding. I've seen folks that buy the kit also purchase some good tubing.

Yes, OP please load up some pics for us.

Others have complained about tubing in xspc kits turning green and cloudy in a few months time, wonder if that is the issue, but yeah would like to see pics. I remember thread on overclock.net where users were complaining about it, but searching google didnt find that one, but found this one...
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=349693

sorry guys i already cleanded it out and got new tubing so no pics. Also my kit came with deadwater and a kill coil from frozenpc, not PT as i thought in OP. It is a closed system not near a window or "sunlight" in general. that is why when i opend case to do some fan swapping and saw the tubes i was like....wtf?
The distiled water was walmart brand and everything was warm/hot water flushed prior to assembly. No UV lights and yes my Res is sealed.
that is why i was asking about the algea. i didnt think there should be that happening as soon as it did much less at all.
When i do my next breakdown ll have to do a better job at sanatation.

from my order history from frozen pc....

XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Extreme Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit (New Rev. 4 Pump Included) w/ Free Dead-Water!

No pics of what is actually considered algae. So we'll never know I guess.

Learned a lot NS, I bet. Next time tell us what you actually got with the kit. It's science.

I've put some nasty crap in my loops back in the day before biocides were available and never had those issues. I'm betting bad water or setup.

new update. got green again. i broke down the loop on sunday and tryed to flush out the tubes with CLR and bleach. here is pics of the tubes in the sink. i had to replace the tubes with new. im believing this is a result of having my pc by my window. My case has a side window...
20131103_150245.jpg
20131103_150249.jpg
20131103_150257.jpg

from start to finish this is my method..

I use distilled water and the biocide that came with my kit. I also have a silver kill coil in-line. When i did the last rebuild i used 10 drops of the biocide in a loop consisting of a 240mm rad the res/pump and the cpu block with aprox 2' of 1/2id tube. Im guessing 1-1 1/2L of distiled water. In this rebuild i used new distilled water that has been soft boiled in a microwave that was allowed to cool, covered before putting into loop. all componets have been hot water heated to help kill growth. i asked my father in-law, who used to work for the city in the water treatment dept and is an avid computer junky. came by and supervised this rebuild with sugestions of heating the water. in this build i have used 10 more drops of biocide will use 10 more each month to help stop this issue.

Does anyone think that adding UV light would help fend off the growth or help it in the long run?

I do understand that in a closed loop that is steriale there should no be any microbial growth but this is my third rebuild in a year so any other thoughts or suggestions would be of great help.....since it keeps happening to me.

also could a mod change the title to "biocide" instead of "pt nuke"?? please and thank you

Dead-Water!

Is the green isolated to just the tubes or is/was it in the loop? Is their gunk in the block? If you used the same "dead water" again maybe you need to get some new biocide, maybe it's just a batch or something. I use dead water also and clean my loop every 6 months and there is no signs of anything it mine.

All I see is discolored cheap tubing, like 500 or so pics of other builds with similar issues in past, especially when everyone was using cheap tubing. I dont see any algae.

Buy some primochill advanced LRT tubing without plasticizer. All the biocide in the world wont stop crappy tubing from discoloring.

And you only need 1-2 drops of copper sulphate per liter, any more than that may add to discoloration.

Agree with rge. Looks like my uniform brown discolored Masterkleer tubing when it had plasticizer breakdown from using it longer than 1 year.

Back