• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how often should u add PT nuke?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sorry guys i already cleanded it out and got new tubing so no pics. Also my kit came with deadwater and a kill coil from frozenpc, not PT as i thought in OP. It is a closed system not near a window or "sunlight" in general. that is why when i opend case to do some fan swapping and saw the tubes i was like....wtf?
The distiled water was walmart brand and everything was warm/hot water flushed prior to assembly. No UV lights and yes my Res is sealed.
that is why i was asking about the algea. i didnt think there should be that happening as soon as it did much less at all.
When i do my next breakdown ll have to do a better job at sanatation.

from my order history from frozen pc....

XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Extreme Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit (New Rev. 4 Pump Included) w/ Free Dead-Water!

I'm guessing you used tap water to flush the system? That's a no no. It leaves deposits.... metals minerals and biological behind.

A loop exposed to oxygen will generate growth.

When you fill, go all the way to the top no air if possible.

Sometimes when a loop is down for a large amount of time growth can occur. Best to run the system/pump once a week or so to keep kill coil active or any other ingredients applied stirred into the water.

Pretty much gathered all this from experience. Saw in your post your not near sun light, but growth can occur without light at all. All different kinds of growth can occur in the dark. Green is just a pigment and be glad you can see it. I've pulled loops apart that where caked in clear slime that had the same ill effect on a cooling loop.

Food for thoughts.

no guys this is not bad tubes. this is green algae that had turned brown after i had tryed to kill and remove the growth with bleach. i had to break down my loop because my psu went out this last week and when i get my new psu im going with just my kill coil. and by the way that set of pics was from 3 months of use.

Last edited:
Water cooling is expensive no matter which way you slice it. Tubing is the cheapest part, don't skimp on it.

Bleach is horribly acidic, make sure you flush and clean all your parts well before re-assembly.

I don't understand why people are so resistant to biocides these days. I see a lot of people relying on a small piece of silver all by itself. A little Copper Sulfate along with some silver of some kind is a real double-whammy for growth protection in a loop. They're synergistic when used together.

Sorry to read about your bad results, dev. :( That was a nice setup you put together.

no guys this is not bad tubes. this is green algae that had turned brown after i had tryed to kill and remove the growth with bleach. i had to break down my loop because my psu went out this last week and when i get my new psu im going with just my kill coil. and by the way that set of pics was from 3 months of use.

To me it still seems like bad tubing because I had the same issue on my first loop back in the day.

What brand tubes are you running?

It could also be a little growth as well hard to say honestly. Distilled water, kill coil and PTNuke is pretty much the defacto in any loop I do for myself or others. Even near a window the growth wouldn't be that bad after 3 months.

Primochill advanced LRT tubing like RGE said. This is pretty much the only stuff I ever use because it is quality stuff and the walls won't buckle. Plus come on, it comes in some nice colors. . . even though I ran all black tubing in my rig.

Last edited:
You guys that clean your tubing, you can get a long flexible tubing brush at most aquarium supply shops.

UV kills algae, I have UV's in fresh water tanks and in 50k gallon outdoor ponds. It causes the algae cell to rupture, the dead cell turns brown and may cling to the wall of the tubing.

UV kills algae, I have UV's in fresh water tanks and in 50k gallon outdoor ponds. It causes the algae cell to rupture, the dead cell turns brown and may cling to the wall of the tubing.

That's not exactly true. The sun releases UV, plenty of which makes it to earth's surface, but algae still exists on the surface of earth - so UV doesn't instantly kill algae. UV can kill microbes in sufficient concentration, but my understanding is that that concentration is high enough that it's impractical for our purposes.

That's not exactly true. The sun releases UV, plenty of which makes it to earth's surface, but algae still exists on the surface of earth - so UV doesn't instantly kill algae. UV can kill microbes in sufficient concentration, but my understanding is that that concentration is high enough that it's impractical for our purposes.

I never said anything about killing algae instantly. It does kill it fast enough that I can take a 6 foot UV tube and turn 20K gallon outdoor pond from pea green to clear in a weeks time. So I maintain that UV kills algae.

Your analogy of sunlight releasing UV is correct to a point, but the sun provides much more light spectrum than just uv.

The sun delivers electromagnetic radiation that we perceive as "light", 4% of the sun's light is ultraviolet radiation, 52% infrared radiation and 44% visible light.

All plants, including algae absorb light in a higher spectrum ( 380-750 nm) than UV (10-400 nm) light. My numbers may be off a few % as I'm working from memory (or lack of).

Bottom line, UV light in a computer case does not cause algae, but other visible light can/will cause algae.

Bottom line, UV light in a computer case does not cause algae, but other visible light can/will cause algae.

I misunderstood your assertion. I thought you were trying to say that UV would help reduce algae. I completely agree that it won't contribute to algae growth.

Yea, but there's a tremendous difference in scale for any sort of personal computer cooling.

True that, with aquariums you have much more than the water temp, you also have alkalinity (ph) salinity, flow and filtration. It's harder to keep organisms alive than it is to kill them.

How do you think this h2o cooling started some 20 years ago.. with guys using aquarium pumps and tubing and modded automotive heater cores. It's still the same basics, just with much nicer equipment. Besides, there are high end saltwater aquariums that make the multi pump computers look like a soda straw in comparison.

Back