• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212 EVO + FX 8350?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxicsock

Registered
Hey guys!

I want to upgrade my FX 4130 to a 8350 and I was just wondering if the current heat sink that I have (Hyper 212 EVO by Cooler Master) would be sufficient enough to cool the 8350? What temps should I be expecting on idle and load with this cooler?

Thanks!

Yes, the CM Hyper 212 EVO is an adequate cooler for the FX8350 for mild to mid overclocks. I would add a second 120mm fan for a push/pull configuration and verify proper/adequate case air flow.

Hey guys!

I want to upgrade my FX 4130 to a 8350 and I was just wondering if the current heat sink that I have (Hyper 212 EVO by Cooler Master) would be sufficient enough to cool the 8350? What temps should I be expecting on idle and load with this cooler?

Thanks!
Before you go jumping all over the Fx 8 series, what motherboard are you planning on putting it on? It is vital that it is put on a high quality motherboard if you want any type of performance from it.

Before you go jumping all over the Fx 8 series, what motherboard are you planning on putting it on? It is vital that it is put on a high quality motherboard if you want any type of performance from it.

You said a mouthful right there. :thup:

Generally speaking MSI and 8 core FX processors go together like oil and water. That being said you do have one of the better MSI boards and may be able to do something with it. That will all depend on your cooling method. You will want maximum air flow and a great cooler on the CPU. Your biggest problem will most likely be the VRM, North Bridge and socket temps as your CPU cooler do little to lower these temps, but that is a bridge we can cross when we get to it.

This is my current motherboard: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/990XA-GD55.html

I've been reading mixed reviews about this motherboard and its compatibility with the 8350. I'm not planning to OC any time soon.
If you're only planning on running stock clocks, the Cm 212 Evo is a great cooler for the money and should perform nicely with the 8350.

The board you have, on paper, should be plenty stout for the 8350. Though what Blaylock said is true. MSI boards of the past have bitten people in the rears because their Vrm sections were made with inferior electronics. I personally have had 2 lesser Msi boards go pop on me and that left bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully, the board because it is supposed to be a higher end board will have better electronics and perform fine. You should also be able to overclock well on it as well, though you'll probably be limited to around 4.3-4.5 with the Cm 212 as far as heat goes.

I'm looking at this too, to replace the stock cooler.

Does anyone have the exact length of this cooler? specs says heatsink 6.3" but I wonder does that include the little copper nibs that appear stick out of the outside end? It matters because I could just manage the 6.3"

I'm looking at this too, to replace the stock cooler.

Does anyone have the exact length of this cooler? specs says heatsink 6.3" but I wonder does that include the little copper nibs that appear stick out of the outside end? It matters because I could just manage the 6.3"

According to the specs on the Temjin case listed in your signature, it is 8.27 " wide, the Cm 212should fit without issue. You can always go to the Coolermaster website and look at the specs on the 212 and see how they measure it.

Last edited:
I put a cm 212 in a case that was 8.0" and it was a tight fit. Nubs were touching the side panel, not ideal but works. You should have no issues.

Why would anyone recommend adding LN2 in a water loop. Especially after quoting OP's question about the CM 212 and expected temps. His posts are just baffling.

Back